Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Compliments Instead of Complaints

Hello,
I have seen so many complaints about problems with the Montanas, I thought I would post a Compliment instead.

We have had our Mountaineer just over a year now. We have put it through more camping trips in one year than most people would in 3 or 4 years.
We have camped every weekend from mid April until this weekend. We have also camped for a week straight the first week of May and two weeeks in Mid September. We have put over 10 thousand miles on the unit.
From day one until now the biggest problem we have had is one of the closet door latches broke. This was a $1.45 item. (plastic catch)

We just came home from camping this weekend and I was very impressed that we didnt have any problems with frozen water lines or tanks. The temperatures were in the teens at night and in the upper thirtys to low fourtys during the day. The lakes got a thin layer of ice on them this weekend but not the water system in the camper. Guess that says something for the heated underbelly!

Just thought I would give credit where it is due. The unit we have has been great. I wouldnt hesitate to reccomend a Mountaineer to anyone.
Thanks Keystone for a great unit!!!

Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
I too have received a Montana that has given me good service in almost three years of ownership. While the unit is not perfect, the problems have been few enough that overall my ownership experience has been a good one. And I also believe that Keystone deserves an "at-a-boy" to help balance out some of the not so good experiences some owners have had.

That being said, I can't imagine the frustration that some owners have had to endure. (Fla Native for one has had two "leaky units".) Most of the MOC members that have had cronic problems have presented their case in a mild, non-flaming manner. For that I commend them!!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
My older model has had some problems and it is not as flashy as the new ones but I have never delayed a trip due to a malfunction. All of my problems have been minor.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:01 AM   #4
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I agree with all of you. We sure love our 2002 3295RK and expect to have many, many happy years in it. We have had our share of problems but nothing that couldn't be fixed by us or the dealer with little effort.

Keep up the good job Keystone. And we too would recommend the Montana, we do every chance we get.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:24 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We, too, are very pleased with our Montana. We've dragged this thing to both coasts three times, to the northern and southern borders, and to many points inbetween. We've had some minor problems and one major one (axles) but Keystone took care of things for us. Overall, we're very happy with it.

Usually we use the forum to ask about problems. Rarely do we post praise. So thanks for starting this thread.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:25 AM   #6
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We too have a Mountaineer by Montana. We ahve had 3 other TT by different manufactures and I can tell you that our Montana is the best we have owned. We have between 5000 and 6000 in a little over 3 months on it and not one and I mean not one problem with it. Having owned other TT I was and still am looking for certain things I thought all TT had problems with but not with ours, at least so far. We have a 327RKS and plan on having it for a long time to come. I recommend a Montana to anyone that asks.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:21 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta throw in my 2 cents.

Our 2955RL is our first Montana and other than a shower door problem have had no other problems worth talking about. BUT, if Lorraine has her way this Montana will probably be our last. As far as she is concerned we will NEVER, EVER buy another Montana. Maybe when hell freezes over but don't count on it.
In her eyes we would have no real reason to buy another Montana as she loves the one we have and feels it will last us for many many years to come. By the time it's not suitable for habitation we will be ready for one of them park models in one of them 75+ parks down here in the [s]Sunshine[/s] Hurricane state of Florida.
Now if it were up to me.....I'd be buying a new 3400 this January at the RV Show but sadly it ain't up to me. At least not totally up to me.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Merv - we are in our second Keystone product, the first was a Mountaineer 335RLBS TT that was really great. Towed it several thousand miles and never, I mean never had a problem. Just got the new 2005, 3400 and absolutely love it. I have RVed for years and these are the best for the money I have owned. You have to look at it from the prespective of having some problems are just a way of life. I mean, anytime you tow your home down the road, it is going to get shaken up and things will come loose. Just imagine trying to have a house mover drag your stick house across town and think of the problems. They are mechanical and they can have warts just like anything else. One has to know that they will have to do maintenance and fix problems just like any house. All in all, I think they are a great product.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:14 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Great Post. I was thinking about the things my Montana has needed taken care of and I gotta say I really have not had any problems that could not be taken care of in one visit to the dealer. My hat is off to the crew that built my Montana as I believe I have the quality that I paid for.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #10
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
We would like to add our two cents. Only had our Montana for a couple weeks. I have gone over it very carefully and I am satisfied that we have a good "previously enjoyed" 5529RLS. I talked to the previous owner of this unit and he told me that they didn't have any problems either. Now I don't count nit picking problems as I feel all trailers will experience some from time to time. I accept it as my duty to take care of them and not haul it to the dealer.

The previously owner did have the dealer put in a new A/C unit because the factory unit was freezing up. I was sure glad to get to talk to the old owner. They traded up for a larger rig. My wife is really liking this unit and if she is happy, I am happy. She spent Saturday packing it. Now I hope to get it weighed and see where we stand on that issue.

This is our second Keystone product..We had an Outback pull behind prior to the Montana. It was great little learner rig for us.

We will be making our initial trip over Christmas in it. Wanted to go to jetty park at Merrit Island/Cocoa Beach, but they were full up. Will be going to Manatee Hammock instead. Anyone stayed at this park?

Now if I could just learn to back this Montana monster I would be on cloud nine...
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Just wanted to join in on all the Montana kodo's. Have had out Montana 3655FL since August of 2003. We love our Monty. Haven't had a single major problem with ours. We have towed it almost 10,000 miles trouble free. Like a said in an earlier thread we must have got a Tuesday - Thursday Monty.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:55 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We are clicking our heels together and expect to escape to the land of Oz soon. We are so ready to embark on the Great Adventure. Bought the truck. bought the Big Sky. Dianna applied for Social Security today and I am not far behind. That is why I am so glad to hear the good reports posted here.

You are showing me that normal maintenance on a 5er is no worse than the tedium associated with maintaining a stick house. Let's see, lightening strike that zapped two TV's, a computer, garage door opener, and sound entertainment center. Patio slab severely cracked and will have to be replaced. Foundtion broke off and is sinking under the chimney so it will have to be torn down and rebuilt. Time to repaint the second story (first story is brick). Incoming water pipes need sand blasting and coating on the inside. Somehow Monty's issues seem a bit trivial. I am happy with Monty.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:50 AM   #13
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We add our appreciation of the Montana we own. Yes it has had problems--but none of the horrific sort. All thus far have been minor and fixable (knock on wood). Stiles has put it in good perspective in his post.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:17 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, we also really enjoy your posts, as someone stated on another thread. And we can sure relate to your horror stories on the stick home. The thing that prompted us to sell our stick home when we went fulltiming instead of keeping it, was we had two walls crack in our finished basement, causing a general flooding and destruction of the finishing. Those walls are now stronger than before and the finished basement is nicer than before but it cost us $23,000 to get it all fixed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote