Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
Power Problem- Easy Fix?

Terribly hot day in Virginia today. We had both AC units going, and DW started the microwave to heat lunch. After a few seconds, we lost power completely.

I reset the power pole breaker, and the surge-guard still showed one leg open. Called the park- they fixed the problem quickly- all is good now.

But, here's my issue. Both ac units and the microwave are on the same 120 leg. To my mind, the load should should be balanced between the two legs. I could do that by changing hot wire positions- maybe just move ac2 to the other leg.

Before I do it, thought I'd ask if there is an issue I don't know.

We've avoided this kind of summer heat in previous years. We have used both units here and there in the past, but never like this summer.

We are on 50a.

bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You should be able to move the breakers around without any problem.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Although they usually have the A/Cs on different legs, I guess I'm not surprised. As Jim says, just move the breaker for one of the A/Cs.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Brent,
Ours is wire the same way.
On the breaker, they are doubles and the left side is on one leg and the right side on the other leg.
We just shut off rear air if we have to run the microwave, even with both airs on and the compressor coming on, would be a great draw on the system.
You can re-wire or just shut off the rear air to use the microwave.
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Careful there, Carlson.
In most panels the tandem breakers(or "stackables", or "minis" -or various other names I've heard in 35 years of elec. work in various parts of the country) are both in the same phase. In order to move to a different "leg" (phase) you have to (if both AC's are on the same tandem) move one of the AC feeds to an adjacent tandem breaker which will be on the other phase. These tandems are actually 2 single-pole breakers on one stab. Look on the back of one, you'll see only one female slot that engages with one stab on the buss, this puts them both, of course,on the same leg (phase).
It is important to note that these minis are not, NOT, double-pole breakers. You'll probably see 2 50A breakers (full size breakers) that feed your panel (service disconnect). If these 2 breakers have a handle-tie on them, forcing you to turn both on or off at the same time, then THAT is a double-pole breaker, and THAT is the position in which you can move a wire from left side of double-pole to right side of double-pole and actually change legs.
Easy check . . .with a volt-meter, put one lead on AC feed, lets's call it number 1. Put the other to neutral (white wire) or ground (green or bare), you should, with the breaker on, of course, read ~115-117VAC, nominally. Put the one lead next on breaker that feeds AC number 2 in same manner and you should also read ~115-117VAC also a nominal voltage, depending on voltage supplied to coach. Lastly put lead number one on breaker number one and lead number two on breaker number two. You should, ideally read 230VAC or so. If not move one or the other feeds to a different location as NCFisher suggests so as to place them in different phases. This will help to balance the load on the feed and keep it from tripping.
All the above goes out the window, of course, if you have anything other than a 50A (properly wired) feed. A 30A dog-bone adapter won't cut it - you only have one phase, not to mention the decrease in amperage/power.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote