Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 AM   #1
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Satellite TV

I was reading in Trailer Life that some people are very unhappy with the Satellite systems they've purchased for their RV's. I have sat. TV and sat. internet service at home with Direcway. I have several questions about RV systems and operations;

1. Is set up difficult once you arrive at your destination?
2. Does it require special tools? If so, are they expensive?
3. Which systems are RV'ers out there using and are they happy with them?
4. Are the systems that automatically track satellites worth the higer costs.
5. Is installation complicated or costly?
6. Are there better services (RV Friendly) out there other than Direcway or Direct TV?
7. Would a portable sat. dish mounted on a tripod be more versatile than a roof mounted antenna?

I have more questions, but this already looks like too many.

Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:54 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't have direcway but someone here does..We do have directTV have been using it for the Rv for years. We just take the receiver from the family room. Have a dish on a tripod with 100ft of RG 6 so we can move it around for a clear signal. Takes maybe 5 mins to set it up.Hardest part is making sure the dish is level.We know the az and elevation, point it in that direction and 95 % of the time the signal is there. My personal opinion would not pay for anything more...fine if you want to
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I have visions of pulling into a site and finding a 200 ft. Douglas Fir between a roof dish and the satellite.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:24 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

I have visions of pulling into a site and finding a 200 Douglas Fir between me and a roof dish.
Your vision will become reality...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:45 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dennis
Do a search on DirecWay and you will find a lot of discussion has been made on this subject. And also on DirecTV. We use our DirecTV much like Rich does and we notice in campgrounds that is how most people use them. DirecWay is a little different but we have several members who do set theirs up when parked for a while. We have it but haven't traveled with it yet. But we will when we start fulltiming. We still have to buy all the stuff so it is mobile.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We purchased a directv systen (not attached to coach) and so far it's performing just great. When we travel to San Antonio later this week I will give an update on how easy/difficult it was to set up. Merry Christmas.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Dennis , We use direct TV and recomend the dish on a tripod with 50 or more ft. of RG6 cable,as far as I'm concerned a satilite meter is a must!!! $30 at radio shack,tells you when your on the satalite. Its called a "wife-saver" with this device you can usually set up in 5-9 minutes. also nice to have a compass and a small level to make sure you are perpendicular,they give you the azmuth and elevation----Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:43 AM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
quote:
Originally posted by Sweetfire

I have visions of pulling into a site and finding a 200 Douglas Fir between me and a roof dish.
__________________________________________________ ______
We have used Dish network with tripod and now with roof mounted satellite finder. In both cases I have found campsites where getting a satellite in was difficult. Sometimes with the tripod I needed a lot more elevation. Sometinmes with the roof mount I have had a tree just where it blocked the satellite. All in all, however, I like the automatic system. The only caveat is the coach needs to be very well leveled using the system I purchased. A few bucks more gets a gimbaled self leveling system.

Now that I am used to the system, it is really nice to just turn the system on and let it find the satellites while I go about sewer and water hookups. It is a rare day when it doesn't lock in by the time I am done with the other chores.

I continue to watch this thread as it seems direct way is getting cheap enough to consider dumping my DSL at the stick house and investing in a direct way for year round use.

Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:15 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have DirecTV. My dish is mounted on a 24" piece of 2x6. I drilled 4 holes, one in each corner with which I nail it down with tent nails. I never worry about being level or perpendicular. I do use the sensitivity meter sold at Radio Shack for fine tuning. I usually set up the dish roughly with one nail in a front corner of the 2x6. I don't use a compass because after years of setting it up I have a general idea which way to point the dish. With the sensitivity meter in the line, I rotate the dish one way or the other to get maximum signal on the meter. I then adjust the dish up or down for maximum signal. If by chance the system signal increases by tipping the dish to one side or the other slightly, I just slide a stone under the edge of the 2x6 that gives me the best signal. Before I start all the fine tuning, I usually go in and check the TV before finally nailing the dish down.

Works for me.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
How do you secure it if there is no dirt or ground? Like totally concrete or pavement.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

How do you secure it if there is no dirt or ground? Like totally concrete or pavement.
I use a HILTI Gun on mine, then when I want to move I grind off the tops of the nail.
Not realy a piece of wood with screws holding the tripod and about 3 or 4 , 1 gal water bottles full of water placed on the wood platform, or if you like carring extra weight two bags of lead shot works good too.

TT2
Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
You might want to investigate this link. I saw a link to the Bulleye dish mount last spring on another forum, followed it, and then bought it. When we finally work all of the bugs out on satellite, we will be using it. I have heard nothing but good comments about it.

www.rvdishmount.com/
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I have the direct tv dish and have used it for years with no problems.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Most of the time I set a cement block on it or my gas can that I carry gas in for my generator. There are times when I have also clamped it to a picnic table.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #15
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Sweetfire,
Have had Direct TV for years. I like it very much. I have had a friend weld me cross bars of 1 in. square materials and then we mounted the dish on this. If you are not in a hurry to put this together I can show you when we get together this spring. If you would like a picture of it sooner I can send it to you. By using this style I can move it where I want get a clear shot of the southern sky. I carry several different lengths of RG6 cable. I also have Sprint for my cell phone and I have unlimited internet useage, so as long as I have cell service I have internet, I also have unlimited roaming which helps.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:45 PM   #16
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Paul.
I'm in no hurry. I'm just trying to get everything together in the next 12 months before I re-retire (I've already retired once). I looked at "Wordsmith's" link and that look pretty interesting too.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Sweetfire, I will add that the Bullseye is built VERY sturdily. It has some true heft to it!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 AM   #18
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have both Direct TV and DirecWay. WE have a crank up dish on the coach with an digital angle inclinometer on it. We mount the INTERNET dish on a surveyors tripod. For those FEW times we are blocked by trees we carry another TV dish that is mounted on the leg of the tripod. You can get an arm to mount the TV LNB on the Internet Dish also. Both systems work well.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #19
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We have a kingdome tracker on our coach and have Direct TV. We do like it but would advise anyone interested in getting one to also get the portable dish for those campgrounds with lots of trees or other obstructions. Also, sometimes it can take 30-40 minutes for the kingdome to find the satelite......Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #20
Montana_35
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #35
I use a mount I bought from http://www.rvdishmount.com/ also. I have no connection with this guy but I love his dish mount system and his service was great. Check him out if you want a all around system.
Montana_35 is offline   Reply With Quote