Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Sssnnniiiffff..Aaahhhh!!

Nothing beats that new Montana smell! The DW and I did our walk through and PDI today. 6.5 hours at Camping World. Wow! I looked and looked. Used a flashlight, squinted, sniffed, opened and closed everything turned it on turned it off, lifted it up put it down..

I could not find so much as a blemish...ANYWHERE.

This is our 5th RV!! I am a PDI master! I have assisted friends doing PDIs.. I OWN PDIs!

Nothing!! Have I lost my touch? Do I need new glasses?! I am at a loss! My wife also... Nothing.

So I sit here on my couch, thinking, pondering, wondering...

Is the Montana THAT good?

Indeed! I believe it is!! I think that I am smitten!!

Alas the new "Gregg Escape" is tucked away at the dealers. 9 inches of fresh snow ensured I would not be towing it home today.

You know what? That stinks man!!

So I will have to wait a week to go get it next Saturday. A foot of snow is forecast for Tuesday and if we get much more.. I won't be able to get it back into its new winter sleeping quarters!

Sigh... The trials and tribulations of the new Montana owner....

Eric

egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Congratulations on your new rig. I hope it brings you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Good luck as you shake down the new rig.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Ah the new Montana smell, Congrats!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Congrats on that spanking new rig....many safe travels in it!

Les and Sue
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I just lost that "New smell" a few months ago on minebut still in love with it and just like you my PDI went great and except for a bad toilet all's still good, Hope you have the same luck ..CONGRATS on the new Monty!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #7
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
AAaaaaahhhhh yes, been experiencing that smell myself lately!!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Congratulations, first off. Second, not to be doom & gloom and rain, but were you able to operate EVERYTHING? Check all the gas, electric and water stuff? The problem I've consistently had were a result of dealers refusing to let me do this before leaving the lot. My first 'RV', a used conversion van, had hidden rust damage that was my fault for not finding. My first new unit, a class C, had a bad water leak at the fresh tank that the dealer should have found if they'd put just a small amount in and they wouldn't even do that before I left the dealership. After eight, I've managed to get to the point where I can find just about any potential or real major problem, but still have the odd minor ones that can escape me - the radio not having an antenna connected in our current Monty is the last one. Thing that really gets me is how dealerships will refuse to let you try everything out as that (in their minds, anyway) makes it a used unit (even if it already is!).
Old 01-25-2015, 01:37 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I also was impressed last year and spent two days fully hooked up on the dealers campsite. Couldn't really find any issues. Now I am three days away from my factory warranty expiring and more staples on the roof are coming up with no word from Keystone yet on what they are going to do, plus the furnace still not working correctly.

Parts ordered under warranty (warped sink cover, LED bulb, and emergency window latch) don't seem to be available so we are still waiting for all those.

Anyhow, congrats on you new rig and enjoy. You may have zero issues, or if you have future issues you may experience a real bazar twist and your dealer will actually honor the Keystone warranty and fix your unit.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 AM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good for you!
May your enthusiasm and good fortune last many, many years. Enjoy your new rig!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:46 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Both our 06 3400 and our 13 3402 Big Sky drove off the dealers lot after extensive PDI's with with zero issues.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:49 AM   #12
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Yup, not myr first rodeo. The only thing I didn't do was draw water or dump tanks. 6 hours is a long time at the dealer. 45 minutes doing paperwork. The rest of the time was spent "kicking the tires". IF there is anything is amiss it would be water supply or dump related. I am not going to find out about that till spring.

We are deep, deep, deep into winter here in SE NH so it'll be a while.

Did I mention 2 feet of snow coming Monday into Wednesday? Don't know when I am getting this home! I'll figure it out I am sure.

No doom and gloom here. Little icey, plenty snowy, but no issues to report!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #13
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
My PDI exposed a front AC that was dumping condensation everywhere but outside. Made them open the ceiling etc after the fix to make sure there wasn't anything up there. I almost walked away from the rig and the Montana line. Worried it was a sign of a lemon to come. Glad I didn't. So far, knock wood, we've had few issues after having her in full time use for the last 16 months.

Wait for the melt and run! 80 degrees in sunny SoCal. The people may be a bit nuts but the weather is nice! I'm allowed to say that since I've lived here all my life.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

My PDI exposed a front AC that was dumping condensation everywhere but outside. Made them open the ceiling etc after the fix to make sure there wasn't anything up there. I almost walked away from the rig and the Montana line. Worried it was a sign of a lemon to come. Glad I didn't. So far, knock wood, we've had few issues after having her in full time use for the last 16 months.

Wait for the melt and run! 80 degrees in sunny SoCal. The people may be a bit nuts but the weather is nice! I'm allowed to say that since I've lived here all my life.
Oooohhh.. It'll be 6 1\2 - 7 months before I expect consistent 80 degree weather up here.

I think I forgot to mention that we bought the 5 year extended warranty for this big girl. I NEVER buy extended warranty's.....

Except this time!! That being said I will be eyeballing the A/C and where the water goes! Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Congrats on the new rig. Wishing you many happy and exciting adventures. If the snow ever melts!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #16
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Well, this is an older post but I wanted to follow up. We have 5 trips under our belts as of this post and other than a leaky propane fitting that has ben fixed, there is still nothing tom complain about!

We are really enjoying this monster and now that most of our friends and families have seen the new 5vr, we are spending more quiet time together. And it is NICE! our next rip is to the Meredith area of New Hampshire with scheduled trips to Chocorua Camping Village, Bayleys Camping resort, Acadia National Park all reserved and ready. Looking to fill in some of the free weekends available soon. Just making our minds up where we want to go next!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #17
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
Awesome! Relax and enjoy!
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #18
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It's perplexing how one or two owners post about new rigs that have supposedly near zero issues and yet when I've walked the lots of 3 - 4 dealers in my neck of the woods it's "OMG" about the incredibly poor craftsmanship on several models of Montanas and SOB's. The most laughable example I saw was the decking screw right into the water line under the bedroom flooring in the front storage bay. Missed the floor joist by a mile ... got the water line dead on.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #19
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Some of those assembly workers are good and probably take pride in what they do. Some are well...not so much in that category, you know what I mean. John
Old 06-03-2015, 01:45 AM   #20
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
X2 dieselguy & jcurtis934 - certainly not anything against Montana; all the manufacturers seem to have purposely found the most inexperienced & clueless assembly people they could (also probably the lowest paid).

One other thing that no one seems to have caught - that 'new smell' thing is really all the new material out gassing whatever they're made of. Used to be a lot of formaldehyde and other nasty stuff, but EPA got them to stop using that kind of stuff after Katrina survivors started getting sick. (FEMA trailers were stored all buttoned up until having to be used so the chemicals stayed in them). IMHO, I'd keep a brand new rig opened up for a while (same with a new car, etc.).