Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Who did the spring on the screen door?

Vicki saw at the rally where someone put a spring on the screen door so it would self-close instead of swinging out and latching itself to the opened main door. If you see this would you post some particulars on your installation? Or anyone who has done this.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have had one of those for a long time on the TT, works great..Actually two of them one on the top of door one on the bottom Got them at CW..not expensive at all.Simple installation, couple of screws.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Installed on day two have had on all our units would not be with out Steve.As Richfaa stated easy install
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
So this is a spring available at CW made specifically for this purpose? That couldn't be easier. I guess it's about time to order some things from CW anyhow.

Thanks, guys!
Old 07-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Steve their are two types if I remember (the way they mount) only one will work with the Montana style screen door.I will try to find in the CW Cat.I mounted ours with tention that it will also close the main door when you interlock it with the screen door
Old 07-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Steve, I only found the spring kit in the CW cat that does not work it is Cat 1139 made by Camco. I found in the cat I got from my local RV dealer the one that works.
Made by Carefree Colorado "Camper Klozer Screen Door Return"
Part No 31 8197 901043 $7.29

I am sure CW Has I do not have their complete cat.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, We got at CW, in the store. Yes, they are wonderful, Al put them on and I LOVE them, specially with an arm full of yorkies! He stretched them some, if you are interested, I might be able to get him to measure that for you. 2 springs!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:10 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve here's a picture of the spring....
[img][/img]
This picture shows 1 of 2 springs and the spring is attached to the bottom screw of the center hinge and than attached to the frame. The 2nd spring would attach to the top screw.

and here's the CW catalog page
I'm not 100% but I think you can also get them at WalMart.

There are 2 springs per package with screws
It is a simple installation.
You will need to drill 2 small holes in the frame.
I used the center hinge for both springs
Install the 1st spring using the top screw location of the hinge and putting a little tension on the spring, pull the spring up and mark the spot on the frame to drill the 1st hole. Screw the spring to the frame.
Repeat the process for the 2nd or lower spring.

Hopefully this is clearer than mud but if not ask around the campground as I have seen them on many rigs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:01 AM   #9
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Is this spring the same as a regular door spring available at hardware stores etc.?
Thanks
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Weldon They are similar but much shorter and just a bit smaller in dia. Might be able to go to auto parts store and get two springs from their spring assortments. They are usually pretty inexpensive. They are about 8 to 10" long and approx 1/4 to 3/8" in dia. I see that CW is out of stock at this time.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:02 AM   #11
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Farmer Don,
Thanks for the reply...we have a CW here in New Braunfels, TX. Perhaps I can find them in stock.

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:24 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent information. Thanks everyone! Now I am a bit confused. Ken mentioned one type will not work with the Montana door but the others seem to be sayng they're using that type. What am I missing?

I do want the springs to handle both doors when interlocked, like Ken mentioned.

Carol, if Al has a moment to measure the springs, that would be helpful. Does your setup close both doors when interlocked?

Thanks for all the great and quick replies.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Weldon, CW shows them at only $5.98 for the pair. These are the ones that didn't work for Ken, though, so I'm hoping to get a better understanding of the problem. We have the same model as Carol and Al so maybe they'll work for us although they didn't for Ken. I don't know that yet though.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:41 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Excellent information. Thanks everyone! Now I am a bit confused. Ken mentioned one type will not work with the Montana door but the others seem to be sayng they're using that type. What am I missing?

I do want the springs to handle both doors when interlocked, like Ken mentioned.

Carol, if Al has a moment to measure the springs, that would be helpful. Does your setup close both doors when interlocked?

Thanks for all the great and quick replies.
I'm not sure what springs Ken is referring to as I have only ever seen the ones that appeared in the earlier photo and these do work on all Montanas as we may have different models but we all have the same doors.
If you want the springs to close both doors just put in a little more stretch when attaching to the frame.
My door>>>>>[img][/img]
When relaxed the springs measure about 8 inches. I stretched each to about 9 inches and it closes the screen door just fine and will close both doors some of the time. In order to closed both doors all of the time when interlocked you will have to stretch the spring maybe to 11 or 12 inches. By putting enough tension to handle both doors it would be too much for just the screen door Keep in mind it takes more tension (stretch) on the springs to close 2 doors than it would to close just the light screen door. This extra tension will cause the screen door to slam shut and bounce back open before it has a chance to latch.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

I have not had Al measure, but from reading Glenn's post, I think you would be more than safe in going with his measurements and his comments about one door or two doors shutting.

Ours must be closer to the 9 inch distance, as it closes the screen door realllllll nice, but the door does not fly back open. It will sorta close the front heavy door as well, but NOT really. I am happy with the screen door shutting, don't seem to have as much trouble getting the big one to shut. I like that it pulls that screen door shut and it stays shut. Every time I use the screen door and it works so nice I smile and comment on how much I love this silly little improvement!

By the way, I believe it was Bob and Mary Kay (from Victoria Palms in the winter months, and somewhere in Ohio in the summer months) that had the one we saw at the Rally last year.

Had a trailer since about 1984, this is our first spring loaded screen door, and I am sorry I did not know about them many years ago!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:03 AM   #16
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
thanks glen for picture and diagram. very clear.
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent! I think I will go with the 9 inches as that's what we want it to do, too. Thank you all very much. There is no CW within driving distance from here so I will either order them or try one of the local RV dealers. I have saved this thread, with pictures and all, as I know I'll need to refer back to it. CRS.