Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Here We Go Again

OK folks, looks like one hurricane on the Gulf Coast was not enough. Still a ways away, but forecasters in this area saying that Rita most likely will hit the Texas Gulf Coast sometime Saturday morning in the Galveston-Port Lavaca area as Cat. 3, possible Cat 4. Galveston Island officials today announced a voluntary evacuation starting tomorrow at 2PM.

Have not heard about refineries on the Houston Ship Channel but chemical plants and refineries in this area are to start shutting down sometime Wednesday if not sooner. Crude oil market was up today $4.39, Shell and Chevron already started shutting down off shore production and soon as the fuel market supply start to dry up the price of gasoline and diesel will be on the way up again.

As far as we are concerned, have reservations at a state park about 150 miles inland, hope this will be far enough to escape most of the wind and rain. If need be, we might have to move as far as Dallas or Ft. Worth.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
What ever the case, take cover and stay safe.........
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Save travels, Charlie. We have been watching "her" on TV. Hope all works out for you.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:39 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Keep your head down Charlie. Hope you ride her out ok.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:42 AM   #5
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Be safe charlie. I would leave now so as to get a spot. They will fill up fast with evacuies. We sure don,t need this in la. right now.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:41 AM   #6
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Charlie,
Last year we got hit by several storms and evacuated for 2 of them. Jean seemed to follow us to GA. It was a Tropical Storm when it got to where we had evacuated to. I am telling you 150 miles inland may not be far enough out of the way. We wound up having to call a tow truck do to the GA clay's attraction to my truck and trailer. The night it came through the campground, as a TS, which was more than 32 hours after first hitting the Florida coast was just a treat. It rained and rained and then rained some more. The wind was up and blew down a lot of tree branches on to trailers staying in the park. We were lucky, none on ours. Several trees were down due to some small twister that came through during the night. It was so much fun – NOT!

Be safe. If you can get further away you should try.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:59 AM   #7
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Be careful Charlie!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, did you folks have any damage from Katrina? Y'all take care down there and stay safe.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:06 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Prayers going out, hope ya all get through this one!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Steve-
We did not get any damage from Katrina but Rita looks we are gonna have to bite the bullet. It has been 22 years since we have had a major hurricane here so we are past due. Local forecasters predicting landfall less than 50 miles from where we live. We hope and pray the damage from this one does not compare to Katrina but with 135 MPH predicted wind at landfall it will tear up some things.

We have for the most part got the Monty loaded and hope to pull out of here about 9AM tomorrow. Voluntary evacuations are under way and a mandatory is supposed to go out at 6PM tomorrow for Brazoria County. Galveston County may happen before then. We have relatives that live near Ft. Worth and we should be in there by tomorrow night. Not sure when we will get back online but will make a post when things calm down.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Stay safe and prayers are with you.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Charlie, I'm glad you're moving inland. Our house in Alabama is 150 miles from the coast and we still had sustained winds for 8 - 10 hours that blew down trees and blew stuff around. A fifth wheel would not be the best cover in a storm. Safe travels.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Hope you are on your way right now. The path is predicted to turn straight up to Dallas into Oklahoma. Here in North Texas they say we should get some 70+ mph winds with rain by Sunday.
I have my daughter coming up from Houston to stay with me. Guess I'll get the Monty ready for extra beds.

Good Luck to all of us.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Prayers for all of you, don't know bout you, but feel like it is a reoccuring nightmare! We are hoping for the best for all of you!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #15
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
You folks down there on the Gulf Coast are sure getting hammered this year! Hope everyone stays safe and if you can get out of the way of these hurricanes then by all means do so!

We'll be watching things develop here and hoping that this one spares the major metroplitan areas (I wouldn't mind it if it turned way south and gave Mexico a taste - as a Cat 1 or so...I don't want them hurt either!)

If Katrina didn't hurt enough...Rita is really gonna make the heating oil/gasoline/diesel fuel prices skyrocket! Oh Brother!
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, I just emailed you before seeing the latest in this thread. I'm glad to hear you folks are getting out of the way. I saw a CNN film of the traffic trying to get out and hope you folks got out ahead of that. From your description, you might be going to Bastrop State Park? See you there in January!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #17
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
My prayers are with all those people there. Hope everyone can get out to a safe place.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #18
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
We are home and everything is OK here, no damage and very little rain. We did make it out before the massive grid-lock on the Texas highways leaving the coast, too many people and not enough roads. Thanks to all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. Hope we don't have to do this again anytime soon.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:29 AM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I was wondering if you got caught in that terrible traffic, Charlie. You were wise to leave early. We thankful that you can out unscathed.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote