Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How to connect pvc pipe to sewer connectors?

After a discussion in another thread I'm thinking of using pvc pipe as a sewer hose this winter. I would need standard sewer connections on each end. Has anyone done that or know how it's done? Does the hose fit over the pvc pipe? If so, I guess 4 inch hose clamps and maybe a screw or two to hold everything still would work??? Thanks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Steve,plumbing supply shops sell flexible rubber connectors that use large hose clamps to connect two pieces of pipe.
That may be your easiest fix. Take care.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I'll take some photos of how some of the guys here at the campground have theirs set up and post the photo on line tomorrow (dark now). They're using all hard PVC piping and elbows, but the flexible elbows will be a lot easier to install (not like the other way is very difficult), but just better as indicated in the previous post.

2006 Montana 3500RL, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter/Alarm, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I would think you would want to hide the edges from the flow to keep things tidy?
I'm not sure of the sizes, but if you have a clean (new) connector, it would be worth a trip to the hardware store.

That piping sounds like a great idea as long as you stay put for a while. Reusing it would be another matter unless you could come up with a way to adjust the length.
I'd like to have a solid pipe even on my weekend outings.

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I use pvc to get to my sewer here at the house so I can dump the trailer when I get home all 4 inch pipe with rubber flex joints at each joint I connect the trailer with a short piec of flex sewer hose and glued a adapter to the end of the pvc pipe and just hose clamp it together works like a dream and easy to picukup after the dirty work is done

tim ford
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I found an invention on the web which was patented by a guy just this year and can be seen on this site:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7036524.pdf

please note: when you pull up this site you'll have to scroll down a bit to find the hyperlink (PDF File) to view the patent including drawings, and specs. Looks like something that should come standard on all RVs.

2006 Montana 3500RL, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter/Alarm, LED Running Board Lights
Old 09-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I believe if you go to a plumbing outlet you can get a 4" reducer and bring it down to 3". Thej you can just use your regular fittings to hook up.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Steve, what we do is to take a six inch sleeve and attach it to our clear clean out and the other end to the 45 degree elbow that connects to the PVC pipe with clamp connecters. You can pick up the sleeve at any home improvement or hardware store.

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I did it with a couple of trips to the RV & hardware store. Flexible elbo & hose clamps to a connector from the RV store that went on Monty dump pipe.Won't be there till the weekend after next and will try to remember to email you a photo. Works great when you know what to buy.

Mike & Debbie
2003 3295RK,2002 F250 4x4 Supercab,7.3,
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I took some photos of a set up (pvc sewer line) via my cell phone, but I tried to send the photos to my e-mail account to pull them up, but it wouldn't transmit ;-( I'll try transmitting them tomorrow while at work.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Great info, everyone. Photos are always helpful but don't go to much trouble.

It looks like I can probably come up with what I need between a plumbing supply place/Home Depot and our RV dealer's parts shelves. I'm thinking this would be good to avoid ice buildup while we're in the KC area for Nov/Dec. The sewer connection on these sites are at the back corner of the rig so I'm using a pretty good length of hose. Originally I thought I'd have to toss the pipe and start over each winter but I believe I can attach some brackets under the belly and carry the pipe there.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-12-2006, 03:38 AM   #12
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
Steve,

I've seen people here at the campground with a 2 ft flexible sewer hose fed into the pvc pipe which is supported with rocks and such. To prevent freeze up in the pipe people here in Wyoming put a heat tape around the sewer hose and unsulate them with duct tape and fiberglass insulation. The campground owner says it works great and there is no ice build up.

Tim Marshall
2004 3670RL Montana
2002 F-350 powerstroke diesel
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Tim. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do this but all these great ideas to choose from will help a lot. Thanks to all.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Steve, I am about to do this same thing in a few days when we start working at a Corps. park here in TX. I bought a stright & a 45 degree fitting for the trailer sewer hookup, I took the stright one to Home Depot and the thick 4in. PVC has the perfect inside dia. for the sewer fitting. I will use one or the other of the fittings depending upon the allignment with the Sewer trap. A bit of silicone and a couple of small screws should secure this nicely. The end into the sewer simular. I did intend to place the flexible sewer hose inside PVC but I think this idea may work better. For my fresh water I plan to use this pool spaghetti stuff and place the water hose inside those, then slide the entire thing into 3in. PVC. At the trailer connector I found that the new foam insulators for outside faucets fit nice and snug in the trailer housing, put a 45 degree fitting coming off the trailer with a little slot cut in the faucet cover. I haven't worked out the end coming off the supply faucet yet as I use a charcoal filter there and I have to come up with and idea.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Wacot. I don't know how cold the temperatures you'll be in but you may find insulation on the hose may not be enough. Mine has heat tape running the length, then the foam pipe insulation covering that, with thermostat sticking out in the cold. That works very well, even at five below zero F. The park's supply pipe and spigot I also heat taped and insulated. You have to cover it all or the uncovered part will freeze. We had no problems with our supply freezing using this method. I also put a five gallon bucket filled with insulation over the top of the supply pipe and spigot.

I take our filters off for the winter but we are fortunate this park has excellent water. You might be able to heat tape the filter.

I will check out the pipe connections for the sewer connection. I want to have this all done by the first of November.