Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Polaris Family
Established Member

M.O.C. #1655
Sleeper sofa

We have a few questions. Do any of you use the sleeper sofas? Do you use it often? Anyone know the life expectancy of those "matresses"? Ours is the folding type rather than the jack-knife, it's all of two years old with very little use, but there seems to be nothing left in the way of support in the matress. We were just wondering if this is typical, and any idea how much it costs to replace one? Any help is appreciated!

Polaris Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
If we go and have to use the sleeeper sofa we have a queen size air mattress that we air up and lay it on top of the mattress that came with the sofa, the daughter says it is very comfortable that way, when we are not using it we let the air out and fold it up. Hope this helps and an air matress is going to be cheaper than a hide a bed mattress. Good Luck Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Polaris Family,

That thing gave me such back trouble! arghhhhh. After a couple of weeks of it, I ended up sleeping on the floor as much as on the couch. After 3 months on the road, and a lot of moaning and groaning from me, plus the fact that I hurt so bad I could not sit on the ground and get up, Al bought me a futon. I am in futon heaven. No more ultra sore back. At least if it is sore, I know it is not that sofabedfromhe**.

Others, have replaced the mattress, others have replaced the couch with lazy boy type couches, or other residential couches, some with sofa beds, others without. Some have put a board under it, some use those memory foam or corregated foam toppers.

I think if you read the archives and use the search feature, you will find about as many solutions to this problem as there are MOC members!! HA HA, well, almost.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide, we love hearing the solutions as well as the problems.

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ditto on the air mattress. I have never found a sofa bed that worked well as a bed, but it does make a good frame for the air mattress. This air mattress has its own battery driven pump, so very easy to inflate and stores easily behind the sofa.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have been using the sofa bed every night, for our son, while we are in Texas. It has been used 2 seasons so far. We are going to replace it with a Lazy Boy love seat sleeper. He doesn't need the Queen size and we can use the extra room in the coach. We have changed to sofa bed to the rear of the coach.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:31 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Bill, tell everyone what you changed your original chairs too. COMFORTABLE! Nice touch!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 AM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Our sofa bed has been used by several people, and they have all slept very well. Says it doesn't feel like a sofa bed because they can't feel the bar. Hate sleeping on my mother in law's sofa bed - there is definately a bar right in the middle of your back! The mattress in the Monty seems thicker than most I've seen on a sofa. Maybe the newer ones are better? Not sure how long it will last, but I think that what the others have said about air mattress or memory foam would be the way to go.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Lisa, could be you got a better quality, ours was horrid, and I could feel the bars, not in the middle of my back, but legs and hips. Interesting, maybe they did improve em????
Old 06-30-2006, 04:15 AM   #9
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Carol, The mattress is like 5" thick. I haven't slept on it but have laid on it and you really can't feel anything under you that's uncomfortable. I always think of the old story about the princess and the pea when talking about sofa mattresss! LOL
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:23 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
ohhh, if you are looking at 5 inches on the OEM mattress, that is NOT what we got! NOOOOO way, ours was maybe 2 inches, maybe 3 if you fluffed it up.

I ain't no princess!! HA HA HA The twins like to think they are tho! HA HA HA
Old 06-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have had several different people sleep on our sofa sleeper and they say it is comfortable--two of them were our sons and I can gaurantee that if they thought it was uncomforatble they would tell us we had a piece of crap.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
One night on that mattress and we purchased a replacement and that thing went to the curb!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My hide-a-bed is on its 3rd year now. It is used often, but not every weekend. I had a 2" memory foam pad put on it, amazing at the difference. Might be worth looking into the foam pads.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #14
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I guess I should sleep on mine once and see how bad or good it is, hmmmmm, let me think, uh, nah, I just bought a 4" memory foam for my KING size bed. Seriously I've asked my mom (the usual person) and my daughter and they both said it's not bad. Now maybe they're just being nice to me but I think either would be inclined to tell me the truth.

I should consider the inflatable mattress, or maybe a topper for the sofa. What do you do with your topper Dave? Does it fold up inside too or do you store it elsewhere?

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:55 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
POLL TIME!!!!

OK, this has really got my curisity going, soooo, those who have posted, could you measure the mattress (if you still have it) and post the YEAR of your unit.

I think the new units have thicker mattress. That could be the huge difference in our reactions to them.

SO, I'll start (even tho mine is gone)

2004, it was 2.5 inches thick.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:09 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not sure of the mattress thickness but anyone that wants a sleeper sofa can have ours. It is still like new. In the 2955RL it is against the counter when open making it impossible to get around. Only thing I want for it is the price of a reasonably priced futon and it's yours but you have to pick it up.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:45 AM   #17
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We have a 2004 and the matress is 2.5" thick. Our Daughter has slept on it several times, and says it is horrible to sleep on.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #18
Polaris Family
Established Member

M.O.C. #1655
Well looks like ours is between 2.5 and 3.0 inches (depending on where you put the tape) and is a 2004 model also. Maybe that's the common thread. I put an air mattress on this afternoon and it seems like it will fit just fine, so that will probably be the solution for us. Thanks to all who responded, we just wanted to know if that was "normal" or not.

Wish you all a happy Forth of July! Don't forget to thank all the military folks you know!!!
Polaris Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My 2004 goes as follows~
2.5" thick plus 2" memory foam = 4.5" thick
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:21 AM   #20
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Our 2006 mattress is about 2.5 to three inches thick. I layed on it and said that we would need to add something to it if one of us was sleeping there and wanted to actually get some sleep.

Dave,

Do you fold your memory foam into the couch? We kept our topper from our New Vision and could use it on the couch but I didn't think it would fold up into the couch.

Carol,

If I get mad at Bob he is going to the couch not me
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote