Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2005, 05:40 AM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Cheryl and I have been looking for over two years at rvs. We looked almost exclusively at class A motorhomes. We, for some odd reason, rejected out of hand even LOOKING inside a 5ver. We finally went over to a dealership this summer and looked through a 5th wheel. What a shock! I couldn't believe the layout, room, and amentites that you could get in a 5ver! We immediately changed our focus and when we walked into a Montana later in the summer, my wife fell in love and I was greatly impressed. Even if all things were equal (price, maintenance costs, fuel costs, setup time, etc), I would not want anything now except a fifth wheel.

Whether I have a MH, TT or a 5ver... I still have to use my rubber gloves!!!

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:54 AM   #22
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
The one thing that I have noticed with our FCRV organization is that we have all types of campers from tents to class A. Everyone gets along very well. That is the reason we love this org.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:19 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We go along with ronstan on that..never observed any class distinction in that organization and since you may be parked hobo style or by state you may well be parked next to a $400,000 motor home or a pup-tent.We have no memory of any camper turning their nose up at us because of what we camped in.We were once nearly in the middle of a Airstream rally with our 24 foot Coachman..they were the nicest group.I am sure it happens tho...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #24
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We started with a used popup in 78, then a travel trailer, a 26' fifth wheel, Pace Arrow class A, and now Montana. We bought the PA on a private sale and I got a great deal on it. We did love it and put 4200 miles on it that summer without a bit of trouble. It got respectable milage. It was a low milage unit and it was great to drive. It was a 94 model 34'. It didnt have slides. We went to a RV show and the dealer offered us a terrific deal and I knew Montana's were good so we struck a deal. The MH had nice advantages. Jo could prepare lunch on the go, and when she drove, I found an annoying little squeak and fixed that.
There does seem to be some class discrimination between RV types and even between brands of the same types; ie: TT to TT or 5r to 5r. I look at it this way. That person spent his money to get what he wanted. He likely is happy with it or he wouldn't have bought it. If he thinks less of me for doing the same, well, this is mixed company and I won't use any oilfield language. You get my drift. Those people are everywhere in all walks of life. I think they are probably really lonely too. Sad actually. Travel safe.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Have any of you ever had the feeling that at some time another 5ver owner may have looked down on your Montana?? I feel it is a terrific mid level 5ver! I can't beleive anyone would dare make a negative remark towards one of us.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:51 AM   #26
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Over the years (from a 2 man Mt Marcy tent to the Montana) we have always found that it is not the quality of the rig but the quality of the folks IN the rig that counts!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:56 AM   #27
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
Bowie, AHMENNNNN!!!!
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:02 AM   #28
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Even if you have a class A you still have to tow something to get around when at a campground. There are more affordable class A's than $400K. But they are still less bang for the buck.

When we are camping. I still admire the class A's my sister has one.
And we are more than happy to show the Monty off to whomever wants to see it.
Its more about the people than what they choose to camp in.

Bring those slideouts in and try to manuever around inside while traveling down the road and its pretty tight. I look at the turning radius and other hassles they have had. (can't backup towing car 4 down).

Granted its nice to be able to auto level. But that is an upgrade anyone can add to their 5er for a price.

I'll still take the Monty over a class A.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #29
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
As Bowie said Its the class of the people not the class of the RV! I had an older Class A motor home for many years (1974 Rollalong) and it worked for what we needed. Sometimes it set for a year at a time before we needed it. As with anything that sits it required more work and repair to make it road ready and the outside was begining to look OLD and outdated. When we parked next to a bright new RV I am sure there were raised eyebrows. Anyway this Montana is a palace compaired to our Class A. When we camp I always try to make friends with our neighbors no matter what they drive or tow. Most neighbors are friendly and willing to visit etc but some just hide inside and peek out. I figure they want their privacy and that is ok also. Class distinction? Only if I let it and I just don't go there!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:14 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I wanted a class A this time out..I am not getting any younger and to me the "A" was easier to deal with.It would have been a lot more $ than the Tv and Montana.Everything is at the push of a button..or flip of a switch in the "A".Pull or flip a switch and it is leveled, etc.Still would have to pull a car but that's no big deal..I drive a tour bus anyhow so driving one was no big deal..However in our 'Homework" we realized that cost vs benefits a 'Quality" Fifth wheel (Montana)..hummmm was a better bang for our buck that the "A" therefore we choose the 3670. Also Helen is real handy in setting up and taking down the RV..She can do the whole thing without help and has done so many times.We are curious about the floor plan of the new 3380. We know we will not regret the fifth wheel choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote