Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
Jim and Marcia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2227
Chest freezer

Our Montana dealer mentioned that he has heard of some people with the w/d closet in their rig, using the space for a small chest freezer. Has anyone done this or talked with folks who have? We are very interested in doing this in our new 3295RK. What size would fit in this space? Any info anyone has to offer will be appreciated.

Jim and Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Other than I have never seen a gas/electric freezer such as out refrigerators are, I can't see any reason why a 110 volt wouldn't work. Wouldn't want to be unhooked for more than 4 or 5 hours as things will begin to thaw out.
Take some measurements of the trailers front and closet doors and check with your local appliance dealer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I've heard of it, but we put the w/d in instead.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Some friends of our in Tx. has a small one. They drive sometime 8 hrs. No problem with thawing.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Way I heard it, if you have it packed with frozen food, you can go a few hours no problem, ohhh, and DON'T open it to check on it!

Have heard of a number of people doing this, even saw one who had a small freezer in the basement, don't remember if it was a Montana, was quite a while ago.

Don't be afraid to use your Montana your way!

I think there is someone here at MOC that has such a set up, maybe they will happen along and enlighten us, in the meantime, maybe you can find some posts about it, via the search engine???

Cheers, and May your freezer bring home lots of great fish!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
Jim and Marcia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2227
I used the search before I wrote the first message and could find nothing in the current topics or in the archived topics. I am glad to hear that someone else has heard of doing this. I'll keep watching for further responses. Thanks!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Jim,

hmmmmm, know I read it somewhere!>G>G>G> well, phooey!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have a small frezer in the w/d closet in our 3295RK. It is not a chest type - rather, it has a very small upright - almost a cube. It is a handmedown from father in law through brother in law so don't know much about it. It seems to work well since we are usually only of the power grid for eight to 10 hours at a time.

I made a little wooden tray for the top of the unit with guides on the bottom to make sure the freezer stays in place, to ensurre there is adequate airflow over the coils, and to make sure the air has an escape path over the top even if other stuff gets piled in the closet.

My only concern is heat build up in th closet if it is running and the door is closed. I usually put a little rubber door stopper in place to prevent closing the door all the way
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
Jim and Marcia we bought our 3255 because of the closet for w/d made a perfect place for a 5 to 7 cu ft chest freezer. We place a few 1 gal jugs ice when we start ouy and as we catch fish we take out the ice and use the water as it thaws. We have no problem with thaw as we travel during the day and plug in at night. This has been a trial getting ready for a long Alaska trip. Sears have several that will fit.

SEMPEER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:09 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I think the latest Camping World catalog has a small upright freezer listed in it. For sure it has ice making machines and I think in the same area of the catalog I saw the small upright freezers. My neighbor has an upright freezer in his Bounder Motor home (basement area) but it came already installed in it.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:33 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We have friends who go to the gulf coast for the entire month of Oct. every year. They take an EMPTY freezer - bring it back FULL of fish and seafood !!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #12
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
Will the noise from the freezer keep you awake.I think the compressor starting up would keep me awake at night.
tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Jim and Marcia,
The person you want to talk to is Dave Anderson. He has a chest type freezer in his Montana. He also has a nice solar setup!

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
Jim and Marcia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2227
RVWheels, Thanks for the info---we have contacted Dave and are awaiting his reply. Appreciate all the input everyone.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:28 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave and Kelly were able to show off this setup during "show and tell" day at the first Rally. What a nice setup they have. With the solar stuff they don't even worry about being unhooked from 110. As long as they have some sun shining they have power. And let him know we miss not hearing from him here on the MOC. I know they've been traveling a lot but we sure miss their posts.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 AM   #16
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
A small invertor can be purchased to run one of these small freezers for under $50 if you are worried about thawing while traveling. I paid 29.95 for mine. It helps to have a 12V DC outlet in the basement.

Boy, I sure am getting ansie (thats an old term). Expect the new 3400RL will be at the dealer on the 5th or so and will try to pick it up on the 11th or 12th. We intend to take two days for the PDI.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:38 PM   #17
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I have a chest freezer I use to go out west hunting every year. Its 24"x26". I think it would work great in the w/d area if a person had some ventalation for heat. I have been on the road 4 days already without plugging it in and it don't thaw. As long as its full and kept closed. We've put sleeping bags in it already to fill it up. During our storms last summer we only lost the top layer of food from thawing after 4 days. The rest stayed frozen. That chest freezer is in the garage.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #18
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I installed a Uline compact icemaker in my RV and put it on top of my W/D and put a grate in the door to dissapate the heat. To ensure that I was making ice and keeping it frozen while traveling I installed a 700watt inverter and ran a circuit to the closet for 110v.I also used a regular icemaker water supply kit and tapped into the water supply after my 12v pump. When on the road I plug the icemaker into the inverter circuit,turn on my water pump. I did this in March of 2002 and no problems so far.
We also volunteer down in the Florida Keys from Dec. until March or April. I bought a small 4.7 cu. ft. upright freezer from Home Depot and put it next to the pantry in the RV. Perfect fit. Great for keeping fish. The day before departure I put it on Max.cool. After we have been underway for 5-6 hours I use an extention cord and plug it into my inverter circuit until I get some shore power. I turn off the icemaker for this period.I plan to upgrade the inverter to run both and eliminate the ext. cord.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #19
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We have a vertical door five cu.ft. freezer in our 3575 w/d closet--much more handy we think than a chest type freezer. Had a vent put in the lower part of the closet to the outside--we wanted a regular refrig. vent, but got a smaller one since the dealer did not listen. Go with the refrig vent as the freezer will genterate quite a bit of heat when operating. Fitted a top over it and use the rest of the closet normally. Had one in our previous 5W for many years with no problem. Got ours at Sears and it fits with the door closed. But you need to keep the door ajar while operating for ventalation. When we go down the road, we tape the door shut with duct tape. It is great to have more than one flavor of ice cream and to be able to take advantage of seasonal foods.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:08 PM   #20
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We have installed a 7 cubic ft. Sear Freezer in our w/d closet. Bruce also installed an inverter and and extra battery (we now have 3). The freezer works great and is very handy. If you have any question please e-mail us.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote