Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
Montana_4561
Established Member

M.O.C. #4561
A/C in Kitchen

Last Saturday we went to the RV show at Hershey Park, PA. We still like year of 2005 Montana - floor model -- 3500RL. I was disappointed there is no Montana representive that we would like to ask question so I thought I would ask you for a help. I have seen most of Montana fifthwheel A/C is at the back where the living room area. I was wondering if I can request them to install A/C in Kitchen area? I do not wish to add the other A/C for the bedroom. It makes sense to have the A/C in kitchen and it will distribute cool air equal in both side - Living room and Bedroom. I would suppose A/C manufacturer is Domestic brand or is it Coleman? Do you have your A/C in your kitchen? Thank you.

Montana_4561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
I have a 3650rk with two a/c's. One in the kitchen and one in the bedroom.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
rock2,
They do not put the a/c in the kitchen for the main reason of it raises the overall height of the coach. By having it in the rear you are able to keep a lower profile on the coach. I am going to have the 15,000btu lowpro added into my bedroom next year. The a/c in my 3400RL is over the living room and for the most part has done a pretty good job. When the temps get into the high 80's to 100+ degree it does seem to struggle. I close the vent on the a/c to force all the air through the duct work instead of "dumping" into the living room. Helps keep the overall temps even throughout the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:56 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
They had the A/C in the front room for a while, those of us with the low profile, or rather, those of us that HAD the low profile, can tell you:

The low profile in the front room, due to the slope of the roof, had problems with leaking into the unit all over the carpet. There were several fixes, one was a retrofited drip pan, the other was replacement.

That said, we do like the placement mid coach of the A/C.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:59 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Plus remember, these A/C are supposed to be vented, to deliver air more equally in the unit. Works pretty good when we remember what we had in the old TT!
Old 09-19-2005, 05:25 AM   #6
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Country Guy - What do you mean when you say vented?
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:30 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
vents and ducts run through the ceiling, should be small round vent covers on the ceiling, I believe we have 2 in the bedroom of our coach and we have 2 more in the living area (not out there now, and the slides are in cause of possible severe storms this afternoon, so I cannot count the living area ones.

Our old TT had the A/C unit, all cold air blew right out of the unit, no ceiling ducts or vents. Whew, you could get really chilled sitting right under it, and the bedroom was always quite a bit warmer, cause the cold air coming out of the A/C unit hit walls and door ways that were between the A/C unit and the bedroom.

Maybe Vents are not the correct term???? you know these ole brain cells! HA HA
Old 09-19-2005, 06:11 AM   #8
Montana_4561
Established Member

M.O.C. #4561
Countryguy I have a question for you about the a/c in kitchen. I beleive there are two vents in Living room, kitchen and bedroom. At the RV show I did some of experiment. I closed vent one each area and cold air should deliver far enough to reach bedroom but it is still weak even if the fan blower is in high position. You know in bedroom is at front and tends to get hot. Hot air rise high and cold air is heavy.
Montana_4561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:07 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
rock2

Not sure what your question is, but do you happen to remember if the A/C unit you were looking at had something called "Quick Cool"?? That is an adjustment you can make ON the unit, one way is what is considered to be normal operation, the other position is for when you need a BLAST in the living area, like when you arrive at camp and it is hotter than hades. Now, Al usually does any adjustments, but I would have to say that if the unit is in the quick cool position that we don't get near the amount of air in the bedroom as we do if the unit is in normal operating position. Is it possible that the unit you were looking at was in Quick Cool position??

We only have one air unit, we were in Iowa this summer when the heat was 95 and up and heat indexes of 105 and up. We did OK with one A/C, the bedroom was comfy too. This is where we feel the Artic Insulation package helps us, we feel the insulation plus the "AI" help us to cool the unit. Now, I ain't a gonna tell you that we got that unit down to 70 degrees on those 95 degree days. But, we did get it down to around 75/78. We run the ceiling fan to help distribute the air even more. We were quite comfy and when we went outside our glasses steamed up!

Hope I answered your question!