Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Anybody have the 3931FB yet? What do you think?

We looked at the 3931FB yesterday to replace our 2017 3820FK after this season. It looked great, but only had the one huge storage area up front, so I will need to build a stacking storage system? The shower seems smaller than in our 3820FK, but the Keystone brochure says they are both 30" X 48" The length is 4" shorter, but the weight is about 500 pounds heavier. The king pin weight is about 300 less? It must be the big full slides on both sides in the rear? Any thoughts on this model? It has tons of cupboard storage and wardrobe storage inside, and has two bathrooms and three sinks. It's waste and grey water tanks are much larger than on our 3820FK?
Old 03-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
SuzanneH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21263
We ended up buying 3731FL, but did look at the 3931FB. I loved the bathroom...the best and roomiest I've seen in the Montana line. I did worry about the massive weight of a full bathtub in the fifth wheel area. Seems like a LOT of weight concentrated in a small area that dangles off the front of the rig...

The other drawback I saw was the only closet in the bedroom was set up for the W/D prep (I believe I'm remembering this correctly...). We are fulltimers and I really want W/D in my rig. I could not sacrifice the storage in that closet for the W/D...so it was a deal breaker for us.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Suzanne, The "NEW" 3931FB got rid of the bathtub, and the guy that designed it was fired! Just kidding, but what in the heck were they thinking? If you have an 8 gallon water heater, how in the heck are you supposed to fill a 60 gallon bathtub? ;-) Even if you had 2 big pots on the stove heating up, I'm not sure you could get the bath water hot, since 50 gallons would be cold water! It just does not add up, unless you were living in it at one location, and had an external water heater setup? Anyway, if you now take the virtual tour of the 3931FB, the whole area where the bathtub was and the window is gone, and it is a huge closet from side to side and top to bottom.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
SuzanneH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21263
Oh my gosh! I might have considered that one. LOVED the space in that bathroom.

I'm thinking there MIGHT be a 12 gallon water heater in that one? Ours is 12 gallons, and the water is so freakin' hot I think you really could make a dent in that bathtub after mixing to a reasonable temperature with cold water. I just thought it was nuts to put that much weight at the tip end of the rig...eeek.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
hardinrob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18461
I have a 2018.5 Montana 3921FB and love it BTW. Mine has the Hot Water On-Demand (Tankless Hot Water). I have filled the tub with no problems several times. We also have Splendide Washer & Dryer (Stackable & Vented) in the Kitchen area next to Residential Refrigerator.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
We have a 2018 3920FB (3921FB has residential frig). The floor plan is perfect for us. Hot water on demand took a little getting used to but perfect to have endless hot water. We don't full time but spend 5 months a year. Really enjoy bathrooms. Wife loves tub. Have washer dryer combo in kitchen. A lot of improvements and updates from out 2013 3402RL.
Floor plan not for ever one but we sure enjoy.
martyperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Did not know they have hot water on demand? But still with the slow flow rate in RV's, how long does it take to fill the tub? Plus you would have to drain your grey tank while you are draining the tub, that is unless you are full timers and have everything hard plumbed? Anyway, I have taken one bath in 20 years, and only use the shower once a day? I like how they made the bathtub space in total closet space.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
I agree this model is for full hookup sites. Hot water on demand has been in motor homes for sometime.
This is the first fifth wheel I gave seen in. Due to tub. We have only used in our full hook up site. Water flow is not an issue. I think Tub drains directly into sewer drain. Wife is tub person. Tub doesn't do much for me but big bathroom like ensuite is sure nice.
With half bath on main level for guests and daytime use Bedroom bathroom very private.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
2018 3921FB tub fill

We bought the 3921FB in late January and stayed in for 6 weeks before bringing it home. Wife LOVES the tub. She says it takes about 10 minutes to fill. On really cold days she topped it off with a couple of teapots of boiling water while it was filling. I have not tried the tub but the on demand water heater delivers a great LONG hot shower. Turn the hot water on in the shower and it takes maybe 30 seconds to get hot water coming out then I have to quickly temper it with cold because it’s real hot. I got to where I could time it just right and put the cold handle at 4:00 to make it perfect. We will probably never dry camp - full hookups only for us - so I will never have to worry about the grey tank filling up (the tub and shower drain to the front gray tank so the grey valve is always open).

Our previous RV was a Laredo with a big front closet. The closets in the 3921 served us well - way better than I expected and we had way too many clothes with us. This floor plan is a dream for us!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
2019 3921 FB just ordered

So much for window shopping! My wife and I were seriously considering a Class A but then we attended a RV show last week. Low and behold fell in love with the 3921 FB. So now we are looking at a 10-week build time until it comes in. By the time, you get a used Class A, toad hook-up, sell the truck and trade in the trailer, we figured it is easier to buy a new 5th. Can't wait!
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #11
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
Congratulations! Hope you have years of enjoyment with new Montana.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I'm happy to see that so many people here like the 3921FB. Since I never take baths, and take 1-2 showers per day, I'm liking the idea of all that extra closet space from floor to ceiling and the whole width of the 5ver where the bathtub goes on the 3931FB. I will miss our front window on our 3820FK that lets us over look RV parks while we are having a meal or on our computers, but I will not miss having to clean the bug splats off at every stop, since it is not very appetizing to eat dinner with bugs splattered all over the window next to you. Not sure about having that large window in my bathroom, unless you are an exhibitionist? :-)
Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Just me, but I don't like the front window on any of the models. Seems more like another water penetration point if nothing else. Gimme a 3811MS without the window. The 3931FB would be a close second. Design changes... on the 3931 I would move the W&D to where the bench seat in the master bathroom is, then shift the fridge over to the wall dividing the kitchen from the 1/2 bath but near the entry door and not in the location the W&D were, I'd similarly want the fridge in the 3811 moved over to that wall and out of the slide. In the now vacant slide space I would have more counter space and associated cabinetry. Doing that would take a lot of weight off the road side tires and ease axle loads on that side also. But that's just me. Sorry for drifting off topic.
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I like your ideas of moving things around, but that bench seat is pretty small, and the washer and dryer would not fit there, and I'm sure that closet up front is a designed one piece installation that they are not going to want to mess with. Keeping the 5ver balanced, the Onan 5500 generator up in the front right adds some weight on the passenger side to hopefully offset the refer and washer and dryer on the driver side? Plus you could put the heavier items in the huge under belly storage more on the passenger side? I would like to see them put one pivot point in the solid entry steps, so you could pivot it under a RV next to you in the RV storage lots.
vipermanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
To be clear, I'm not suggesting an aftermarket remodel. But I do think Keystone could easily modify their design to make it work. Call it a 2019.5 model....
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #16
Mac & Dee
Established Member

M.O.C. #21936
just ordered a 3930fb. Think it will work very well for us.
Mac & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
WMJourney
Established Member

M.O.C. #26193
We just purchased a 2020 3931FB last week. We fell in love with it immediately. The storage in it is incredible. We upgraded from a toy hauler and decided that luxury was the way to go for the long term. We do love the floor plan. The W/D hookup in the second pantry still provides plenty of space if you install the washer/dryer combo and not the stackable. I know there are a lot of folks who prefer the separate units but the combo saves space if that's your main concern. The great news is that it doesn't take up your closet space. Speaking of, if you can't put all your clothes in the "walk-in" or the hanging wardrobes then you probably have too many clothes. Lol. The massive 100 cu ft basement provides ample storage for any of your needs. Not having the generator provides more storage space in the front. Additionally, there is a 2" receiver off the bumper which allows you plenty of options for toys. We love the Cottage White kitchen which really opens up the small spaces. Montana knows how to use every inch of space too. Every space on the walls is either occupied by a window or cabinet. If you want pictures all over your walls you may be out of luck. We absolutely love our 3931 and think we may have found the one RV that meets all (or 99%) of our needs.
WMJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #18
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
we got our 3931fb last august. had a class a diesel revolution before the 3931fb. there is more room inside the 5th wheel than in our motorhome. the storage space was more with more underbelly bins but inside is much roomier. we kicked the idea around with pros and cons for a while before the purchasing the fifth wheel and so far have no regrets. had a washer dryer combo in the motorhome but she does not relaly miss it at all. if fulltimers i think it would be nice. did not get the onboard generator, i got a small generac 3000 never tried the air with it but doubt it will work for that, if needed i could get anothe and parallel them. I added 1 extra battery, i wish they would give you a chance to pick the batteries you would want, cheap marine grade that came with it It worked fine at quartzite this jan lasted all night but had to start gen at 7 am. given the chance i would have gotten either agm or lithium but ok for now. also changed the faucet in half bath, original one to close to the edge to wash your hands unless you filled the sink. i guess thats it for now, i think and hope you enjoy your new 3931fb.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #19
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
We have been living fulltime in our 3931FB since December after trading in our Mountaineer 375FLF. We loved the bathroom in our old rig and only when we found the front bath model did anything else compare, not to mention the extra 1/2 bath. After adapting to the lack of basement storage in a front living room model, the new basement is great.
Steve Hurst created our own Facebook group if interested.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486043701577501/
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
E12Cheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #25338
3931fb

We purchased a 3931FB in September and moved in for full timing in March. We really love this rig. When I was looking to install the solar I found a large space in back of the basement on the port side. I removed the back wall and there was the perfect spot for my batteries, the DC Buss bar and the solar controller. The bath and 1/2 works great when we have guest. The couch folds out for a queen bed and everyone is happy. We have plenty of storage space and this unit fits our needs. if I had to do it again I would purchase the same model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	6205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	6207  
TSLB Trailer Saver air ride hitch
E12Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote