Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Raising the oven....

..... how about raising the oven up to waist/chest level and save my poor aching back and knees each time I have to light it?

(Keeping the pilot light on for the duration of the "camp" doesn't help as just one session of being on the floor on my knees, extending out my right arm while I try to lay my head on the open oven door and crank my head to the left so I can see what I am doing is traumatic enough.)

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:30 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If we had a choice we would not even have the oven in a RV. Not only do you have to be plastic man to light one they are, in general useless. To small never hold the proper temp.In 4 hard side campers we may have used the oven maybe 5 times total...maybe..Would rather have the storage space.(which is what we use it for) Helen thinks the convection oven combo will do the job.... Maybe the full timmers have a different view..how about it????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
When we used our Montana (and its predecessors) for weekends and vacations, I rarely used the oven for anything other than storage. However, now that we live it in, I use it frequently.

As far as lighting the oven goes, I have certainly made more than my fair share of complaints regarding the lighting procedure ... I still say there has to be a better way! (Can you imagine the folks in the million dollar Class A's getting down on their hands and knees to light the oven?) I have, however, learned over time where to place the lighter in the oven and what to listen for so that I no longer have to get down on my hands and knees to light it.

Although I like the idea of raising the oven, I can't help but think that that would cause pretty much the total reconfiguration of the cooking area ... like where would the stove top go? The idea of a convection/microwave, no oven and storage where the oven is now sounds like a good option, but having never used a convection/microwave, I have no basis for comparison.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:27 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My wife has totally solved the oven lighting problem. Whenever she wants to use the oven, she just calls out, "Stiles, come light my oven if you want to eat!!"
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:13 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
In the 15 years we've been doing this we have used the oven maybe twice. We used it for storage. We have the combo micro/convection and we love it. We've done things in it that we just passed on before. I have not tried baking cakes or cookies as we don't eat sweets much.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I enjoy cooking and do cook ALOT in the Montana. I'd like to see the oven switch places with a cabinet on the wall and keep the cooktop where it is with a cabinet below it where the oven used to be. I don't think Keystone would have any problems coming up with a configuration in a future model.

A convection/microwave oven would be okay for us.... if we still had a regular oven. We mainly use the microwave for "smores". (Put a graham cracker on a plate, add a piece of chocolate, add one large marshmallow on top of the chocolate. Nuke for about 7 to 10 seconds. Immediately remove from the microwave and top with another piece of graham cracker... ummmm... better than making it over a campfire!).

I have a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven that is almost the same size as the oven. It keeps the heat regulated and keeps food from burning. And.... I also use the "airbake" pans. Nothing burns when cooking with those. I also have a small oven tempurature gauge in the oven.

Stiles, I like the way your wife gets her oven lit. (My oven lighter is usually off fishing/clamming/crabbing.)

Okay, I am outta here.... on my way to Bodega Bay for the rest of the weekend, the Montana is already over there. Have a great one!

Old 06-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Found out today at the Montana Dealer that you can order the unit with or without the oven.If no oven you would have storage space. The unit would have the micro/convection combo. Helen can do anything in the convection that she can do in the regular oven.. At least we will have a choice when the time comes..more decisions. Full timers..when you cook your 20 pound xgiving turkey..where do you cook it?????
Old 06-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We are not full timers but we camp a lot with our group and my wife uses the oven a lot. She bakes cakes and casseroles in it. We bought what was on the lot so didn't have a choice
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:29 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
richfaa

If I were fulltiming there would be NO COOKING a 20 pound turkey. Options: go out to dinner, LIKE THAT ONE!!

Options: go to the kids house for dinner, NOT BAD EITHER!!

Options: with care (have heard all the horror stories, that is why I am stating WITH CARE!!), I might deep fry one, goodness they are wonderful that way.

Options: have heard there are other ways to cook BIG turkeys over a campfire, don't remember the particulars.

Interesting topic. I have used the oven for storage, and I have used it. With a little care I can bake a mean brownie or peanut butter cookie in there. I don't use my oven at home that much either, but at this point, don't want to give either the one at home, or the one in Montana up.

Have not tried that convection oven, never had one, those who have them love them, I might too, leave all options open, I might like one if I tried it???

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:00 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When I asked Helen how she would cook the xgiving turkey without a oven she said that the 165 pound turkey standing in front of her would be taking her out to dinner.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:53 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol your ideas for TG agree with my feelings. We have done them on the BBQ with the turning thing I can't spell.
I got to thinking about this post last night and realized that in the 3 5ers we have had and for the last 15 years, this stove has not changed one bit. Seems like the makers needed to upgrade a little.
Happy trails...............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:11 AM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
When our microwave oven goes out I want a convection microwave oven in it's place. I used the oven in our Wildcat we had. I baked buscuits and etc. Never did a cake in there. I think the pizza stone is a good idea. Will try to find one.
Dusty
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:45 PM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Pizza! We use ours for storing bread, muffins and the like, but really need it for take and bake pizza! I use it once in awhile, but can't imagine not having it. Have never used a convection/microwave, but would be interested in hearing from anyone who uses one regularly. No cooking turkeys for me, yet. Cracker Barrel does a great job at Thanksgiving!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #14
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
In the 12 years that Marsha and I have camped, I have lit the oven only once, and I could probably count on both hands and feet how many times I have lit the stove. Since none of our trips have been longer than ten days—and only two of those, both of which have been this year in the Montana—we just have never seen the need.

That said, when my father–in–law and his wife camp with us, he ALWAYS lights the oven in his Prowler as he MUST have biscuits in the morning with his breakfast! Additionally, my father used to always light the oven when I was a kid, but that was when we volunteered for the National Forest Service in North Carolina during the summer.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Speaking of deep frying. If you do too big of a turkey it gets the outside too done. We have done 13-15 lb turkeys with our club. Drop some biscuits in after the turkey is done. UMMMMMM good
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We just make sure we're near the kids and grandkids at Thanksgiving. After Vicki cooking the turkey so many years while they were growing up and even afterwards while we had a stick home, turn about is fair play!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #17
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
When we first got our 3400RL it didn't have an oven in it.(due to the shortage of parts). I tried the convection /micro oven and didn't really enjoy the experience. It is too small for anything but round pans and the scones I tried didn't raise the way they should. You also can't bake very many at a time. I suppose I need to experiment more. We had the oven installed when they became available and we use it a fair amount. I just ask Bob to pray to the oven god and he gets the pilot light lit...It is cramped quarters in the 3400 and my arms aren't long enough!!!LOL. We also use the pizza baking stone in the bottom to diffuse the heat. Have had good results. You get the stones from Pampered Chef.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:36 PM   #18
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Here's a hint for finding large pizza baking stones...... check out Walmart and Target. We got one there in a "kit" in a box with a carry rack and pizza cutter. It was $19 and the stone is about the same size as the bottom of our oven.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #19
paparonsr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #168
I use the airbake cookie sheet in my oven--cooks just like my oven at home--no problem with over-baking or burning--and much cheaper than a pizza stone.

Mrs. paparonsr
paparonsr is offline   Reply With Quote