Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2004, 05:23 AM   #21
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
If it's at HD, Lowes, Menards, Fleet Farm or whatever they aren't going to put oil and gas in it so you can hear how loud it is are they? I wouldn't think so so how or where would you go to find out how loud it is?

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:46 AM   #22
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
you might not be able to hear quite that, but if you find out what the decibal level is, then it's easier to compare to other things. i know on hondas web site they give decibal ratings from everything from generators to saws and vaccuums.at least it would give you an idea.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 06:47 AM   #23
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melissa and Mike S

If it's at HD, Lowes, Menards, Fleet Farm or whatever they aren't going to put oil and gas in it so you can hear how loud it is are they?
Melissa,
We bought our Honda from a local Lawn & Garden, and they started it up for us. The EI's or IE's are alot quiter because they are enclosed and the sound is muffled, but THEY ARE ALOT HEAVIER.

I would think for what you want to use it for, that a portable would probably end up STOLEN!!! I hate to be that way, but if your in a parking lot watching a game I don't think it will be there when you get back .

Unless your going to unplug it while watching the game and place it inside the 5th wheel.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 07:51 AM   #24
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Melissa,

I bought a 5000 watt Generac with a 10 HP Briggs & Stratton motor. The One in the picture looks like it is a Genarac also. It is very loud even though they say it has a quiet muffler. The decibel level is in the 70’s, pretty loud.

I bought mine to use at Nascar races. It ran everything in the camper, with the exception of the washer/dryer, with no problems. At the last race it was used the people across from me cheered when I turned it off just before leaving to go home. It will make enough noise that if there is anyone else in the area they will be disturbed I guarantee it! If you’re really not concerned about the noise it would be a good choice. If at all possible you should get a chance to hear it run before buying one.

This year I bought a Yamaha EF 3000 i SEB. It is the quietest advertised 3000 watt on the market. It costs considerably more but is worth the extra money. You can’t hear it running from inside the camper. You can hardly hear it standing next to it!

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:49 AM   #25
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:

If it's at HD, Lowes, Menards, Fleet Farm or whatever they aren't going to put oil and gas in it so you can hear how loud it is are they? I wouldn't think so so how or where would you go to find out how loud it is?
Believe it or not, Home Depot did just that, we heard it run in the store before we bought!

There are many good generators out there, some are designed to run quietly, but cost more. Our Generac, does not have a B&S motor, it has a Generac OHV motor that looks and sounds a lot like a rgular Honda (not the EU series). I suspect that you can buy them with different motors for different prices. You know best what you want to do with it, and how much you want to spend, but do make sure that it has a power outlet that will suit your needs. They don't all come with a suitable outlet to supply 30 or 50 amps to a trailer.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #26
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
MAN! I didn't think this was going to be so hard! LOL You are all correct, 70 decibels is TOO loud and Mike would NEVER sleep even with the air running. LOL

And I am worried about it being stolen so we will have to figure out what we are going to do about that too. I would like a portable so we can use it at home if need be or whatever....
Old 10-21-2004, 10:36 AM   #27
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
And I am worried about it being stolen so we will have to figure out what we are going to do about that too. I would like a portable so we can use it at home if need be or whatever....
Here's the specs on EU3000http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/eu3000.htm VERY HEAVY but quiet!

Here's the specs on EB3000http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/eb3000.htm VERY LIGHTWEIGHT but not as quiet, BUT...YOU COULD LIFT IT YOURSELF IF NEED BE. Very compact too. Would deff. fit inside the door of the rig when you leave the parking lot and go to the game.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:30 AM   #28
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Thank you. :

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sue

Quote:
Here's the specs on EU3000http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/eu3000.htm VERY HEAVY but quiet!

Here's the specs on EB3000http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/eb3000.htm VERY LIGHTWEIGHT but not as quiet, BUT...YOU COULD LIFT IT YOURSELF IF NEED BE. Very compact too. Would deff. fit inside the door of the rig when you leave the parking lot and go to the game.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:31 PM   #29
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I did a lot of shopping and bought a Northstar Honda powered 8000 watt. Much bigger than needed for the trailer. But I live in the country with occasional power outtages. The plan is to use it for the house also.
A BIG consideration for the Honda is that they are always easy to start, and are much quieter.
Here is the link: www.northerntool.com/generators
Good luck on your search.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:14 PM   #30
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
I did not get the propane generator with my 3400RL (it was $5500 and I thought that was a little steep, although Onan is of course good quality)

I have a Troy Built, 6500, 30amp, but it sounds like a tank when running... obviously too much for the normal camper use... I have figured that I could change the muffler... maybe adapt a standard Onan or some other quality muffler to really quiet this down.... I have a machine shop at my disposal if I had to modify the connection to the exhaust manifold... anyway... it will fit in the bed of my truck in front and below the level of the 5er... does this sound ok???? my 5er is a 50amp. but the 30 would run most everything although not all at once...

Montana_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #31
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
[quote]Originally posted by Go Pokes

We really like our Honda 6000 generator. We ordered the 3400 with generator prep and it is installed in the front compartment with a gas tank in the bed of the truck.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> .
We also have a 3400.... we were told that you could not run a gas (only propane) in the compartment of a 5er.... is this ok??? I am checking on a generator also... I have a gas 6500 now, 30amp... thinking of trying to adapt it to our 3400.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #32
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
It is true that Montana generator prep is for the Onan propane generator. I have not heard that you can not put a gasoline generator in 5er. In fact , you can order a Teton Home with a gasoline generator installed in it. We had to change out the Onan control panel out for a Honda control panel-- I think the control panel cost between $100 and $200. We choose the Honda because it is water cooled, is quieter, is smaller, and is more powerful than the proprane generator but is also more expensive. We do not have the gasoline tank in the Montana, but it is in the bed of the truck in front of the hitch. We use a braid fuel line with connections like are used on boats. We did consider that we would be using three different fuels, but it has not been a problem. It is easy to fill-up the 16 gallon gasoline tank when we buy diesel. We can run the generator approximately 32 hours with both ACs running full.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:40 AM   #33
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
[quote]Originally posted by Go Pokes

>>>>>>>>>> We choose the Honda because it is water cooled, is quieter, is smaller, and is more powerful than the proprane generator but is also more expensive.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What is the size of the Honda generator (watts/amps) and how much did it actually cost? If possible could you give me the actual model number of your Honda so I might check it out? It sounds like you have the same thing we are working toward... we have the same camper.... we have a generator now but it would be nice to have it onboard rather than in the back of the pickup.... the fuel tank in the bed of the truck is fine..... thanks for the intput here!!
Old 11-05-2004, 03:05 PM   #34
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
We bought a 4500w Coleman from Sams for about $350. It'll run A/C, microwave , TV, and not miss a beat.......But......It's noisy. It has a 10hp Tecumsei (sp). All the B&S, Tec and the like are really designed for a construction site-type environment where noisy is not a problem. Muffering them down or putting a box around them doesn't help. Tec even has a website explains why they're noisy. So unless you are off by yourselves, or in a truckstop among the semi's, your neighbors may shoot you. We have pulled into rest stops, Wal-mart, places like that, gone over and visit those close to us to let them know we're cranking it off and letting them know that once the trailer cools off we'll shut it down. So far no one has ever chunked something at us. We mounted ours in the front of the truckbed.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #35
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
In thinking about wattage of a generator. The formula for figuring wattage is P(Watts)=I(Amps) X E(Voltage). So if you are running fine on a 30amp service at 120volts AC, then 30a X 120v =3600watts. So anything over that should be no problem.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote