Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Dometic Thermostats

In the summer this year we purchased a 2018 3731FL.Nothing but issue after issue with the Dometic thermostats.My opinion they are cheap junk.
I have researched some on this site and have learned that Keystone states they are + or - 5 degrees.Thats surely a tell tale sign they are cheap and how they can stay on the market scamming the consumer is a disgrace.
Not only are they + or - 5 degrees they only work when they feel like it and come on out of no where.
It was 50 degrees out one evening and the wife came home and said something is running in the RV.
Went outside and the bedroom AC was running.We weren’t in it for almost a month so out of nowhere it decided to fire up by itself.
So going in to dealer in a few weeks and will see if they can replace these for real thermostats.
Does anyone know of a reliable thermostat company that will work with the Dometic AC units?
Sure hope this is no indication of the reliability of the Dometic AC units.

Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Although both of ours are off about 2 degrees they are working flawlessly on A/C, Furnace, and Heat Pump.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
My Dometics are off by 4-5 degrees but work well once we figured out where to set them.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Haven't had that issue with the AC - the furnace is what swings way too much, but I don't think that's the thermostat.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Besides being off 4..5 degrees heat or ac turning on the thermostat is a hit and miss.It sometimes takes 15..20 minutes playing with it because it shuts itself on and off as it pleases.Very frustrating.
Also I was told I have heat pump feature with units but says nothing on thermostat?
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Besides being off 4..5 degrees heat or ac turning on the thermostat is a hit and miss.It sometimes takes 15..20 minutes playing with it because it shuts itself on and off as it pleases.Very frustrating.
Also I was told I have heat pump feature with units but says nothing on thermostat?
Normally only one of the units will have heat pump.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
My Dometics are off by 4-5 degrees but work well once we figured out where to set them.
X 2 on off 4_5 degrees my AC tech agree........for 72 I set at 77 not a big deal
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Our 381TH has heat pump on both A/Cs and considering how large the unit is that is a very good thing. While there may be some swing in the temp. it doesn't FEEL that way. We won't use the heat much anyway where we live.

You might want to run the fan on low continuously so that you get better circulation particularly past the thermostats. We like to do that on the bedroom unit at night anyway to help us sleep (the A/C noise helps drown out other noises).

I will admit though that the instructions for operation of the thermostats could be a little better. I was fortunate enough to have a friend school me, otherwise it would have taken a while to figure it out. The controls are not the most intuitive but once you learn how they operate it isn't a big deal at all. Yah just have to know the proper sequence to click like a lot of electronic devices......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I believe these thermostats probably are cheap, but the reality of it is they work about as well as the top of the line model we had in the stick house. The problem there was that the house, while it was all on one level, was just a hair big for the one thermostat. In the rig the issue is the air leaks and heat/cold leaks and the upper/lower areas on a 5th wheel cause issues of their own. Once I got it figured out things have been fine for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
Gypsycamper

M.O.C. #20791
We are having issues with our air unit in the front. We have a 2017 3661RL. Ours will cut off when it reaches temperature and then not come back on. One of us had to get up every night to cut the blasted thing back on. Spent three days in September trying to get this fixed at Campingworld (where we purchased it). Still isn't right.
Gypsycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I think DQDICK hit the nail on the head as far as how the thermostats work. for an rv thermostat they are way better than what comes in a lot of rv out there. their are some good youtube videos to show you how to work the T\stat. It sounds to me like the dealers aren't doing a very good job at the PDI of showing new owners how they work or they don't know either which is more the case!

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 LB 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Two Dometic thermostats are off 2 degrees. No problem. Really like the heat pump.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You haven't specified which Dometic thermostat you have. The common one I am familiar with is the Comfort Control Center 2 (CCC2). If this NOT the one you have then stop reading now.

In the CCC2 Thermostat O
perating Instructions manual (attached) there are a couple of points of interest.

Page 2
Features
• Liquid Crystal Display
• 2 operation programs
• Outdoor temperature sensing (select models)
• Constant time of day display
• Remote Sensor (Precise comfort control within 1º F. of set-point) <---

Page 7
The system can be configured to operate using an ON/OFF differential of either 1 degree F. or 2 degree F

Further details on choosing between a 1 or 2 degree set point are described later on page 7. .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comfort-Control-Center-ii-operation-manual_17586.pdf (1.32 MB, 169 views)

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #14
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Our 381TH has heat pump on both A/Cs and considering how large the unit is that is a very good thing. While there may be some swing in the temp. it doesn't FEEL that way. We won't use the heat much anyway where we live.
Hmmmmmm...Yours is 1" longer but mine is 6" taller according to Keystone specs. I wonder why 2 HP on yours and I have never seen that before. Our one HP seems to do the job OK though.

OP might want to seal the extra large wire hole behind each thermostat too. I have done that on all 3 Montanas and it does help.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Hmmmmmm...Yours is 1" longer but mine is 6" taller according to Keystone specs. I wonder why 2 HP on yours and I have never seen that before. Our one HP seems to do the job OK though.

OP might want to seal the extra large wire hole behind each thermostat too. I have done that on all 3 Montanas and it does help.
I'll be honest, I don't know if the coach was ordered with two or it is standard equipment. Something else. Yours might be 6" taller by specs at it's tallest point but I bet it slopes down toward the rear end? The 381TH is the same height front to back. There is NO slope to the roof at all! That is of course what makes room for the basement garage. That being the case there is likely as much or more total volume (considering 3 dimensions of cubic air space)? And yes I am concerned about crosswinds with the massive sides of the unit....but that was the trade for the ability to haul toys.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I'll be honest, I don't know if the coach was ordered with two or it is standard equipment. Something else. Yours might be 6" taller by specs at it's tallest point but I bet it slopes down toward the rear end? The 381TH is the same height front to back. There is NO slope to the roof at all! That is of course what makes room for the basement garage. That being the case there is likely as much or more total volume (considering 3 dimensions of cubic air space)? And yes I am concerned about crosswinds with the massive sides of the unit....but that was the trade for the ability to haul toys.
Ours is the same height front to rear because of the raised rear den with massive storage under the den and we don't have to raise and lower our bed to use it. 2 HP is not standard equipment. Apparently you haven't taken a tour of the updated 3791RD.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #17
Montana 377FL2020

M.O.C. #29861
Did you ever figure out the issue with it not turning on? Having the same problem
Montana 377FL2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #18
AnArky
Established Member

M.O.C. #28708
Quote:
In the summer this year we purchased a 2018 3731FL.Nothing but issue after issue with the Dometic thermostats.My opinion they are cheap junk.
I have researched some on this site and have learned that Keystone states they are + or - 5 degrees.Thats surely a tell tale sign they are cheap and how they can stay on the market scamming the consumer is a disgrace.
Not only are they + or - 5 degrees they only work when they feel like it and come on out of no where.
It was 50 degrees out one evening and the wife came home and said something is running in the RV.
Went outside and the bedroom AC was running.We weren’t in it for almost a month so out of nowhere it decided to fire up by itself.
So going in to dealer in a few weeks and will see if they can replace these for real thermostats.
Does anyone know of a reliable thermostat company that will work with the Dometic AC units?
Be careful they don’t replace with other junk. I just bough 2 of these to replace the Dometic thermostats. You will want to use their selector to make sure you’re buying the right model.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...-rv-thermostat
AnArky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:00 AM   #19
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sAmeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnArky View Post
Be careful they don’t replace with other junk. I just bough 2 of these to replace the Dometic thermostats. You will want to use their selector to make sure you’re buying the right model.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...-rv-thermostat
Just bought 2 of these to. They work far better, quicker acting and more accurate than the Keystone junk. I went one step more and joined the Visible phone plan for unlimited everything for 24/7 wifi in the camper at 25 dollars a month, bought a cheap router and cell phone. I leave it on in the camper so I can control both thermos and monitor temps at any time from my house or truck. A must if you leave your pets alone in the camper when your out for a day trip in the summer. A little pricey though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MICROAIR20THERMOSTAT_4.png
Views:	56
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	10403  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #20
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Replaced both ours with Micro Air thermostats and couldn't be happier. Works from your phone too. Just three wires and you're off to the ballgame. So impressed with the thermostats, we installed their soft starts on both A/C units.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote