Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Rear Entertainment Center - 344RET vs. 336RLT

Hi Everyone,

We are on the verge of making our first 5th wheel purchase. Excitement abounds! There are 2 Mountaineer models we are considering (2006 model year), the 344 has the rear entertainment center. Does anyone have any comments on this model? Does the entertainment center make the rig too dark since it limits light coming in from the rear? How do the electronic componants, tv and stereo, travel with the bouncing in the back? The other model we are considering is the 336RLT with the large back window. Of course, hubby is leaning one way and me the other!

Any insights around this would greatly help.

traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jay and Beth,

To each thier own, but -

We looked and looked, and after having that large back window on our last one we decided we would not go without it. I love backing the rig into a beautiful view and waking up to it. Of course it doesn't always work out that way, as sometimes you're looking at your neighbor, but we try anyway.

Also, make sure you can comfortably see the entertainment center. Although I would expect different opinions, I just couldn't find a good place to sit in those models with the rear system and comfortably watch the TV.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have the same view point as Brad. That rear window is nice to look out of when there are nice views to look at.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Thank you both for your input,it is much appreciated.
Just a few more questions. When the TV is in the side slide, can you see the TV from the dining table or the kitchen? Also, if you don't have thermopane windows are their any heat/cold issues with the big back window?

Thanks,

Beth
Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Beth,

Welcome to the forum!!

The best floor plan for you is the one that yells your name when you walk in the door!

Not all the Montana lines have that big back window,and yep, it is nice, but you need to weigh the big window against everything else a model has to offer.

As far as seeing the TV, etc. You need to go to a dealer and SIT in a unit for a while. Try it out! Many people move their furniture around to accomodate their own wishes when it comes to TV viewing.

Been said many times here, you need to make a list of your wants, desires, living styles. Then, start looking at that list when you sit in a unit. Can you see the TV, is there enough or too much kitchen counter. Lots of questions. You need to know your life style and your rving style.

Don't get me wrong, love that huge back window, but the Stevens' priorities were a desk seperated from the blue flicker of death (the telie). That was the priority for us. We knew it from a number of years in a TT and our experience.

Good luck in your decision, as they say, that decision making time, the shopping, is a LOT of fun, enjoy!

Let us hear what you choose!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
We have the 3600RE Montana possibly real close in floor plan to the Mountaineer, its a personal choice if you want a window or entertainment center. When we camp we spend a lot of time outside getting back to the 5er late, so a rear window wouldn’t help us much we enjoy that the TV can be seen from anywhere we decide to sit the side windows let in enough light and give a great view when were stuck inside for a while. Go sit in them for a while and only you can make the call on what you really want! Good luck
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Thanks for all the feedback! It's definately brought up new points that we hadn't thought about and will help us make our decision. We've sat in both and there are pro's and con's in each model. I tend to over analyze - so I think it's time to just make a decision. I think we could be happy in either.

As a side note this is a great site! We're very excited to join the forum as Montana Mountaineer owners. Thank you for all of your help, everyone has been so nice!
Old 11-19-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
richgregor
Established Member

M.O.C. #5865
Hi There,
We have the 344ret Mountaineer with windows on each side of the entertainment center. We love it and have plenty of light coming in. Have so many more windows than what we had before. We have a 2006 model and bought in New York. Have had it since May and have put on about 3000 miles so far. Just got back from Biloxi, Ms and New Orleans. You have to make up your own decision which fits best for you.
richgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I also have a 344RET and thoroughly enjoy it also. I have no issues with enough sunlight coming in because there are windows throughout. You get a full view of the TV from throughout the trailer, upstairs, kitchen, dining table, couch or recliners. The other really nice thing about the Mountaineer that is not available on the Montana is the sliding rear bumper with storage platform.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just a note - the Mountaineer rear entertainment has windows on the back (nice touch). The Montana version does not - just a solid system of shelves.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #11
COPINMI
Established Member

M.O.C. #5945
Send a message via Yahoo to COPINMI
We've got the 344 also and agree that the floorplan you want is the one that jumps out at you. I didn't want to move a piece of furniture when I had to bring the slides in and this floorplan fit the bill exactly. Everything stays put and we haven't had any problems.
COPINMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Thanks to everyone for your input! We went with the 344RET, it was a good deal and it seems to work best for us. I think we could have been happy in either but we are usually out and about all day and it would be dark when we would have had the opportunity to appreciate the rear window and hubby likes to see the TV from the dining table. The fact that there are windows on the back and not just a solid entertainment center also helped. We appreciate all the replies.

Just a side note - this is a great time of year to buy in the north. Dealers are much more willing to negotiate than they were just a month ago. Big difference in price, downside is we have to store it until spring - fortunately the dealer was willing to store it at no cost.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Congrats! Enjoy that new rig!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 AM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and enjoy your new unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Excellent choice - because it was your choice! Enjoy that new rig !