Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Norcold Fridge/Freezer Died - Can I fix it?

I think the cooling parts went kablooey. The light in the fridge works fine, and the green LED is on for Automatic, but the food in the freezer is defrosting and getting room temp in the fridge. Just on a chance, I flipped all the kitchen breakers to off and back to on. I don't think it helped.

Figures, that this would happen 2 days after I spent a large chunk of money stocking up for the week-long winter storm... and I am unable to drive to get more food, and my usual food-getting person can only get food for me on weekends. Can you say horrible timing? My luck is just absolutely rotten.

Anyone know what could be wrong, and if I can fix it myself somehow? I am quite certain by the time I call one dealership or the other asking for help, and actually GET that help, all my food will be beyond saving. I only realized something wasn't right about 30 minutes after they closed for the day, when I bit into a chocolate covered ice cream cone and it imploded all over me. I can't put all my food outside to take advantage of the weather being so cold either because we have a large number of feral cats, and a few wolves in the area. I've seen the wolves at night while being driven, and I am told you can hear them howling nearby.

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Blamb,

Your unit is new. It still is covered by warranty. Get a call into them ASAP. In the meantime go to your neighbors and explain your problem. When our fridge quit on us we were in a CG a couple of hundred miles from home. Needed to save some frozen fish. Our neighbor was more than happy to help out. Stored it for a few days and had it all wrapped up for our trip home. Most neighbors will be more than happy to help you in your time of need. Just ask.

Some wire cages and or boxes that can't be easily opened should work to protect your food. If you opt to keep it outside and under your rig.

I did not realize wolves were that far south. I've never seen a wolf in the wild. And I've traveled a lot. Even in Yellowstone where they imported and released some back into the wild I didn't see them. Are you talking about 2 legged wolves? I've seen a lot of those.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
LOL I meant coyotes. I keep getting the names mixed up. Same thing in regards to food outside, though, just uglier.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
blamb, seems the Norcold in the TT we had would display error codes. Long time ago, short memory. Is yours displaying any codes?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I don't think mine is that fancy. All it displays is LED lights - green for automatic and orange for gas, flashing if no gas.

I just opened it to check something, and it seems to have corrected itself overnight? Very strange. But unfortunately, not before all the food reached room temp and the freezer food was defrosted, now I must figure out what is safe to keep. Maybe resetting the breakers did help after all, even though the lights in the fridge worked fine. I can't decide if I should call the dealership anyway, or wait until it does it again.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Blamb, did the freezer door perhaps stay ajar overnight? It don't have to be open much, just slightly and it will warm up inside.

Back to the error code, seems ours displayed a number (setting). The error code would be illuminated there. I'm sure the Norcold in the Montana is as high or higher grade than the one we had. I let our battery run down once; that's how I became aware of the error code.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I thought of that, but I learned my expensive lesson about that in the stick house and have this habit of pressing firmly on the doors to ensure they are shut whenever I opened them, so I am quite sure they were shut.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
blamb, since these freezers are not fan cooled inside like those in a stick house they tend to play catchup if you put a large amount of half frozen or un frozen stuff in them. We had about 12 lbs of fresh meat that we put in to freeze and within a few hours the ice cream had all melted. it refroze by the next day. If you have a large amount of unfrozen stuff to freeze put a little in the freezer each day till it is all frozen. Also get one of those small fridge fans that take a couple D cell batteries, they last us about two months and are cheap... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with Dave. The way refrigerators work (air conditioners, too) is that they do NOT cool. They REMOVE heat. Put too much heat in an enclosed space that needs to be removed and you will have a little bit of problem.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote