Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
It's in the driveway!

Hey all,
I am officially a Monty head now! Just brought my new 3475RL and parked it next to my POS 2005 HR Endeavor. Dang, the Monty is taller!
I think I am at 13'1" tall with the vent covers and bedroom air. Anyone have problems getting around being so tall? I guess kind of late to ask that eh? LOL
The PDI went pretty good, things got a little tense when we discovered that the kitchen heating vent was not throwing any heat due to design flaw. We ended up getting anther vent cover with adjustable fins and now got heat in the kitchen area. Anyone have same issue? Also discovered the Monty tugs a little when my Allison downshifts or hit the brakes. Too low on pin weight?? Is water tank located ahead of rear axles? Thought maybe adding more water to help ride.
Also I got about 5 inches clearance above bed rail and have slight hint of rv sitting uphill while towing. Almost level and not sure if I want to adjust my hitch up to get another inch of clearance since rv tugs already. Any suggestions? My last 5th I had at least .5 inches of clearance but rv center said for normal driving I am ok with set up. Help me out here . Thanks.

ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations! The 3475 is a beautiful floorplan. I can attest to the fact that the water tank is behind the rear axle. We got a firsthand look at ours during our trip to Alaska.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I know you are excited to be having a "hands on" experience. Getting all the nuances of your new Monty is both tedious and pleasurable. I don't have your model or your TV, so not much help there. Just wanted to be happy for you. Hoping you enjoy this "get acquainted dance" with your Monty.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
ejc1214
Congrats on your new coach, what an exciting time for you. I may have not understood your meaning on the term "tugs" when you hit the brakes but, it leads me to believe the rv shop has your brake controller set just a little to high. My 3400RL is at 13'1" and have not had much trouble moving around, there is a truckers atlas out that has alot of good information about low bridges and roads to avoid. Also their is the Big Rigs book out with other info as well, you might want to check those out. In my opinion I would get your new coach loaded up and settle in before you adjust anything, once you have some weight in there it might just level things out. Best of luck with your new coach and hope for many happy trips to come.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Congratulations on your new coach. Now the fun begins. Keep us posted.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I agree with Montana Sky re the adjustment to your electric brakes. When we picked up our Monty last summer, the dealer had set the Boost at level 1 and the Gain up around 10. Whenever I tried to brake at low speed (especially when the brakes were cold) the brakes grabbed like crazy when I depressed the brake pedal. I eventually figured out the following procedure. When moving in a campground or just starting out, I set the boost at 1 and the gain at 7.0. The first few times I brake, I slowly apply only the trailer brakes ... both to check them out and to warm them up. I leave the boost set at 1 until I am out on the highway then bump it up to level 2 with the gain at 7. Something close to this procedure and these settings seem to work well for most of the people I know. I have no idea whether this addresses your problem but thought I would pass it along.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
ED,
Congrats on your new wheel estate. As you can see from our signature we think you have chosen well. We are towing with a different vehicle, but our unit rides very smoothly with no jerking or tugging. As a matter of fact our 3475RL tows much smoother than our previous 2003 - 3295RK. Think others are right in saying it may need an adjustment in your brake controller. Good luck. Keep posting and share all your adventures with us.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Thanks all for the sugestions.
ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
congratulations on the new Monty. have fun and live by two rules.
1: Don't sweat the small stuff
2: Everything is small stuff
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote