Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Montana_3313

M.O.C. #3313
15 K for a 3400

Howdy,

We've been in the "investigative" stage of selecting our first RV for about a year now. The 3400RL is on the short list. We will probably take some summer vacation to tour the factories of as many of the "short list" fivers as we can and then pull the trigger sometime in the late summer.

As I think about the options I'm not sure about the a/c. I'm pretty convinced the standard 13.5 will be marginal in hot, full sun exposure, mid-summer weather. What I'm wondering is if the 15K will be sufficient. Or should I spring for the dual 13.5's.

What say the 3400 owners? Do those who have the 15K wish they would have ordered the dual 13.5's? I'm a little leery of the increased height with the dual a/c's.

Montana_3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Check out this thread from the "Improvments" section.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~13124.asp
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Welcome to the forum, Hugh! I believe that the choices are a single main 15K (ducted), or a main 15K (ducted) with an optional 13.5K (non-ducted) in the bedroom. Some have gone with the A/C prep option, and then gone out and bought their own low profile, or quieter, A/C themselves for the 2nd front A/C.

We are ordering a 3400 shortly and we have been convinced that will need the 2nd A/C installed at the factory. There was a discussion a week or so ago (you can do a search on the link at the top of this page), and it became apparent from several posts that if the ambient outside temp exceeds too much over 85 degrees, the single A/C in a 3400 (~400 sq ft of living space). will start to struggle to keep up.

We plan on fulltiming in our Monty, and I am not a "hot weather" person. In N. Mich last summer we endured several weeks of 90+ weather, with 90% humidity (thanks to Lake Michigan). That was in Northern Michigan! I'm really don't want to pull my rig to the Arctic Circle during the summer months to stay withing my comfort range. So... it's a 2nd A/C out of the factory for us.

If this was just going to be a "weekender" for us, it probably would have been a different story... maybe.

*On Edit~ Thanks, Sweetfire. That's the thread I was talking about. I forgot to hit the post button for a bit then saw you posted while I was sitting. Thanks.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the 15k btu main a/c in the living room and will be buying another 15k btu Dometic Low-pro tomorrow at the local rv show. If they are on special will pick it up tomorrow if not, in April when I bring the coach out of the garage. I have found that in temps over 85-90 degrees one a/c is not enough to keep my 3400RL cool. It would be my opinion to purchase the additional a/c if you can do it, will be well worth it in the hotter climates.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I believe this another of those personal choice, personal comfort zone decisions. We have the 3400 and it is wired for the 2nd AC but we have not considered buying one. We lived in it in 90+ temperatures (no humidity) and was not uncomfortable. We do use fans when it is warm. We are in an area in California that gets very hot in the summer so we are use to warm temperatures and that may make a difference. Also this area does not have the humidity that the midwest and east has. When we fulltime we plan to not be anywhere where a 2nd AC would be needed. Just our humble opinion.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You are right about the personal preference, Sue. I have read some posts, where some MOCers were comfortable if the temp in the coach was kept at 82 degrees in the summer. That wouldn't work for me. But it does for others.

I lived in Liberal, KS, as an oilfield engineer for 3 yrs. The first summer I was out running around in that high plains/desert area (1980), they set a record for 100 straight days of 100+ temps (I know there are areas of the US where that is common). It was dry heat, though, and I really had no problem being outside (for short bursts) in that environment. Then, after spending weeks out in 110+ degree temps, I went back to N. MI for a three week vacation in July, where it was 89 degrees with 90% humidity, and I thought I was going to pass out.

It's an interesting feeling when you go to take a breath outside and you can feel the water coming into your lungs. There are others that live around the country in places like that - you know what I mean.

Since our 80% of our family (and 100% of our grandkids) live in N. MI, that is where we will be spending our summers - similar to Steve R's situation - as well as other MOCers, too, I'm sure. So it's the 2 A/Cs for me.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
After spending some time in Waukegan, Illinois this past summer when the temp hit 102F we almost died. One a/c didn't cut it. So as soon as possible we added a 2nd a/c. A 13.5 non-ducted. It made a big difference and was worth every penny.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Hugh,
My last unit was a thirty foot Couger from Keystone with one ducted a/c (13.5). After three months in Lake Havasu Arizona I was dreaming about MORE COOL
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:27 AM   #9
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Hugh,

Our coach is almost the same floor plan as the 3400. We have the 15K ducted and in the hot humid months of the Great Lakes region, it does just fine.

However, my intentions are that some day, Gail and I will find out if that is enough by taking this unit to RGV and to AZ. But, for now it does the job nicely.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are orering the 3400 next Month and have decided to go with the additionl 13.5 A/C.. It is one of those comfort issues.If you need it and don't have it you are hurting.If you have it and don't need it, don't turn it on. We spent a week in the outer banks last summer in our TT and nearly expired due to the humidity.The A/c could not keep up. If the 2nd A/c is within your budget I say go for it. We gave up the generator prep for the 2nd A/C.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's fine to plan to not be in hot weather in the summer and cold in the winter, but that doesn't work for everyone. At least not for us. It would mean not spending the winter holidays with our kids and grandkids. That would not be acceptable to us. Until one of them moves to warmer winter climes we will continue to deal with the cold in November and December. And the heat and humidity in June and part of July so we can be there for the birthday of our two-year old granddaughter. That is far more important to us than the weather. Inbetween those priorities we do tend towards warmer winter weather and cooloer summer weather when our travel plans allow.

Another thing important to us is we are using our fulltiming years to see as much of this country as possible. That is a high priority for us even though it sometimes means being in less than ideal weather. For example, we spent August 15 to September 15 this past year in Island Park, ID, next to Yellowstone National Park. We got snowed on in August(one day) in the rv park. We got sleeted and snowed on (one day) in the NP in September. Admittedly the rest of the time the weather was beautiful, albeit a bit cool. Sweaters and light jackets took care of that. And we didn't have the big crowds and we truly enjoyed the National Park.

So, I guess once again it comes down to whatever works for the individuals.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 AM   #12
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Steve,

Don't you just love our Idaho weather? We got 4 inches of snow on the 4th of July in Yellowstone one year. The joke here is; Don't like the weather? Just wait a second it will change.

We will be getting the second AC this spring. If for no other reasons than better temp control (one end of trailer freezing the other end hot) and that two AC's will not have to work as hard as one.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:09 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, just remembered... were you going to check on a price of getting a heat strip put in the 2nd A/C out of the factory? I know Montanasky was talking about adding one after market, or something like that. I don't know if it's possible to order out of the plant with one, and how much it may cost, if they do.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:22 AM   #14
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Man - what a disappointment !!! From the subject title I thought someone had found a 3400 for $ 15k !!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:33 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Steve
I agree we won't always be able to have ideal weather. Our children and soon our grandchildren are spread out now and we are getting use to not being able to share holidays. We now have only 2 July birthdays (there use to be 4 but one is in Bay Area and one in Florida) left in the hot area. One plans to move to Washington and one is going to be a big rock star and will be traveling the world doing concerts (he is 15)!
BTW Dave I don't think Liberal Kansas is desert.
Happy trails...................
Old 01-19-2006, 06:04 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Rich, just remembered... were you going to check on a price of getting a heat strip put in the 2nd A/C out of the factory? I know Montanasky was talking about adding one after market, or something like that. I don't know if it's possible to order out of the plant with one, and how much it may cost, if they do.
Dave..Put that on your list of questions for the RV show.I would like to have that information...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:19 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You're right, Sue. SW Kansas is not technically a "desert", although there are sand dunes, and it is a very arrid region, generally. It is "High Plains Prarrie" and no trees. No rivers, no lakes (basically no water), only some extinct river beds with a few small trees by them. So flat you can see until the Earth curves away from sight - about 30 miles or so. We had to travel 40 miles east to have the kids wade knee-deep in muddy water of the small Meade Reservoir for any water recreation. The Arkansas River flows out of Colo and disappears shortly after hitting the Kansas border. It reappears later in OK. Used to flow all the way, until irrigation became widespread several decades ago.

After three years, I went back to Michigan to start my own business. I drove over to Grand Traverse Bay in Traverse City - where I grew up - and waded into the water (that no one was fighting over) and said out loud, "I will never take this abundant supply of fresh water for granted - EVER again!" Did you know that there are places in the world where you can actually take a bucket and dip clean water out of a lake without someone screaming at you (and threatening a law suit) that that's THEIR water, and you haven't paid for it???

Anyway... oh yeah, 2nd A/Cs. If you are not a "hot weather person" (I do like warm weather), get the 2nd A/C.

(*Moderator - delete if you think this is inappropriate)
Old 01-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave
I was born in SE Kansas and have traveled through the SW area many times on our trips back and forth from California to Kansas to see family. We live on the edge of the Calif. desert, I've worked in the Palm Springs area as well as the high desert area near Lancaster in California. It just amused me that you called SE Kansas desert. Plains, yes, but nothing like our California or the Arizona or Nevada deserts.
Happy trails..............
Old 01-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Your right, Sue. It is a prarrie (desert to me - everything's relative). Granted it is arrid, hot, sparse ground cover, cactus, and no ground water. I've been in the Nevada desert area. Everything as above - with less ground cover. The western deserts are beautiful. Both places too hot for only one A/C - even in passing.

As I say, I vote for 2 A/Cs
Old 01-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kansas does have a wide variety of terrain. SW and even most of the West part of the state is much drier and flatter (for the most part) than the eastern 1/3 of the state. The east is rolling hills and much less arid.

For those thinking of going with a second AC, if you need it then by all means get it. If you are thinking of getting it "just in case", then be aware that some RV Parks will charge you a higher site rate simply because you have two AC units. We have been asked if we have two and told if we did we'd pay a higher rate even if we did not intend ot use two -- or even one AC. Just another factor to consider.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote