Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
David..You are way to logical..The highest point in the camper is the logical place for the FF for the reason you stated..That is why it is where it is in the 3400.Don't know how you could put a exhaust fan and a A/C in the bedroom unless you knocked a hole in the wall or roof or inserted one in the window. IMO I think there should be a small fan of the type in the Bathroon vent in the vent outside the shower to aid in removing condensation when showering. We will put one there. We keep the FF and the overhead fan running all the time, sometimes in auto somethimes in manual low..it is a huge aid in AIR FLOW you have got to get that hot air that rises to the roof out of the camper and keep the air moving..We have the 2nd A/C in the bedroom although we have not seen a need for it yet...however..the A/C has a "fan" position on it..turn on the fan..air circulates.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #22
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Rich--

I think we are looking at things the same way--we just have a little nomenclature problem. When I'm talking about an exhaust fan in the "bedroom", I'm talking about putting a fan in the vent just outside the shower that can exhaust the moisture from the shower as well as hot air from the bedroom when appropriate. I just think of that area as the "bedroom" as opposed to the kitchen/dining/living area.

I'll be looking for a fan that can, when appropriate, move a substantial amount of air QUIETLY thru the bedroom on nights where the outside temps are reasonable. Jo-Anna likes her fresh air, and I aim to keep her happy!!!!!

Ozz mentioned his use of a reversible MaxxAire fan. Any other recommendations as to what type of fan to use for what I have in mind?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #23
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
David,

Ozz's choice is our choice, for quiet, if you are only gonna have one, and you want a quiet one, then choose MaxxAire, it is MUCH quieter than the FF I have heard and used. Yes, it is reversible.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #24
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
hmmmm, So let me get this straight. If I dont choose as an option when ordering a Fan, I will get an OEM Fan in the kitchen area and then I can install a Maxxair fan right outside of the shower area?

Is the OEM Fan that comes with the Monty a "Fantastic Fan"? I think I have my fans mixed up in my head.

'06 F350 SD King Ranch CC LB 6.0L PSD FX4 4x4
Still shopping for the Monty !

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Bellingham.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Bellingham, Washington Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/TX/Cypress.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Cypress, Texas Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #25
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Not sure what kind of fans they are currently installing.

However, do note, that the ceiling vent next to the shower, that we used to install a FF, was NOT wired from the factory.

Not sure, but think, if you pay for the 2nd air PREP, that they run the wires to the ceiling vent OVER the bed.

Carol
Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok David.We are now on the same page. I will be looking into the reversable maxxair fan for that vent next to the shower.Since we will be long timimg it may be a good idea. We will be making a trip to the "salvage yard" when at the fall rally and looking for one of those is on my list. There should some sort of a exahust fan in that vent next to the shower. I am not yet convinced that it need be as large as a FF or Maxxfan???

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 09-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #27
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich,

Think it would depend on how much hot water you use during a shower and how long a shower you take. If you take short showers, with cool, not hot water, you probably won't steam up much.

We don't notice the steam in the summer when the air is running, that said, we still will run the fan sometimes, just to aid in getting that steam out.

We do notice it, quite a bit however, in the cooler weather, and as we all know, moisture is something we CAN have too much of in a unit. We run the FF every time we take a shower in spring, winter and fall, it takes a bit of time to get most or all of the moisture out, if you are considering a computer fan thingy, well, maybe, but, I think you are better off with a cheaper model FF that you can turn off and on. Unless you are one of those that wants to run it all or part of the night. Then you are much better off with the Max Aire.

We had a factory installed fan in the bathroom of the TT, it did the trick, but the area was much smaller than the area in Tana, it was our opinion that we needed a FF to do the trick in Tana, and for us, it does work just fine.

Carol
Old 09-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we are leaning in that direction.

Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 09-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #29
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Carol:

Somehow I think Rich is one of those, like me, who generates LOTS OF STEAM. LOL LOL LOL !!!!!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 09-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #30
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
David

I think I will let that pass,

NO COMMENT

Carol
Old 09-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I really want to get that fan replaced in the water closet. I am not familiar with the MaxAir capabilities. The FF is great in the kitchen. I'll leave it there. Sue, using it instead of that airplane engine stove vent fan would be a real relief - if it is effective enough as a replacement fan for cooking.

I will be looking at what others are doing at the Rally for ideas on that shower vent fan.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have been known to get a bit hot under the collar at times.

Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 09-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #33
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
I suggest if you decide to go w/ a 3400RL having a 2nd Fantastic Fan installed in the vent next to the shower along with one in the kitchen. I use the kitchen FF all the time, really helps in that area. I wish I would have had a 2nd one installed next to the shower, since I don't, I use my 2nd a/c fan to help move the moisture to the FF in the kitchen.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:06 AM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I second Dave's (Montana Sky) thought's on "if we had it to do over again..."

Old 09-04-2006, 04:18 AM   #35
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave and Dave,

You can add one, have to fish the wires. Take the vent out, then go fishing.

Al said go into the potty room and get there, so the wire is always hot. Grab the potty room fan wire, as it is always on.

They happened to grab ours on a switch, one of them that turns on the ceiling lights in potty or shower area. Now, for most people that would be a problem, but for us it is not, as we leave those switches in the ON position ALL the time. We turn the ceiling lights on and off at the light itself.

Carol
Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #36
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Carol--Thanks for the tip on tapping into the toilet exhaust fan. I figured the logical way to get the shower exhaust fan was by means of just such an aftermarket installation--I would be looking to put in a shower exhaust fan that is simpler and less expensive than the FF w/rain sensor that Montana sells as an OEM option, and since the wiring to tap into is so close at hand (unlike running control wires from the roof down to the wall switch for the FF in the kitchen ceiling), I don't see this installation as one that is better done at the factory.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 09-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #37
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
David

You are welcome, our FF does not have the fancy rain guard stuff, and it is a lot less coin.

Cheers, Carol
Old 09-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I need wall switches as my shoulders hurt way too much turning stuff on and off overhead. That hand crank in the potty room is murder for me

Old 09-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We ordered this rig with fantastic fan in the bath hall but then changed the order to put it at the kitchen vent. In my opinion the FF is nice to have but absolutely not necessary to handle moisture or any other reason. We fulltimed for over two years before installing a FF in our 3295RK. WE had NO moisture problems whatsoever. Turning on the water closet exhaust fan and leaving the w/c door open while showering handled things just fine.

A second AC is nice if you spend a lot of time in very hot weather. Otherwise in my opinion it's not necessary and just costs you extra $ at those rv parks that charge more just because you have the second AC. If you spend much time in very hot weather then by all means it would be worthwhile.

The above are just my opinion and may not be valid for everyone's situation. But I do feel a FF is nice to have but not necessary.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #40
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
Are you going to change out your watercloset fan with a quite computer fan again?? If so, might you be doing that at the rally?? =)

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote