Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Long timing

Someone on the forum used that term and we like it.We are off on our longest trip ever in a RV. We will be on the road for @ 33 days.We are running through our pre trip checklist now.Helen is loading up the camper, outside checks are complete. We head toward Wv for the FCRV international in caravan with other units. we have 6 days to get there so stops along the way. Don't know where.One of our members has the schedule..we call it mystery camping because it is a mystery as to where we are going.About a week there then to the outer banks for awhile then somewhere else maybe.I am loading up the Garman GPS-18 for the trip..Hope it knows where it is going.We will be checking out the New Truck, the Garman GPS, wifi along the way,and how we fare after 33 days on the road.Helen is the relief driver, navigator and computer operator.Will check into the forum from time to time to check the wifi operation....

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:14 AM   #2
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
Lot's of Luck,
We've been doing abt the same thing. I'm trying to convince my S.O. to full time but...........
It's an educational experience and we love it.
We live in Fl. but are on Long Island now, leaving for Ga on the 5th. Happy Trails to you!
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich,

You guys have a great trip! You are headed to some of my favorite places! Specially the Outer Banks!

Have a safe ride!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Have fun and enjoy. We will be looking for your posts.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:06 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sounds like a great trip. Have a great time and keep us posted.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:20 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Have a wonderful trip, Rich. We love the Outer Banks, too. Mystery camping sounds like a lot of fun. Drive safe.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:32 AM   #7
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Always wanted to be a "Longtimer" at something other than working for the same Company. I think I'm going to begin calling Jo and I "Longtimers". It fits us really well.

Have a great trip!
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we are on the road and doing OK. Fuel prices are ridiculous.We are on a v e r y s l o w m o d e m as our WiFi card stopped working.Got a new one at best buy and will install it tonight,Doubt if the fairgrounds in Lewisburg Wv were the campvention is will have wifi or any other kind of internet but we know that Camp Hatteras has free wifi. The garman GPS-18 works great..Helen says another case of technology putting a human (her) out of work....
Old 07-05-2005, 03:52 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are "borrowing" Wifi from a truck stop near Cincinnati.(actually KY) The wifi in Helen's HP stopped working so we had to get a new card.Linksys 802.11G..had a little trouble setting it up on XP but It now works fine. Spent some time in Amish country in Southern Ohio then on to Cincinnati south KOA which is not in Cincinnati or Ohio but KY.We will be heading to Lake Stephens Campground near Beckly. Wv and coil up there to await the rest of our FCRV convoy then on to Lewisburg, WV for the campvention, Should arrive Friday AM. Things we are checking out. Availability of WiFi along the road. Full timing and long timing issues..the cost of fuel, gas or diesel is costly amd may only get worse. We are checking the cost of weekly and monthly rates at campgrounds, these are also very costly.We will NOT lower our quality of life by staying at campgrounds that do not meet our standards. So far the average monthly rate for two folks is @ 400.00 per month, seasonal rates @ 1000.00 April to Sept.We understand the rates in FLA for the winter are NOT cheap. Just collecting data..The GPS is great..Just like Air traffic control( which Helen is) Helen just entered the flight plan and our course to Lewisburg is routed.When we need a truck stop or resturant she asks for the "nearest place" and gives me a heading. Great fun....
Old 07-05-2005, 06:53 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sounds like a nice trip, Rich and Helen. Beckley is one of our favorite areas to visit. Hope you're having an enjoyable time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
richfaa,
I think I'm the one who first used the term "longtiming" on this site. It's something that we are looking forward to doing as soon as we retire. We just got back from Prescott AZ for the long weekend; got to see the "World's Oldest Rodeo", see friends, and take another look at the property we hope to buy later this year for our retirement home. We talk constantly about being able to do what you're doing, go out for a month or more, come home for a while, and head out in a different direction. Spend lots of time on the road, but still have the home base. Good Luck and Have Fun!!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:33 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are 1086 miles into our first long timing trip.Got into the outer banks yesterday and finally got some good wifi. really nice here..heading for the cape today.The Garman GPS 18 is great.Helen loves it and has become an expert..will be on the road till the end of the month.Helen says she could do this with no problem. Run into several Montanas and interview the owners when possible.They are in general very satisfied with their units.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The outer banks are the perfect vacation trip. Not over crowded, miles and miles of un spoiled un crowded beach. plenty of vacancies here, I think the economy is taking its toll.I forget who on the forum said this was their favorite place..we can see why.The new truck is great..thank god for tow command in Wv and VA on 77 and 64. I am sure the fuel bills will be a throat clutcher. Oh well..we are having fun.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:59 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Camp Hatteras campground is very nice but very pricey, There is a KOA next door and another campground next to that all with full hooks. The price here is worth it IF you use all the facilities..if you just need full hooks and a nice beach the others are a better buy ( they all are on the same beach, seaside)If we come again would stay at one of the others because of the price. Some Federal camprounds on the banks..20.00 for a site and nothing else..not our cup of tea... one of the best trips ever...if you get a chance do not miss the outer banks...
Old 07-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Your posts sure make me lonesome for the Outer Banks. Glad you're having a good trip. It's a beautiful area.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sounds like you are having a great time, Rich. Keep telling us about it as you go along.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:10 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had a small problem with the Terry..The first ever and its 10 years old.Started to get trailer disconnects on The TBC although everything seemed to be working..Got underneath the camper and found a wire to the front left wheel brake had broken off. repaired same and all is normal.The TBC picked up the problem..the one we had in the last truck would NOT have seen the problem.The TBC is a good thing. Our adventure is drawing to a close, Helen has to get back to work next week. 1456 miles so far... after nearly a month in this camper Helen says ..we need that 3295 now... Going to Goshen first week in Aug..We need to have a little talk with Montana.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #18
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Rich,
sounds like you're having a great time, am very envious. You've got the TV, now go after the Montana!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:43 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Leaving Rodanthe OBX today..Heading toward the Washington Dc area to visit family and friends.Note that a tropical storm is forming that is projected to be heading this way..time to get out of Dodge..Helen went to the ocean this Am and recorded waves sound to last her through the winter...Now we live 9 miles from Lake erie..it has waves also...go figure.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Disaster near Hagerstown, Va.Heard a thump and the trailer lurched on I-70 near Exit 24..Broke the middle two leaf springs on the front left wheel. Only had the small top and the long bottom that holds it all together left. Called the Hagerstown KOA and explained our plight, they said come on in, it was only @ two miles or so off the exit.When we got there a man was waiting in a Golf cart, he looked under the camper and said he did not know how we made it to the campground.Got us into a pull through site and when I braked the truck to stop the long leaf spring snapped like a guitar string and the camper fell to the axel on that side. The Golf cart guy Leroy) happened to be a mechanic and said no problem we can fix that right here. He had the broken spring on the ground in 20 mins. he called ahead the next morning and got a new spring for us , had it on the camper in 1/2 hour and ready to go. At no time did he mention money. The spring and all new hardware cost 33.72 from Trailer Enterprises in Hagerstown, Va. Labor cost at our local Rv shop is 50.00 per hour so I gave Leroy 100.00 cash and he thought that was to much. I thought it was to little and will send him another 100.00 when we get home.We were on our way to meet some of our vagabond camper friends at Breezwood Sat then on to Harris burgh and we did not miss a beat.Great luck and wonderfull folks at the KOA.Turns out they were full but FOUND a place for us anyhow. Oh.. turns out the springs had old breaks in both of them..I figure the Wright Brothers memorial bridge North bound was too much for the old breaks..worst ride I have ever had.No other damage to the camper and we are on the road.

d