Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Extended warranty in action

Some have asked about the merit of extended warranty policies. The value became apparent today due to the fact that my factory warranty on the landing legs motor has expired. That little fella runs around $500.00 installed. With my $50.00 deductible, I am greatly relieved about having that job done and having the extended warranty pay 90% of the bill.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:07 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
You have just recovered about a third of the cost of the warranty. The only way to go.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:33 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
At the price in late 2002, I actually recovered nearly half the outlay.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:46 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Our extended warranty is "if you don't use it, you don't lose it". Meaning if we don't use it at the end of the warranty period our payment is refunded to us. I figure we are a winner either way. Lots don't agree with extended warranties.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
Richard
Established Member

M.O.C. #2499

Stiles, we have the Good Sam extended warranty but haven't had to use it yet.

Your topic reminded me of a month ago, when I tried to find brushes for the landing leg motor and the guys at the Tucson Beaudry RV laughed at me.

I figure that a couple of 2 dollar brush assemblies could save an entire day of waiting around and rig-wrestling to get it down to the repair shop. Not to mention the inconvenience of having it go out in the first place!

Our motor still works fine, but I like having spare parts and I couldn't find brushes for the thing. I'm pretty sure it's repairable because has screws on the back housing.

Our refrigerator just started making noise though, and although it still works fine, it feels good to have coverage in case it does go out. That's the main reason I bought an extended warranty. I just like the feeling of having the bases covered.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Richard,

I had my rig in the shop for the blown tire body work. So while I had it there anyway, I had they do the landing leg motor. FYI the warranty would only allow them to charge (1) hour for the replacement. They are doing it for what the policy allows plus my $50 deductible.

By-the-way, I have zero dollars invested in this extended warranty. The former owner bought it and then paid the $75 transfer fee. I inherited 5 years of the 7 year warranty. I feel extreemly blessed.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:20 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Blessed you are. Good deal.