Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Notified Dealer Of PDI

Well I just got my reply back from the dealer as to how long he has scheduled the PDI for. here is what it said:
The PDI is scheduled for 4 hours. Your walk through however, will take
about 1.5 to 2 hours.

I am happy to hear they have it scheduled for 4 hours but they seem to think the 1.5 or 2 hours will be all it takes. I plan to check off everything on my checklist that I copied and that is 6 pages!

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The walk thru is not the same thing as the PDI. The walk thru is to show you where everything is and how it works. That could possibly take up to 2 hours.

The PDI is an entirely different ballgame and if done properly and thoroughly should take the better part of a day. Four hours is not enough time. Keep one thing in mind at all times and that is "You are in control" until the final papers are signed. Do Not let them rush you through this. If he already has a copy of the PDI he could simplify things by already having his people go thru the rig and thusly eliminating any problems in advance of your inspection but it is still up to you to do your own.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We agree with Glenn, a thorough PDI will take more than 4 hours! And it is you that is gonna do the work (err, looking). Take a large pad of paper and writing stick to make your "I want it repaired before I give you the $$ list". Wear old clothes, we even took a blanket to lay on the ground so Al could roll under the rig and look at tires and such.

Be sure they show you how EVERYTHING works, and where all the valves for the waste water tanks are, there should be 3 valves!

Have fun! And GOOD LUCK!

Cheers,

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Remember that a thorough PDI is great medicine to elimate future headaches.!!! Don't sign until every thing is fine!!!!

Good luck Campbud......
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I spent 9 hours going over our rig before making an offer (sold by previous owner). Same thing. Make sure you see EVERYING work. Touch every moving object. Fill the water system and check everything about it. Light the water heater and make sure you feel warm water come out the faucets & shower head. Play some tunes in the CD/Cassette and enjoy the time. Shine a flashlight into every dim or dark nook & cranny. If you need to unscrew an access pannel to see what is behind it, do so. LEan back in the recliner & prop up your feet to take a break.

If they give you any trouble, as them what they have to hide...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Very good points - don't let them rush you. Being new (no excuse) in 2003 we went to pick up our Monty, money and papers signed then the walk thru they rushed, rushed and rushed us through everything -thinking like dumbies that things were actually right..........NOT. From this forum and knowing all we know now this won't happen again if and when we decide to trade up. So like the others have said take your time and look and try everything.

Enjoy and safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Our walk through took over 2 hours and we spend over 8 hours on the PDI. Don't hurry. The more you know, the longer you take!

Another suggestion, take some colored "paint masking tape" to mark the things that need to be done. You will give them a list, but this helps them see it visually. This type of masking tape doesn't stick like normal tape so it is ok on wood/wall paper.
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:03 AM   #8
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Excellent advice Paul. We did the blue tape thing on a stick built house. It drove the builder crazy to see all that blue but it kept him on the mark when it came to fixes. No one has mentioned the obvious--be sure to take along your own tool kit. The techs aren't gonna be hanging around the whole time you do your PDI so you aren't likely to be able to "borrow". Best luck!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote