Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Padding for lower edges of slides

This has probably been asked and answered in this forum before.

While staying in the Houston area over the weekend, I noticed another Montana with some sort of padding applied to the corners and lower edges of their slide rooms. Having bumped my head on the bedroom slide which is almost directly above the curb side cargo bay door and having several other close calls this weekend, I was intrigued.

Does anyone use anything like this? Maybe I saw one of the forum regulars!

one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Go to Walmart or a pool supply. They are called noodles. Get the ones with the hole through the middle. You cut them to the size you want and then around and then slice them long ways. Slip them on. They are great. We also put them on the kingpin. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Yep...those noodles save a lot of headaches
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:51 AM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We use the noodles on our awning leg as well. It prevents the front door from banging into the arm when the awning is out. This past weekend I was wishing I would have had some on the lower slidouts as well. I was kneeling down washing out a dutch oven with the outside shower and when I stood up I got the dining room slide right in the lower back. Left a nice scratch up my back that will be there to remind me of my mistake for a couple of days. But the noodles work great and are fairly cheap insurance for a cuncusion.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
If you put all these pads on it will take all the fun out of getting all the head wounds,and the stories that go with them.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
I never have been accused of being the brightest light bulb in the pack, but i dont remember it being fun when i had 7 staples put in the top of my head 2 weeks ago, I do think it made me a little brighter because it wont happen again!! haha
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:44 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
ouch! seven times.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:01 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I wouldn't know how to act without a few scabs on my head. I had a habit of crossing under the overhang to get from one side to the other and was constantly raising up too soon and running into the bedroom slide. I decided that since I wasn't smart enough to not do this maybe I should walk all the way aroung the front of the trailer.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:38 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I like the noodle idea but also have seen tennis balls slit and placed on the corners.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:46 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Speaking of the brightest bulb in the pack. I use the noodles on the bedroom slide and it has saved me on numerous occasions. However, recently I was getting ready to move and had started my routine picking up and stowing etc. I got to the noodle portion of the check list and removed them and stowed away. I was distracted and didn't move to the slide switch next as usual and somehow managed to come back around to the basement under the bedroom and WHAM, that hurt. Kinda dimmed my bulb you know?

And speaking of the hitch, I have managed to run into it a couple of times also. Mostly on my previous trailer since it was a tight fit between the hitch and the front storage. This Monty is much more inviting under the overhang and if I put my hand on the hitch every time I get near it I do pretty good. And now that I have the front tripod stabilizer it is much harder to get close enough to dim my bulb.

One other area that seems to come into contact with my 6'4" body is the overhead cabinet doors inside. Maybe I should use noodles in there? Or if I can get one of those protective helmets, I can run into anything and not have to worry about putting the noodles on.

Actually over the past 60 or so years I have managed to hit my head many times and it hasn't seemed to cause any permanent damage? Unless you consider memory loss, hair loss, loss of balance and those other things I can't do now that I used to be able to do when I was younger?

Lets see this was about noodles on the bedroom slide wasn't it? I think they work great and are very easy to use. Mine are bright yellow and actually add a nice touch to the decor? Even the wife appreciates them.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:27 AM   #11
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I've seen the noodles used in parks, but had never seen the tennis ball trick that STeve mentions... I haven't caved in my hed yet, but I know that I have a big enough dent in the top that I will never look good bald. I'm like farmer Don.. Probably should just skip right to wearing a helmet all the time! I wonder if they sell those noodles in colors that compliment the greens and Blues... Heck, probably better to get them in bright obnoxious colors so you notice them before you ram them.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
They come in all colors. We got the light blue. They run about $1.39 for a 7' piece. I got 4 of them but only used 1 1/2 so far. I covered the bedroom slide and the kingpin. Paul sure is glad, he hit that thing so many times that he started to shy away from the whole trailer for fear that something would come out at him. Then when I covered the corners etc. boy was he ever glad.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #13
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Thanks, guys. I went to Wally World today and got four of them. It was the end of the swimming season and they were almost out of stock, so I had to win a tug-of-war with a soccer mom and her 2 kids that were on their way to a swimming party (just kidding).

My noggin feels better already.
one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #14
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
How about using foam pipe wrap?
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #15
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Hey Folks, do you suppose that if we find enough uses for the noodles on the 5er and TT's that someday we could float to the far away islands and back?
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote