Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Montana 3000rk

I am getting ready to purchase a new 07 Montana 3000rk. Any comments as far as good or bad. Thanks in advance.

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I saw this floor plan last weekend and I really liked it, other than that I don't have much to say. Well it is a Montana so that's saying a lot anyway! Congratulations on your new Monty!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
We just bought an '06 3000RK last month. As near as I can tell, it's identical to the '07, new color and all. She takes her maiden voyage Thursday to Red River, N.M. or Creed, Colo., we haven't decided yet. We looked at every Montana the dealer had, (at least one of each) several times before narrowing it down to 2, the 3000RK and the 3600RL. We chose the 3000RK because we felt it would better serve our needs. So far we love it. It pulled great comeing home from the dealers, and got lots of thumbs up along the way. Since getting home with it, I've poured over these posts and checked everything that someone had a problem with on any Montana. The only thing I found wrong was a loose spare tire that needed the centering brackets adjusted. The trip next week should tell the tale though. There is at least one other MOC member, Bob Pasternak, that has a 3000RK, but I haven't asked him how he feels about it. I would imagine he's pleased as punch, after all it IS a Montana, and people with Montanas are the coolest people.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

We have the 3000rk and have been fulltiming for the last 6 months.
We are very happy with the unit and it has served us well. We too like the floor plan and it works for us as there are only two of us.

We did changed out the recliners for lazy boy models. Oh and we put a memory foam topper from Costco on the bed which made it very comfortable indeed.

We had the familiar shower problem so I resealed the drain and all is good.

We have the 06 model and would for sure buy again... Having said that there is a Marathon coach here now ..... oh boy what a rig.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Rrheik; We have the 3000RK and, given the little we've used it, really like it. We bought it in March with the intent of going to Siskiyou then through Canada with it but urgent hip surgery precluded that. Since then we've spent one long weekend in it. The only thing I would change in it is the "king width" bed. Had the queen in our 2955RL and that was sufficient. We'll be at the rally, then from there we're going on east for some of the "Scenic Highways & Byways" and also a few of the Civil War battle fields for a few weeks. Ask us then.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We just started our our pre-rally happy hour at the Walgreens parking lot in Jolet, IL. in Bobgay's 3000. All nine of us fit very comfortably inside during the rain. It is a very nice unit.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I don't think you can go wrong with any model of Montana. I have never been in any of the newer ones I didn't like. Good Luck and I hope you really enjoy it when you get it.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 AM   #8
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
We have a 07 3000rk thats about a month old. we've stayed in it for 3 weekends and so far we love it. DH even likes the recliners in it. He is short so the overstuffed back and short seat lets his feet touch the floor! The only problem we have found is the dining table top, some of the boards didn't meet good when they glued them together so their are cracks on both ends. I found this on the pdi so the dealer is replacing it. You would think they would know whoever bought it would not accept it so why send it out that way. Guess they hoped someone would just accept it. I love all the counter space it has too. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Pat
pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
We love our 06 3000RK, we have put about 3500 miles on it since May. The only problem was the pots and pan drawer below the frig. We both like to cook and it was full. We hit some rough roads and the latch came undone and the drawer banged into the slideout. I put a sliding latch on the outside and warranty fixed the slideout. We love the King bed as I am 6'3". We also replaced the recliners with LazyBoys which give more room in the living area. We also got the fireplace which I didn't think we would need but it has come in handy in the cool evenings in the Northwest.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Thanks for the info Buffpilot, same scenario here, we have that drawer full of pots and pans too. I will stop the headache before it happens thanks to you. I really, really like this forum.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Montana_5964
Established Member

M.O.C. #5964
We bought a 2006 3000RK in July and just love it. Took a trip up to Colorado and had no major problems. Pulled great over the mountains with a 2005 2500 Chevy Duramax Silverardo. Did have a slight problem with water temperature but we made it over the mountains before the truck overheated. Does anyone have a recomenndations on over heating? Most of the minor problems with the Monty were cosmetic so I just kept the list going and the Dealer has already repaired everything on the list. The recliners are real comfortable but I'm not liking the weight of them and it is not easy to move them back to the window wall when you want to close the slide. I will wait until they need to be replaced and then replace them with something easier to move around. One of my main reasons for picking the 3000RK was the layout and counterspace in the Kitchen and I'm loving it. I actually still have some empty cabinets which I'm sure will fill up when we are full timing it. I really like the trash can under the counter with the hole cut in the top and taking the trash out from the outside door. It gives you extra storage for trash bags and a outdoor trash can. I don't know if the other Montana models have the hole in the counter for the trash can. If your looking for a lot of counterspace in the Kitchen I don't think you could go wrong with the 3000RK. Good luck on your purchase and let us know your final model decision.
Montana_5964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #12
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks everyone...Going to talk price tonight...DW sure likes the layout of the 3000RK. I am 6'3" as well, and was wondering about the ceiling by closet in bedroom, but I don't think that will be where I hag out, and DW loves the kitchen, so I guess Montana is the way to go. Have a Wilderness now, which has been really good to me, but the Montana has so many more whistles and bells, so should be fun. We are spendng about 8 mos. of the year rving, and the size is the perfect fit.....Thanks again. Barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Bob, I don't bang my head up there, but you've got a couple of inches on me. My wife also liked the kitchen and all the counter & cabinet space. That was the deciding factor for us. IMHO you have made an excellent choice.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Barb and Bob,
We bought our 3000RK in January and left in early March on a trip to Alaska. We are now almost 14,000 miles into that trip, and the coach has performed very well. If we were fulltimers we would probably get one of the bigger models, but after spending 6 1/2 months in it, we still feel like this is the right coach for us. Any rear kitchen model requires a little more care in packing breakable items, but we like the layout of the kitchen and feel it is worth the trouble. I think you are making a good choice.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:58 AM   #15
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Barb & Bob,
Dano and I bought our 2006 3000RK last August. We had looked at SOOOO many, and when we walked into this model, that was it! THIS is what we're looking for! Everything about it to us is just perfect.

This was on the dealer's lot and had alot of the options except for the fireplace. We almost ordered one w/the fireplace, but the "show model" price sticker that was on it was too good, so we had them put a SOLD sign on the door and went in search of a truck!!

Our dealer was so fantastic - Nothgate in Ringold, GA- they explained everything to us, told us stories of their adventures, made us do everything so we understood how it all worked, took care of minor problems we had without any hesitation, told us about the MOC. Actually, they remind me of everyone here on the MOC.

We love where the trash can is located, the counter space, the storage space, the huge window, the king size bed, and especially the whole non claustrophobic (sp?) "feel" that it has, even when there are alot of people inside. Ours was one of the first ones, so we don't have the new nosecap, cedar closet, etc.. but we don't care.

We lived in ours hooked up down at our lake from August last year until May while we were remodeling the brick house. We have taken it out several weekends and on a couple of vacations. Now that I'm posting this, I have a feeling that we're going camping this weekend!!

Hope you enjoy your new Montana when it arrives. Keep us posted and if you have any specific questions, ask away!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:43 AM   #16
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
bARB AND BOB,

i HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE CEILING IN THE BEDROOM, YES ITS CLOSE NEXT TO THE CLOSET, BUT AS YOU SAID YOU DO NOT SPEND MUCH TIME THERE. i MADE A DEAL WITH MARCIA SHE TOOK THE RIGHT SIDE, ME THE LEFT OF THE BED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT I MAKE THE EARLY MORNING TRIPS OUTSIDE WITH THE PETS!

WE ALSO LIKE THE TRASH SET UP. I PICKED UP A COLLASPABLE GARBAGE/LEAF CAN AT WALLMART THAT HOLDS A LARGER TRASH BAG IS ROUND AND WITH THE SPRING TENSION FITS UP NEXT TO THE CIRCLE BETTER THAN THE ONE THAT CAME WITH THE MONTY. ENJOY!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 AM   #17
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Sorry for the all caps, did not mean to shout. Take Care
Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 PM   #18
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Buffpilot, I really like your idea about the trash can. I think everyone likes the garbage can setup in the 3000RK, but the round hole and rectangular can combination isn't the best. We have not been able to find a can that fits well, but the collapsible can sounds like the answer. Thanks.
Bob
Old 09-20-2006, 03:54 AM   #19
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Bob, On one of our first trips, we forgot to empty the trash can and so during the road trip, it must have bounced around and ended up breaking the shelf loose that it was sitting on. We didn't put it back up and the trash can now just sits on the floor. We like it alot better now. It's not real close to the top anymore, but it seems to work better that way, especially when we're using it from the outside.

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #20
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Lisa, that sounds pretty good idea too. I guess you could put a larger (at least taller) can in there. We do, however, use the space under the shelf for storage. I love all the good ideas you hear about on this forum.
Bob