Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
3455 SA fireplace and furnitur layout

We just picked up our 2010 Hickory Ed. this past Saturday. I need to order a fireplace insert for it- anybody know the size unit to order and does it need a trim kit ? Also, can you switch the sofa and the chairs ? Those chairs are too heavy ! Can you get them out the door if you want to replace them ? What about the sofa? do they put the furniture in while a slide is out?

Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since my unit came with the fire place installed, I can't address that question. However, I can speak about the chairs. I agree that the OEM recliners are a pain in many ways. We replaced ours with Ekornes recliners. They are much, much lighter and very sturdy (I weigh about 260#). They can be bought in different sizes if you wish. Dianna's is smaller than mine. Dianna can move them easily and she suffers from back problems. Either of us can easily position them for travel.

Instead of the kick-out foot rest, they have a light weight, but sturdy, ottoman. We chose the ottoman because the kick out recliner never ever fit my legs and feet. I can adjust the ottoman to my comfort.

They are a bit pricey, but well worth it since we full time in our unit. We get "wow" from those how visit us and sit in them.

As to removing the old ones, the backs detach from the base and are not difficult to remove, just heavy. They got them in so they must come out. Many owners have successfully swapped the position of the couch and the chairs. You will just have to try it.

There are some copy cat versions of the Ekornes design that are less expensive. Check out the quality of materials and craftsmanship before settling for a copy.

We have used ours for three years. There is no sign of compaction or wear. I clean them with a good leather cleaner about every six months.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Thanks for the reply ! We actually have some danish leather recliners with ottomans that don't fit our new home furniture scheme. They too were pricey, but they are absolutely super comfortable. Since this is my first RV purchase, I will remember on the next one - if there is one- to order a unit with and with out these type of items so I can control these issues .
I did go out and check measurements on swapping out positions of chairs and sofa and they should fit.

Think I'll craigs list the montana chairs. Hate to just store them .Any idea what they are worth ?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I gave mine away for $75 each. When you buy, they are gold. When you sell, they are trash. Give them to charity and take an appropriate tax deduction.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
We will donate to Goodwill. Thanks for the reply. Our replacements are Ekornes too,great chairs!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think they are great for RVing...
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We like our recliners. They are much more comfortable than we had in our Cedar Creek as they have higher backs. Some units allow for the sofa and chairs to be switched depending on the width of the sofa. We bought our unit in March and had switched ours until last week. I wanted them switched back. Actually I now prefer it this way as it seems roomier.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
we switched our sofa position yesterday, only to find that it's too deep for the slides to work. the montana chairs , for me, are amost like a 3/4 scale chair. I'm 6'1' and 250 lbs. In a recline position, the weight of my legs makes the leg pad slowly collapse. We're just not a good fit. It just takes time to figure these things out. Due to the tv placement, we've decided that when we get to where we're going , we'll move the furniture for that interim, then switch back for travel.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Superdave, we have never used the RV funiture, we have always called the Manufactor of the 5th wheel and ask for the replacement cost of the Couch and Chairs. And then gave it to Goodwill and took it off our Tax. The RV Ultra Leather Chair (two different 5er's)were very uncomfortable and very heavy and the couch its about the cheapest made thing I have ever seen. We don't have a need for a Couch, we have one Lazy Boy recliner in the rear and a Lazy Boy Love seat re-cline away in the slide. We also have the same type in our stick house. We never have to secure any funiture when we move. We just turn the Lazy Boy recliner to the side and do nothing with the Love seat. You will find the Lazy Boy funiture will last three times longer or more than RV funiture. Out Love seat is in our third 5th wheel. When we order our 2010 5th wheel we deleted the funiture. Our last 5th wheel had a 92" sofa, and you had to remove the rear window to remove it, or use a saws all. Before the Love seat we had to Lazy Boys, mine was Leather and Delaine's was cloth but it was massage type chair, we did have to turn them back to back when moving. We prefer out Love seat across from the Tv. As Stiles said RV funiture is like gold until you try to sell them, the price for a replacement couch was $1,500 in our Cambridge per Keystone rep. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
The fireplace that came installed in our unit is a Dimplex BF 8000. The dimensions are 27.35" wide x 23.465" high x 8.75" deep. It is installed in a Dimplex mantle. If not using a Dimplex mantle, the minimum enclosure dimensions are 26.75" wide x 23" high x 9" deep according to the Dimplex users guide. Hope this helps.

Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote