Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
First Impressions on 06 Montana 2955RL

Well I am happy to say this unit is far better made than any of the other 9 RVs I have owned in the last 30 years.
I am impressed with the little things like all the switch and electric plug covers being straight. Most of my other units these were all crooked and I had to go around and fix them.

Everything that is visible is extremely well made. All my door compartments are straight and true and all my cupbourd doors are very well done.

The only small thing I have found and it is no big deal ia a lot of wires that run under the cupbourd were attached to the cupbourd framing
with a sticky pad type of plastic bracket. These have come unglued and the wires are hanging down. It will be a simple thing to drill a hole in these brackets and use a small screw to attach them to the wood framework.

The PDI was well done except for one important item and that is the fact that when I picked up the unit I asked if the tires were all at 80 pounds PSI and was told , Yes Sir.

I had a tire guage with me and I meant to check them but with all the stuff to go over, I never did and I drove it 60 miles home at up to 70 MPH and when I checked the pressure at home the next day, I had 3 tires at 78 pounds and the front tire on the slide out side only had 18 pounds. I was surprized because the trailer handled so well and to look at the tire, it doesn't look much different than the one next to it. I fired up my compressor and filled the tire up to 80PSI.
That was 3 days ago, I just went out and checked it and it is down to 30 PSI so I have a slow leak of some kind. I am going to take the tire down and have it looked at. I have the aluminum wheels and my spare is a steel rim so I can get the spare put on the aluminum wheel if there is a problem with the tire. These units are towed out from Indiana by contract towing companies and that is about 1800 miles so that tire might have to be replaced under warranty. It looks fine except for the little rubber rods that all new tire have are rubbed off on the outside corners.

This is a good heads up for anybody picking up a new unit. Check the tire pressure before hauling the unit home.

One last word about these tires. They are made in China, but I have a Kipor Generator on order so I am not anti-Chinese but if I have any more issues with them, I will be putting Michelin LT 235 85 16s on.
Yes these are a 10 ply rating tire I have but I don't believe a TR tire is better than an LT. I believe trailers run heavy all the time and are overloaded to some degree but not the way LT tires are overloaded. I was a masonry contractor for 15 years and I overloaded my pickups with brick, blocks, and gravel. I never had an issue with tires on a pickup. My last 5th wheel had Trailer tires and steel strands were popping out at less than 30000 miles. Take care.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:20 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I also have a 2955rl and have enjoyed it this summer, pulled 4000 miles with little to go bad. Did need to replace two brake magnets and the converter. Now if I were you I'd get out the screw driver and look at all the cabinet doors, tape and foam all the holes, go around and tighten all the plumbing connection you can get to and do what you need to do to reach the others. Some have stated that the dealer will only give you a 30 day adjustment period. LQQK her over!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Wrenchtraveler,
Thank you for sharing your joy and your few problems. Looks like tire pressure needs to be added to the PDI list. I hope you continue to enjoy your unit. We have had no problems with ours other than the much talked about sound system and thermostat.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Wrenchtraveller,

I have heard that one of the problems found with the aluminum wheels were pin holes in the metal that actually allowed the air to slowly leak out, rather than a hole in the tire.

Also, we just took delivery on our new 3400 this past Saturday. The tires were 235/80R16E ST - trailer tires - with a load rating of 3510# at 80 PSI. Similar 235/85R16E tires, which are usually LT tires, have a load rating of 3042# at 80 PSI.

According to tire manufacturers, tire pressure should be set to the load, not necessarily at the max, which is 80# for both of the above tire sizes. This means that the ST tires should be run at a lower pressure since the max load they should see (assuming we do not overload the 6,000# axles) is 3,000# per tire. Although when I looked at the trailer outside label, it says to set the pressure at 80 PSI. Since this all seems a little confusing to me I have called Keystone, but as of yet do not have any answers.

You mentioned a tire warranty. Since there was absolutely zero information on the tires in the documentation I received, I haven't even yet even been able to determine if there is a tire warranty. What do you know on this topic?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Rick,

Let us know about the air preassure, I was told 80#'s as well so that's what I was going with.

Thanks,

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We also have a 2005.5 2955RL, sage green interior. We fell in love with it. Picked it up in May of this year. Over all it was a good build. The only issue we had was the dining room slider would stop several time on the in cycle. The dealer put two new 50 amp circuit breakers in parallel. This was recommended by on of our members MIMF who works at Lippert, the folks who build the sliders for Keystone. No more problems.
Two years ago we were sold on Sunnybrook, I thought they were the standard, but I know better know. The Montana is a fine unit, well built. I think with the loving care we give it it will welcome us into retirement in about 48 months!

Enjoy!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I don't think you can go wrong running a tire at maximum pressure and I read an article years ago that said if you were overloading a tire it was recomended to go 10 PSI over your max rating and I have put 90 PSI in my 10 ply truck tire when I was overloaded. The only negative thing about tires at high pressure is that your ride suffers a little. Most tire problems are caused by low pressure and the high heat this condition causes, we are all too familiar with the tire issue on the Ford Explorers where Ford recomended a lower PSI rating than the people that made the tire.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Wrenchtraveller,

According to a Goodyear article, tires most often fail due to road hazards, and according to that article, tires that carry more air pressure than the load would dictate are more rigid and more likely to fail during a road hazard condition.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Wrenchtraveller ...

Do you have a reason to prefer Michelins over other makers? I am considering replacement of the Tacomas that came with our 3400 with either Michelins or Goodyears (still debating on which of the three Goodyear options to choose). Thanks,

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote