Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
First big issue discovered...and...resolved!

We are taking our maiden voyage today in our 2013 3100RL. We are going to Yellowstone. Just when I thought I had locked the trailer for the last time and we were ready to pull away my son said he needed something from the trailer...UGH...so I opened her up one more time...when I heard something beeping. It turned out to be the refrigerator with a No Flow error. Evidently it wasn't getting any LP. So we did all the checks we could think of. Finally I told my husband to jump in the truck and lets race to dealership before they close.

They checked everything and the head tech finally figured out that the kitchen side slide had kinked the hose. So he rotated the fitting to give a little more space and moved a cable tie the factory had installed back a little. Thought we should post so everyone with a new rig knows to test the flow of LP with slides IN before they go somewhere. We would have ended up in Yellowstone with no LP or a broken line because it was kinked pretty bad.

The head tech also figured out that the factory installed our slide turn offs backwards...the ODS (off driver side) was actually contolling the Driver Side (DS) slide. They will fix that when we get back.

Crises averted but unfortunately it will make for a late night of parking our rig for the first time, in a very tight spot at Fishing Bridge, in the pitch black! Oh well, it will make the adventure that much more exciting

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
And so the adventure begins. To be a RV'er you need to be extremely patient and resilient. I wonder when the manufacturers will embark on a program to significantly improve the quality of their product and of the products they purchase for installation in their trailers?
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's always something. Here's hoping that's all there is going to be.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You should report those problems to keystone. They need to know about shoddy workmanship. We are also having issues with our 3013 3402 Big Sky.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We too had the same problem with our 3100. I got a new hose out of the dealer and installed it myself so it wouldn't kink again, problem solved. But that was just one of many as you will find out.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Glad to hear that you found and solved the problem! Maybe we will run into each other since we are heading to YNP Friday. Grizzley RV Park until 9/13 but we spent a lot of time in Lamar Valley ear Fishing Bridge. Really great spot to see bears, wolves, elk, and buffalo. If you see a white F350 crew cab with Texas lic plates and a big yellow lab in the rear seat please say hi. Good Luck.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
These rigs take a beating on the road; something can go wrong at any time. Most of us get pretty handy at doing our own repairs. Part of the RV life. Enjoy Yellowstone!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
vetten

M.O.C. #12032
This forum is great. I purchased a new 2012 3100RL and have the exact problem. I just haven't had the time to investigate the issue. You guys more than likely will save me a few hours of time tracking down the cause. I will look for the hose kink. As for taking it to the dealer, I would rather do it myself.
vetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vetten

This forum is great. I purchased a new 2012 3100RL and have the exact problem. I just haven't had the time to investigate the issue. You guys more than likely will save me a few hours of time tracking down the cause. I will look for the hose kink. As for taking it to the dealer, I would rather do it myself.

That’s one of the things that make this forum so great!
Glad it worked out for you Carol.

On Edit: How did you're late night parking experience go?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
gar&lin
Established Member

M.O.C. #12171
BusyCarol, we wish you all the best in your new adventure! Wish you safe travels and many great experiences as you set out to enjoy all the good that lies ahead. This forum is a source of information and a great way to enjoy a lifestyle that we can't live at this point in our lives. All the best to you!
gar&lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

You should report those problems to keystone. They need to know about shoddy workmanship. We are also having issues with our 3013 3402 Big Sky.
Rich,
I am impressed.... Not only do you take pictures in the future but now you're taking them of RIGS from the future! Too bad Keystone has not yet solved their QC issues. You'd think that by the year 3013 they'd have that all figured out!

Couldn't resist, Rich. Have a great day. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gotta fix that future picture...Another person took that picture with their camera at a rally and we did not notice the back to the future date.
we have a appointmner at the service center before the rally and they can rebuild this thing.Little QC things but I have about had it with the wormanship issues.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

SNIP....
Little QC things but I have about had it with the wormanship issues.
Rich,
I have been impressed with some of the very issues you have mentioned. All our cabinet doors and drawers close very tightly. None have opened while traveling. As a matter of fact they may be a bit too tight. They are sometimes very difficult to open. I have also been impressed with the fact that the hydraulic lines as well as the electrical lines have all been routed and secured in a professional manner. This is a very nice improvement over our first rig which has stuff all over the place.

It's not that we don't have problems but they thus far have been very minor. Of course I got a big kick out of reading of your entertainment cable issue. I have exactly the same issue and it has been driving me crazier than I usually am. Obviously I'm not the only one who has had trouble.

But all in all this rig stands head and shoulders above our previous unit. I wish us all luck as we work to deal with all our problems. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
On both of our rigs, we were told that DS is our Dining Slide and ODS is our Opposing Dining Slide. Interesting...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are right Mike..ODS had me going. Dennis this is a much better unit than our 06 3400 but these little workmanship issues still annoy me.Toliet seat falling off, Sat and cable inputs reversed or wired wrong, Pocket door falling off, pantry door not closing, drawers not staying closed.
I could fix every one of them myself ,,but D$%#@ if I will. we have one drawer in the PC table that we have to pry open and the one above it will not stay shut. The little locking mechanism just rattles around.It was not even tightened down.How could they not notice the pantry door would not close.

This is a great unit and it draws a crowd wherever we are even in our driveway Folks stop just to see it.
yes this thing has tie raps and the wiring is much neater than the 06 3400. However a professional would get fired on the spot for the all over wiring.

That bundle of fuses in the front compartment is a disgrace in the best you can buy, top of the line, Montana product.

This is a industry wide issue...but we have a Montana and they can do better.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I am glad for the clarification on ODS vs. DS. Our dealership explained it wrong and the owners manual made no mention of them. We are on our way back from Yellowstone. What an adventure that was. I am writing a separate post on this mishaps and mayhem that occured.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their wisdom!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I just took my label maker and made new labels for the manifold. and I placed one on the door to the front so I had an additional guide without needing a flashlight. I know the newer rigs don't label the manifolds anymore but the label maker has made a lot of jobs easier..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
That is a great idea Exnavy diver. I will be breaking it out when I get home.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
travelinsparky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12412
Again it is the dealer who takes the time to explain the labels and do a good walk through. DS was explained as the door sidw and ODS as opisite door side which works. We were also cauctioned to be inside when closeing up to assure nothing was interfering with the slides. We have had a glass fall and get caught when opening. So one should use caution when opening and closiung. Wife close and opens while I level and connect. I was happy with our dealer hear in Iddaho (Bish) they have done a good job of fixing the little things. The biggest problem was some insulation had blocked the refreg vent and shut the frig down, found problem and fixed the problem with a new limit switch.
travelinsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks travelinsparky for the good tips on the slides. I do the slides and yell clear when I am ready to start opening or closing. Hubby walks around the outside and makes sure that I remain clear while they are going in or out. He does the connecting too. I told him that we should practice trading off in case there is ever a time when he is not feeling up to driving the rig.

Most people here, from what the dealer said and from the people we talked to, are not that thorough on their questions and do not want a long PDI. The dealer was amazed when I asked about what type of bulbs were in the fixtures I couldn't reach. He did not know....then I asked what the other buttons were on the fireplace...he didn't know. I asked the service guys and they said they had never been asked so they didn't know. They are very knowledgeable (compared to us) on the common stuff but not on the knitty gritty. However, my husband and I are VERY detail oriented so we wanted to know everything. Everyone at the dealerahip and all of our friends thought we were too concerned about the little stuff. HAHAHAHA! We have friends who have been using fifth wheels for years and we answered some of their questions and we haven't even been at it for a year!

Oh well...we will hunt down the answers to our questions and let the manufacturer know the issues we have had. Always room for improvement...especially in their owners manual and QC!