Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2004, 05:11 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
LAKE POWELL

We are planning a trip to Lake Powell AZ and wanted to know, We live in Fountain Co, is it a easy grade to pull thru Denver on I70 to grand Junction or go thru Pubelo and Salida and up to Grand Junction to go across to go south to the lake the internet shows about the same miles? anyone made the trip or have another way to go?

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I'm sure you'll get someone to give you first hand information. From what I understand the I-70 is NOT an easy grade type route. It has been many years since I was over that way but I remember it has several steep and long as well as high altitude grades. I do not know anything about the Pueblo and Salida route. On the map it looks as if it might have a few grades on it as well.

If it were me I'd take one of the southern routes. I love that area of the country and plan to spend much more time there. A couple of years ago we took route from Page over to Cortez. Took several "back country" type roads and they were excellent. Very little traffic and the scenery was outstanding.

Lake Powell is huge so it sort of depends where on the lake you plan to go. When do you plan to go?

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Bob and Lee,
First, let me say how much I like that front living room. Our very first RV was a Prowler Regal with front living room (well used when we got it). We decided that we really needed a smaller trailer as we are "travelers" and not full time. Still, I like the choice you made.

If you go through Salida, you will cross Monarch Pass and on into Gunnison. I think that would be the only real pass on that route. The road over Monarch is well maintained. We will be going over it in our auto in January. Last Summer we came over Wolf Creek Pass from Pagosa Springs to South Fork, and we have been told that Monarch is an "easier" pass than Wolf Creek. I put it this way because we have never towed over Monarch, though we have been over it many times--Summer and Winter. Our daughter lives in Buena Vista, the town just north of Salida, so we usually park our RV in her yard. I'm not sure this helps, but I would not be afraid at all to tow over Monarch in the Summer.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:43 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When you tackle Monarch Pass, do it when rested. It is well maintained, but pullin... you got to pay attention.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Stiles, just a quick check: Have you pulled over Wolf Creek Pass? I am wondering whether it is true (as I have been told) that Monarch is an "easier" pass than Wolf Creek? Both are major passes, that's for sure. I had no trouble with Wolf Creek except the long wait for road construction.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have never pulled over either pass. I have navigated Monarch Pass many times -- sometimes in Winter with icy conditions. Even on a well maintained pass, that can be hectic.

A few of the winding grades are fairly steep as indicated by the "out of control" or "run-away" pull-offs designed to be used should brakes fail.

I have recently invested in a Hypertech Programmer III to better manage the uppers and am looking into an exhaust brake for the downers. Of course, price to benefit ratio is being considered.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:24 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks for the response. I, too, have been over both passes many times and, specifically, over Monarch in Winter. We will be skiing in Crested Butte in January, so we will go over it again as we have done for the past several years. I'm not sure I would be secure in towing in Winter conditions anyway, but if one is to do so in Colorado it will probably invovle one pass or another.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob & Lee, we towed our current Montana the opposite direction on I-70 with a Ford V10. It did a good job but you will know you're pulling some long grades. We were getting passed by the diesels. When you hit the Eisenhower tunnel you're at over 11,000 feet. I don't know how the 460 tows compared to the V10 so can't really help you much. Being an interstate I don't think any of the grades are over 8% and most are probably no more than 6%. I could be wrong about that as we were going west to east. They're just very long grades. The GVWR on your 3685 is just 20 pounds more than our 3295 and ours was very heavily loaded and weighed 13,980 a couple of months prior to towing Colorado so yours probably will be in the same or maybe a little less weight range, if that helps you compare.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:24 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Steve
Thanks for the info I have never pulled either way so it will be new to me, we are going in June and are leaving most of our STUFF in Colorado so our weight should be low. We are only going to Az for about 2wks. Iam going to have my truck gone over good before I leave, dont wnat our first to be a bad experance.
Thanks
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:38 AM   #10
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Bob and Lee -
hey we're just up the street from you! (SW Colo Springs). Used to pull a 27' Cruisers boat over to Powell every summer back in our boating days. Our choice was to go west up 24, and over Hoosier through Breckenridge to Frisco, then on to the Interstate. Often would pull into a motel parking lot in GJ, and spent the nite in the boat. Had a '87 F250, 460 manual, and it did just fine. Hated to ever go through Denver. Did it once, and it was forever getting up to Eisenhower Tunnel!

Now we have the Monty, and with boys going to Western State, have been over to Gunnison a couple times. The diesel does a great job of going UPhill, but could stand exhaust brakes going down. We just crank her down in low gear, and take it slow and easy going down. I would prefer Monarch to Wolf Creek!

It's one very long day, or two easy days - I prefer the easy days, and enjoy the drive!

Al
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote