Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #21
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
For warranty issues you may have other options than an authorized Montana dealer. I was succesful in getting warranty work taken care of by a different manufacturers dealer/RV repair facility and paid for by Keystone with prior authorization from customer service.

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:29 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can say that some of the issues are no longer issues..I did not do anything.For example the famous Thermostat issue now replaced by the CC is not a issue.perhaps the Forum had something to do with it or perhaps there were many warranty reports..Don'T know. Overhead Fan noise. haven't seen that posted for a long time and the overhead fans on the Montana, Cougar and Mountaineer at the RV show were quiet. Did the forum help???? was it Warranty reports????I know of no mechanism for getting that data into the system other than , as we, did, and do, present it to your District rep.Every time I have E mailed Mark Krol with a question or issue he has investigated and replied. Of course he looks at the data base that some of us feel we need not report into..Oh well.. Many have requested the list. I will NOT post the list on the forum because it will be picked apart or labeled nit picking by some but I will send you a E mail with the list attached as long as you understand that it is MY list of what I feel is important to me..may not to you...OK
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:27 AM   #23
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
We had warranty work done in Michigan, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina and Florida. Never had a problem with any Dealer. The one in Florida only complained that he did not like working for Keystone as he had to pay for parts before Keystone would deliver. Then he had to wait for Keystone to reimburse him which took a long time.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #24
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Rich, I understand your reluctance to post it on the forum, but would appreciate the list of issues because I feel it will be beneficial in what to look for when shopping and doing a pre delivery inspection regardless of the manufacturer.

Thanks,
Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Searchers

Rich, I understand your reluctance to post it on the forum, but would appreciate the list of issues because I feel it will be beneficial in what to look for when shopping and doing a pre delivery inspection regardless of the manufacturer.

Thanks,
Don
Check your PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #26
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Vicki is online and I (steve) am not so I asked to post this using her login.

First, I have to agree with the other fulltimers that taking our Montana to a dealer for every little problem is just not realistic. Generally a dealer cannot address a problem the same day. Some will insist you leave it for a few days or a week or more until they can get to it. That is not acceptable when this is our home. Others will make you an appointment down the road. If that conflicts with our travel plans and the problem is something I can fix myself, guess which route I'm going.

As for reporting every little problem, I agree the database is one source Keystone no doubt looks at to fine tune the process. But it's not the only way. They talk to people at shows. They have told me that. They read this forum. Those of you with a late 2003 or newer 3295RK know the water pump switch is near midships of the Montana. Those of us with earlier models have the switch at the rear, inaccessible with slides retracted. Know why it got moved? I suggested here that it be moved or a second switch added. I got an email from Mark Krohl, and after a series of emails he told me it is being moved to the center. So I know for fact they listen and they read this forum.

Many of you know how many problems were reported for about a year, ending some time last Fall. Little things, like we're talking about here. Loose water connections. Missing or loose screws. Etc. We reported those here, quite extensively. And guess what. At that time Keystone was building 35 Montanas per day in a single plant. They have built a new plant and split the production. Anybody else notice how few problems we're hearing about on the 2006 models? Anybody wonder why?

It's always important to make sure the decision makers know about the problems. But the warranty database is but a single source for that information. I think it's the mark of a good company that also uses every other source they can find to get that information. Keystone is one of those companies.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #27
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
i don't want to bash keystone; but i think their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. i bought a new cougar and all the plumbing, screws around the storage compartments, all the wiring under the rig, everything was loose. bought a new montana from the same dealer and told him about the cougar problems and asked that the montana be checked out before delivery. guess what? they told me they never heard of these problems. i take the monty home and same thing with the plumbing and loose screws. never took either unit back to dealer did the work myself. faster and i knew it was done right. the only thing that bothers me is i don't know what everything looks like underneath because i have the artic package and i don't want to take it off because i haven't had any problems there. other than the minor things, i have never had a major problem with my monty and for that i feel lucky. we love our monty and are not sorry we bought it.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #28
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have a question for you fulltimers. When you are having work done on your coach, how do you go about finding a dealership to do the work. Let me explain what I am asking, my coach is out of factory warranty but I have 6 more years on my extended warranty. Do you folks call any Montana dealership to find out if they will do work on your coach? (no matter who pays, you or your extended warranty) or do you call your extended warranty provider and find a contracted service shop to do the work? I have been very lucky with my 2004 Montana as I only had a few MINOR problems during the first 6 months and have a dealership that goes above and beyond every time I am there. I am more concerned about as Countryguy said earlier, "being 2,000 miles away from home...and away from my purchasing dealer." Any tips that you can share with how you go about having your coach serviced while on the road would be appreciated...
Thanks, Dave
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I needed a refrigerator replaced under extended warranty. I just went to a RV repair shop. They called my extended warranty company and told them what the problem was and was told to go ahead and make the repair. The warranty company agreed on the cost and gave the RV shop their credit card number against which the charges were made.

We haven't ever had a problem with repairs under warranty, extended warranty, or out of warranty.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #30
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Orv,
That is just the news I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the info!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I needed a refrigerator replaced under extended warranty. I just went to a RV repair shop. They called my extended warranty company and told them what the problem was and was told to go ahead and make the repair. The warranty company agreed on the cost and gave the RV shop their credit card number against which the charges were made.

We haven't ever had a problem with repairs under warranty, extended warranty, or out of warranty.
Orv
Who is your extended warranty company. We will be buying one and my homework has begun.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #32
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Steve, Well said. It has been my expeience that while on the road I have had good luck in finding dealers that were willing to work with me. I even had an experience that involed my insurance company and Keystone was to send something over night and they forgot to do it, so they even paid our hotel bill for the next night. I am happy with the way I have been handled by Keystone.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:54 AM   #33
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Who is your extended warranty company. We will be buying one and my homework has begun.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Orv
Rich,
The name of the warranty services I have is:
The DFS Advantage
DFS Warranty Services, Inc
PO Box 21666
St. Petersburg, FL 33742-1666
800-266-4009

Hope this helps.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ols1932..Thanks..DFS Warranty services has changed names many times..it is now known as GE Warranty Business service.They do not sell directly to the consumer but you must buy through a Rv dealer. We E mailed them for our nearest dealer.Their coverage looks much like the others..will see what the price is..thanks again...