Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 AM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Ladies--Do you drive the rig?

On another thread one of the ladies mentioned that she would not drive the truck with that big rig behind it. Back in March I would have said EXACTLY the same thing! Heck, I had never even sat in the driver's seat of a truck back then. Boy how things change! Since then I have learned several things. There are some insurance policies that offer an RV return service if the primary driver becomes ill and the secondary cannot drive the rig. Several groups offer the same courtesy to their members. I read in Family Motorcoaching (we used to own a RoadTrek) about a course they gave at a rally for women so that they would be comfortable driving the big rigs. That did it for me. I was perfectly okay with the RT. It was just like a big van--no sweat! I was gonna be perfectly okay with the 5er. Right? Wrong!! When we put that enormous Montana on the back of that huge truck I was in a panic. There was NO WAY I was gonna drive with that Mon(ster)tana breathing down my neck. Bill realy put his foot down (literally, as he is an amputee and has only one to put down in any case). He was adamant--if we were going to be serious about travelling in the 5er we both had to be able to do ALL the things required to get us around the country safely. He didn't want me to be stranded in Timbuktu and not be able to get us or myself home. So he started me on my Montana driving lessons in the local school parking lot. Fine. Then we drove six blocks from that lot to a closed grocery store lot. Fine. Then I drove 22 miles to the closest campground and drove around to our site. Fine. Then he wanted me to back it in. NOT FINE!! I refused and so he had to do it. (He's had years of trailing and backing sailboat trailers so this was no big deal for him--so I flunked this part of my test.) On to driving on the interstate--a two hour tow to a mall in Elmira with a nice parallel park. Fine. Lunch at the mall. And back home. Fine. Out on our trip, replacement driver most anywhere. Fine. Out on our trip, drive through construction. Fine but VERY sweaty palms. Out on our trip, drive through city traffic. NO! Pullthrough site--okay. Back in site--HEAVEN FORBID!! What I am trying to say is that six months ago I would never have dreamed of driving the Montana. Now I am finally getting comfortable with it, am hopefully good enough to keep us safe and if we have a problem I think I could get us home as long as I don't have to back it into a site. I'll be working on that--you can bet that Bill will be making me practice. So just a few words of encouragement from a totally uncoordinated grandmother of four whose husband decided that she WOULD learn to drive the Montana because it was the only sensible thing to do. I hope other ladies out there who are physically able to drive their rigs but currently do not, will give it a try. It really is a great feeling to know that you CAN do it. Why should the guys have ALL the fun?? And I hope that you will be blessed with partners as patient and understanding asBill.Remember guys--this is like an extra insuance policy.

So who else drives their rig? How did you learn? What encouraging words do you have for the gals just starting to learn to drive the rig? I'd like to see every one of us able to safely drive our rigs anywhere. Go drive those 5ers ladies!!!

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I have pulled the 5er and previous TT's. I can tell you that the 5er is a dream to pull when compared.

I have not mastered backing in, and probably will not. But, when Al has been sick (and believe me, it has happened a couple of times), it is comforting to know that I can hook (with him supervising), do the sewer and electric stuff, and get us to where we are going. One time I had to stop every rest area so he could go lay down in the TT for an hours rest.

There are ladies out there driving 18 wheelers, we CAN do this!

Nice post Pat!!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Well I for one have a panic attack just thinking about pulling the Montana. I drive the truck all the time so it is not a problem, but the Montana Mmmmm I don't know! I know that I will have to get over this fear, just hope I don't have to do it anytime soon.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
We went to a CG a few weeks ago that the sites were tough to get into. They were "T" shaped with the site being parallel to he road. One camper backs in and another just pulls in. A group of 4 of us arrived and while I was helping the first 2 get into their site(it took more than a few tries to get their trailers where they wanted them), my wife was in the truck with our daughter and she pulled the truck and trailer up to our site and I guided her in on the first try. She does pull smaller horse trailers but backing large ones has always proved to be challenging.

She drove most of the way home also, she is not too crazy about concrete barriers at highway speeds but she is getting better.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:29 AM   #5
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
My wife and I drove an eighteen wheeler for a while so a 38 foot motorhome was a snap. She has not driven the truck with 5er but once. She will have no problem. I slept in the sleeper while she drove the eighteen wheeler...no problem. When it comes down to it, I trust her driving more than my own. Will certainly snooze while she pilots the truck and Montie. Happy trails.
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Thanks for your encouraging post Pat. My primary role in all our years of traveling has been "chief navigator". I have driven our van (no problem as long as I am going forward - poor visability for backing up), and have driven the F350 (on wide roads for the dully seems soooooo wide). However, after reading your post I have decided that hubby will instruct me on how to pull Monty, plus how to do all that connecting and disconneting stuff! You are absoultly right that there should be a back up driver in case of an emergency.

P.S. And in turn I will train him on how to read a map!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:19 AM   #7
Montana_1600
Established Member

M.O.C. #1600
What a great idea. I have driven our truck with a boat behind it, but nothing as enormous as our 5er. I too believe it would be a good idea for all of us to learn to drive - never know when an emergency might occur and there is no alternative but to drive ourselves.

I have no doubt that I could do it - just not sure it is number 1 in my desires. Will discuss this with my hubby and try the gradual mode until I become more confident in my driving skills.

Great Idea

Jackie Cooley
2004 2955RL
2004 Dodge Diesel
Montana_1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Yes, I've been pulling our Montana for 3 years. We bought it up in Reno about 3 hours away and I was the one who went up there thru the Mountains (and the road construction!) to do the walk-thru and bring that baby back home. Quite a ride, I tell you!

I work only two days a week in the summer and on Wednesdays I will often hook it up and pull it (2-1/2 hrs.) over to a campground at the ocean. Hubby will follow on Friday nights after work. He loves it because all he has to do when he gets there, is open the fridge and get a cold beer.

I do it all: hook-up, pull, back-up and set-up. It's fun to watch the faces of the men in the nearby camps when I arrive and back-up and set it up.

I didn't have anyone teach me how to do things, I just watched and learned on my own. We also have had some sort of RV for the last 15 years. I've been reading RV forums on the computer since 1996 and have paid close attention to what always was said about driving an RV and all the topics that had to do with backing up.

There shouldn't be any fear at all in pulling an RV. It's a piece of cake. Just don't go over 55mph, stay in the slow lane except for passing, make W I D E turns, watch out for idiots who will pass you and suddenly pull right-smack in front of you and always be watching ahead so you don't get into a situation where you might have to back-up or turn around in traffic. Most everyone will stay out of your way, especially when they see a woman driving!.. hahaha

I think most people are intimidated by the thought of backing-up an RV and what helped me was to watch others back-up. You'll see very, very few men can back an RV into a site on their first attempt. I realized that other people do stop and watch someone else back-up but it's not to have a good laugh.... it's to see if they can learn any secrets to make their next attempt better.

So I'd say read all you can on how to back up, watch others back-up as much as possible and then just do it! You can do anything you set your mind to. So it might take you more than one try...... yeah, so?

If you've read my profile, you have seen my favorite quote:
("Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death"... Rosalind Russell in "Auntie Mame")

So ladies, don't let the men have all the fun.... life is a banquet just waiting for you!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I am physically able to drive the truck with the Montana on the back but not "allowed". My husband has told me that if he got sick or something he would rather have his 20yo or 17yo son drive us home with the traier on the back than to have me do it. Nice huh? I'm a very good driver, I drive in rush hour traffic every day, both ways and I'm a heck of a lot safer than either of his 2 kids but whatever. If push came to shove, I would be the one doing the driving or he wouldn't be going home either.

I haven't pushed the issue but if I did I would learn how to do it. I have confidence I could hook up and get us home.....hopefully that will never happen.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY???

Once in a while I let my husband drive it, if he's lucky!!!!
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #11
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
To continue....

This past horse show we pulled into The Kentucky Horse Park around 10:30-11:00 at night. Everyone else in the campground was all snug as a bug in their campers and as luck would have it, the cars we're parked in front of the campers so there was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO room for manovering. Not to mention if you've ever been to the Horse Park, they did a wonderful job of leaving up the tree's.

So, we had a reservation because with a large group of over 20 they will do that, but the problem is after we walked around there was only one spot left, ours.

My husband was outside guiding IN THE DARK and we couldn't see a thing. I gave him a flash lite so at least I could tell the general direction of the paver. Now I see about 4-5 guys standing in the road just watching. Pressures on now!!!! If it weren't for the cars parked in front of the other campers, I know I would of gotten it in there first try, but it took a little manuerving, back n forth because I had no room. But, I got it in there. My husband was sick of hearing "Mannnnnnnn, she can drive my rig anytime." If they only knew he couldn't of done it.....
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 AM   #12
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
I certainly did have alot of laughs at this topic. It fit me to a t. I have always said I will not drive when the 5er is hooked up. I used to pull the pop-up, but that's a whole different story. It will take alot for me to drive this big monster.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:31 AM   #13
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Sherry, we used to have a Coleman tent trailer and I find pulling and backing-up the Montana is easier and it doesn't sway like the Coleman did even though we had sway-bars on the Coleman.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:39 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Montana Sue

WAY TO GO!!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:57 PM   #15
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
I agree that we all should know how to drive this rig. I have only done it a couple times but came through rush hour in Boise, ID (and it was busy)ok. My knuckles were white and I don't think I took a breath the whole way, but I did make it! Haven't tried hooking up yet but will learn to do that one of these days too.
THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:05 PM   #16
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
There have been a few times while a Ranger in South East Kansas, that I actually backed people's rigs in for them.... after watchign a painful half hour of attempts. I've not had a chance to hook up my own 5er yet (cause we still don't have it) but I have pulled everything form farm trailers, to big gooseneck equipment trailers, horse trailers and boats... Usually the uniform would keep the sexist "girl driver" @%$@%$$# to a minimum. Kevin prefer's to drive, and I will LET him cause I like the whole chauffuer routine, but I can certainly do it... and will no doubt. Ony thing that worries this flatlander is down hill in the mountains... not a lot of opportunity for that here on the high plains... especially not pulling 34.5 behind...
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:06 PM   #17
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Yes, not much opportunity with the Monty as we have only been out two times. Our previous TT 24ft was no problem. The truck has always been my vehicle and I enjoy driving it. They laugh at me at work when I come into the parking lot and this shorty gets in and out of the F350. It is a long way up and down, but I manage. The backing in I haven't done...but will try first chance I get with the Monty. Bob and I do the set up and break down together so if I had to do it by myself I am sure I could manage. It really helps to have both of us checking to make sure we didn't miss anything. Even then we sometimes do!!!!
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:08 AM   #18
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
LOL! That's a cute story and good for you! If need be, I would learn too but since I have all this testosterone around, I will let them get in trouble and botch it up!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sue

To continue....

This past horse show we pulled into The Kentucky Horse Park around 10:30-11:00 at night. Everyone else in the campground was all snug as a bug in their campers and as luck would have it, the cars we're parked in front of the campers so there was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO room for manovering. Not to mention if you've ever been to the Horse Park, they did a wonderful job of leaving up the tree's.

So, we had a reservation because with a large group of over 20 they will do that, but the problem is after we walked around there was only one spot left, ours.

My husband was outside guiding IN THE DARK and we couldn't see a thing. I gave him a flash lite so at least I could tell the general direction of the paver. Now I see about 4-5 guys standing in the road just watching. Pressures on now!!!! If it weren't for the cars parked in front of the other campers, I know I would of gotten it in there first try, but it took a little manuerving, back n forth because I had no room. But, I got it in there. My husband was sick of hearing "Mannnnnnnn, she can drive my rig anytime." If they only knew he couldn't of done it.....
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:29 AM   #19
Montana_1253

M.O.C. #1253
Hi, my name is Irene -- I'm Bob's wife. We've owned our 3295RK since the spring of 2002. I have pulled the beast a couple of times, but am quite nervous about it. I do fine out on an open stretch of road, but the thought of in-town manuvering, or getting through construction areas puts me in a panic. I keep telling myself I can do it, and the only way to get over my fear is to just practice, but I'm scared to death of getting myself in the middle of an intersection, during rush-hour and not being able to make the turn. Will I ever overcome this fear?
Montana_1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #20
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Being in the middle of an intersection in rush hour traffic with the 5th wheel is no different than being in the middle of an intersetion with your car. Just as in your car, you learn how to time lights and make decisions on whether to pull forwards into the intersection while waiting for opposing traffic to clear, etc..

Of course you can overcome the fear if you confront it by doing exactly what you are scared of, which is driving in traffic. Look at it as a challange, a new adventure, something you WANT to conquer.

You absolutely need to approach it with confidence to become master behind the wheel. A person who is scared is more likely to have problems. As with anything else, you should get behind the wheel with absolute intention upon suceeding.

If you don't think you can do it without the four "C's"...Cool, Calm, Collected and Confident, wait until you can.

Good luck to you.....