Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Ladies Choice..

How many of you ladies help your mates pull your rigs? Now that I am over this 14 month ordeal with breast cancer, I want to do different things and experience more of life. My heartfilled thanks to everyones thoughts and prayers during this. I am even getting my hair back... We decided to keep the stone house and travel about six months of the year instead of full time and wait and see what the future holds. Thanks again to everyone.. Happy and healthy camping Janet. Ps The doctors gave me a complete bill of health

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
First let me say how happy I am that you now have a clean bill of health and my prayers are that you will for ever. Now about the other there is no way that I can do the driving so Walt has to do it all. I do back the truck up to hook up while Walt directs me. I hope that someday I will get the guts to do that because should he get sick or something I could but I just don't know. OH! YEA! Walt says I am the worst back seat driver he has ever seen because I am always looking out for things. LOL.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
So wonderful to hear that your doctor gave you such good news!!
I have only driven staight down the road ...so far! My sister has a Class A motorhome and drives all the time...I hope to get some more driving in this season!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Janet,
So very glad to hear of your good news! Since I am single there is nobody else to help tow my coach or other summer toys, but my suggestion is "GO FOR IT". There is nobody that can hold you back but you, enjoy the new challenges life brings you down the road.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Janet, we are so glad to hear of your good report and great prognosis. We battled cancer three years ago and won so we appreciate what a wonderful blessing it is. I have yet to tow the Monty. Glen does such a good job......
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, I drive it. Next on my learning life's lessons list is backing up. I have had to drive several times when Al was ill and we had to be somewhere, food poisoning one time knocked him for a loop! I hooked up (this was the TT), dumped, all that stuff, drove all the way that day, had to stop at every rest area so he could rest for an hour in the TT on the bed. But, we made our schedule, and by the time we got there he was able to set it all up.

If you can beat cancer, you can do this! You have done the hard stuff, now go do the fun stuff!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Great on the clean bill of health...Helen is not around right now but we share the driving, always have.Makes the trip a lot easier. She is a motor mouth and chatters on the CB with all the truckers.Her handle is snowhawk.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Your clean bill of health is wonderful news, Janet!—do you have a Livestrong bracelet to wear?

As was already said, if you can beat that, pulling the Montana would be a breeze. Now, if I can just convince Marsha that she needs to learn how!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Janet
I'm so happy to hear you got a clean bill of health! Yea for you! I don't drive when towing - I've done it once just to get the feel on a back country road. I think I could as I drive Big Brutus all over. I've never been a good backer so don't think I could back the Monty but you never know. If I drive it would really be short days as after about 1 1/2 hrs. my leg starts hurting and I'm afraid I'll not be able to brake. Ed has done all of the driving (even car long distance) for the past 11 years since my accident.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Janet, so glad to hear your ordeal is over. Best wishes for your continued good health. Jan doesn't drive the TV as a rule--even when not towing. She just doesn't feel comfortable doing it. However, when I pulled a back muscle and couldn't even sit up she drove us home, 500 miles in one day. We were both glad to see she could do it in an emergency.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Janet,
Very glad that you got a clean bill of health. I think you should try sharing the driving. I sort of enjoy it myself. Diana and I have talked about selling our rig but now we are reconsidering that idea. I would like to get Diana to drive also. As far as backing goes you ladies can't do any worse than I do backing, but I'm getting better. So I say go for it.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #12
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
So glad to hear about your complete bill of health. That's great news.

I drove our last 5th wheel around the storage lot once. I haven't the Monty but think I would be OK as long as I don't have to back up. I have trouble backing the little John Deere tractor up when the cart is attached.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Great news about your clean bill of health!

I am going to start towing this year. I have pulled travel trailers and
U-haul trailers. I pulled one travel trailer from SC to MO. So I don't think I will have any problem. Only thing that bothers me is backing up.
Dusty
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #14
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
So glad to hear about your clean bill of health! One day I will see if I can pull the Monty, until now John does all the driving.
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Michael and Diana, I hope you don't sell that rig before your visit to our get-together in Georgia. So many nice people to meet and we hope you can be there!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #16
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Good to hear. GOD answers prayer.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:43 AM   #17
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Janet,

Great news about your "clean bill of health". I hope you have a wonderful six months of traveling. You deserve it.

I am female and a solo act. So it's all left up to me hooking up, driving, backing, the works. I say go for it. It's like others have said you never know when you might need to drive out of necessity and if you have some practice it will take the edge off a crisis.

When I think of trying anything new that feels a little intimating I just think of the words of Mark Twain, "Anticipation is worse than the event". I generally find this to be true.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
BJ, got to love that quote!!!!!!!!!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:38 AM   #19
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Janet, after reading all of these well wishes, there isn't too much left that I can say to you, except that , what wonderful news you have shared with us. I know by experience that God does answer our prayers...and out of these experiences, we are stronger individuals.
As far as towing the Montana, I have done a little bit of it....on loooong , straight roads. However, now that David is really used to towing, he says that he had rather drive than ride....could it be that I make him nervous?? All kidding aside, I could do it if I had to and like Carol, I think that I have watched and helped David enough that I could even hitch and do the other stuff. But, just observing won't do it...we have to actually experience it...so, I think that I could tow the Montana if need be.
Janet, you have many happy times ahead, enjoy all of it.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 AM   #20
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I'm the wife and I can hook-up, drive, back into sites, un-hook, set-up, break-it-down, dump the tanks... you name it. Especially during the summers, I take the Montana by myself to our favorite place to camp and the husband will come over a few days later.

If you have the desire (but not the confidence) to start, I would guess the best way is to shadow your driver each and every time he is going thru the preparation of getting ready to hook-up. The same for when you arrive somewhere and he goes thru the un-hook and set-up procedure. The same for when it's time to get ready to leave.

Carry a pad of paper and pen and write down everything he does in order then type it up. Post this in plastic on the inside of your basement door (when it's open) at eye level. It's a great reminder of what to do next. Have a how to hook-up procedure, a set-up procedure and a break-down procedure.

After you shadow your driver enough times, you'll be able to anticipate what he is going to do next before he does it. Then you'll be able to start helping by getting things out and ready for the next the step. You'll start getting the confidence to want to do it and you can even then have your driver shadow you as you do it all.

I think once you have that down, you'll have the confidence to want to start to tow, even if it's in a straight line at first.

Good luck!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote