Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Slide switch safety concern.

AS I just remarked in another post, when I get something new I get a little silly about some details.

My 06 2955RL has the slide switch just inside the door and it could easily be mistaken for a light switch and it is a very easy thing for a young child to play with.

I think I am going to put a disconnect swith inside the cupbourd door.
The wires for the slide switch are easy to get at and it would be easy to put a switch in there just to prevent accidental use of the slide switch by visitors, young and old.

Have any of you ever had a problem with the slide out switch being used accidently ? Thanks, Don.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We haven't had a problem, but our previous unit had a keyed switch to control the slides. Replacing the switch with a keyed switch may be an easier option.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Our switches are just inside the door also. Have not had problems so far, but then we don't have curious children in the Montana a lot either, and I would hope that responsible adult visitors wouldn't just be pressing buttons without asking.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:52 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

AS I just remarked in another post, when I get something new I get a little silly about some details.

My 06 2955RL has the slide switch just inside the door and it could easily be mistaken for a light switch and it is a very easy thing for a young child to play with.

I think I am going to put a disconnect swith inside the cupbourd door.
The wires for the slide switch are easy to get at and it would be easy to put a switch in there just to prevent accidental use of the slide switch by visitors, young and old.

Have any of you ever had a problem with the slide out switch being used accidently ? Thanks, Don.
Don, my young grandson caused some problems with our slide due to playing with it. Lippert helped us with the problem. I think your cut off switch is a good idea. Tiny fingers of the young must be watched lol
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Do a Search for that sort of topic, probably about a year or so ago. Saw several postings on it. Some folks installed a "flip-up" cover plate, which prevents accidental activation. Not much, however, can be done to defeat the attentions of a determined little grandkid..

I don't like the idea of messing with the wiring by installing a "safety" switch. Law of Unintended Consequences always seems to bit me at the most inappropriate times..maybe contact MIMF for some guidance on this subject...
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We have not had any problem with our switch being mounted there. In our previous unit the switch was in the same location. No problems there. I agree with Sunshine, however, it only takes once. If you come up with something SIMPLE and good. Let us know. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Accidental operation by an adult is not much of a concern because the switch is a "hold-on-to-operate" type. As soon as you release it, motion stops. Grandkids could be a different story. MIMF probably already has a solution.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have a 3295rk and the control is located near door as you enter the bathroom/bedroom area. Every now and then I'll touch the control when I am working the light switch but never really been a problem. NOW if and when our granddaughter starts traveling with us a cover and or a keyed switch would be nice! Just as a safety factor.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:12 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was part of that earlier conversation and shared the concern. I still think it's something Keystone should attend to. However, after a few early accidental hits on that switch it's not happened again. Not in well over 2 years. I guess we just got used to where everything is. But that might not happen for those who do not live in the Montana all the time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
in our 2005 - 3400 it is right next to the light switch. I glued a small piece of sand paper on the switch for the slides so at least it makes you think before you push it!
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wrenchtravler, I know what you mean when it's dark outside and doing, I the cant see the light switch thing when entering the tailer, thinking I have the light switch for the lights, WRONG I'm pushing in the slide switch. I solved this problem with a piece of paper and tape Post-it size, I tape the paper to the switch cover and cover the switch then when its dark I cant push the slide switch without feeling the paper. it helps in acidental movement.

TT2
Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #12
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I was also concerned about this problem. Here is what I wrote in December 2003 about this matter. I now have a digital camera so if you still need help I will take a photo of the finished product.

I purchased a cover: Red-Dot RCCV S3026
Single cover, vertical mount,silver & metal.
1. Remove 2 existing screws.
2. Cut away old switch cover (this will elimate having to disconnect and reconnect all those wires)
3.Leave the existing backing that says ON/OFF.
4. Make a minor adjustment for bottom screw

In our opinion this cover looks better than the orginal one.
Hope this helps someone else mount their cover with ease
12/03
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Our switches are next to each other also (lights and slides) but because they are different type of switches (large vs small) we don't seem to have any trouble. We do not have small children in our Monty as all our grandkids are teenagers and beyond.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Here is an idea. Maybe I'm way off base.

I have been thinking of installing a disconnect switch to the main power supply lead from the battery to the pump. When I get the rooms in or out, simply turn it off. Especially if they are going to be in either position for a while.

Might not be a bad idea especially while traveling. Disconnect the pump so that if some sort of electrical malfunction occures, the rooms won't go out as you are moving down the freeway at 65 miles an hour. Or the pump starts for some reason trying to bring the rooms in and burns up the motor. Are you going to hear it running or "dead-heading" from all the way up in the cab of your truck?

Only my two cents worth.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Dale: Which would you recommend....put the switch on the power side or the ground side??
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:23 AM   #16
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
PJ,

I think I would put it in the power side so the ground would stay all intact for all of the other 12 volt appliances in the coach to operate.

Does that make any sense? Somebody else chim in if there is a better way.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote