Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
low water pressure

We have pretty low pressure where we are & I turned on the water pump & it was boosted tremendously of course and also noisely of course. My question is can you run the pump while hooked up to city water or will it mess up the pump? Thanks. Dave

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave,
I've done it several times when water pressure is low. However, water is being drawn from you fresh water tank when you run the pump. You aren't boosting the pressure of the city water.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Orv said, the pump draws from the fresh water tank, not from the city water line. You could just refill the tank when it gets low if you need to use the pump for pressure.

I've found that those inline water pressure regulators tend to clog up after awhile and can really drop your pressure. You might try disconnecting the regulator to see if your pressure increases. If it does, then get a new regulator. I've even had regulators right off the shelf drop pressure too low for our tastes so we got an adjustable regulator from Home Depot of Lowe's (forgot which). It's a house type and requires you also put a fitting in each end of the regulator that has a hose type thread to fit your hoses. Those are also available at Home Depot and Lowe's, in the plumbing section. My regulator is set to just under 60 psi. That gives us good pressure without hurting the lines. Any more than 60 causes clean water to shoot out of the toilet bowl during a flush.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We thought our inlet for the toilet was blocked until we moved to another CG with better water pressure. Had no idea it was the pressure causing the problem. Go figure.
Happy Trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our CG in FL @ Mouse Mtn has a horrendously low water pressure. It would be great if we had a small pressure tank. Not sure the bladder that some have would serve the same purpose?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ours was low until I cleaned my water filter.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
The water pressure regulator and the size of the hose (1/2 inch versus 5/8 I believe it is). The larger the better. I also use a whole house regulator (as Steve describes above) and it makes a big difference in overall pressure.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We just recently put our new water regulator on that we purchased in Quartzsite. It is a Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator, but with stainless steel parts kit listed below installed, 2" diameter 0-160 gauge, 4-4.5 gpm Set it at just below 60psi...Wow! What a difference. Anyone want our old Wally World regulator?

Water Filter Store

In the past we have turned the water pump on at the same time as the city water...made a big difference in the amount of pressure.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote