Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I DO love RVing!

When pulling out from Moccasin Creek SP today, I had to move around the loop to reach the dump station. As I pulled up and started to take care of dumping, another person pulled up behind me, and asked if I minded if he watched as he had never dumped before—it was his first trip out in a TT after always camping in a pop up. I said no problem, and talked to him a few minutes and then went back and gave a few tips on his unit.

While I was doing that, another camper in a Jayco, but who was staying for the weekend, came up to Marsha and started ranting about how attractive the Montana is and how his wife had fallen in love with them. As I walked back, he was saying that he had to get a little more of the new off of his Jayco before he could trade, but that he was very impressed with them.

After dumping, I went on back around the loop—someone was already in “our” site—and had to stop because someone else was blocking the road, waiting for another site to come open. Marsha went down to ask if he could go around the loop so we could get the Montana by. He apologized for blocking us in and pulled around. As he made the turn to start around the loop, he threw up his hand, and, with a big smile, hollered, “Drive safely!”

Now, not every RVer is easy to get along with, but a good portion of them are easily approachable, and it does not take much to strike up a conversation. Marsha is accusing me of yapping too much when out camping, but I am finding this to be one of the better aspects of RVing, sort of like the time spent here! It is one of the intangibles that make the experience—and life—just a little more pleasant!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ann just shakes her head when we are setup and I tell her I am going for a walk. She knows I am going out to meet people and chew the fat. It goes with the territory doesn't it.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Same deal with Lorraine and I. I'll take 2 or 3 walks a day and depending on the number of campers in the park each of these walks can take a couple of hours. Now throw in a couple of Montana or Duramax owners and you can nearly double that time.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think the guys have more opportunities to visit with the "neighbors" since they are usually working around outside. It is really great to visit with folks who indulge in the same hobby as we do. Seems most campers are nice people.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
For everything you do there is an up side and a down side. The up side to the Hong Kong assignment is all the excitement and opportunity. The down side is parking our Montana for up to 18 months and not having the opportunities that you are discribing. At this point, we will only have time to load it up and then park it.

Maybe I should just sell it and buy again when we return. Ick, excitement can be excruciating.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We've found the same thing to be true in our travels. Mary Kay will be walking the dogs and I'll look out the window and she is only one or two trailers down the road and talking to one or more folks. This happens almost every place we stay. It is so nice to run into folks who have sort of "decompressed" from that other hectic world that we used to live in. Best thing we can do is to simply keep meeting and enjoying.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:50 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Great story, J.D.! It must be that everyone is away from the daily grind, kind of in the same boat, that makes them so much more friendly to each other. For whatever reason, it's a very enjoyable part of the experience for me.

Glenn, I remember seeing you out "making the rounds" at the rally last September. You were usually out pretty early in the morning. I'd look out and there's you'd be, strolling down the road. When I could I'd finsih up what I was doing and go out and chat with you.

And I remember that phenomenon about only getting a few trailers down, HamRad. At the rally I tried to get around to meet everyone but never got more than a few trailers. Just so many nice and interesting people along the way.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #8
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Boy am I glad to hear that I'm not the only one who takes walks around the camp ground. It seems like RVs TVs and dogs are three things that break the ice real fast. Of course a lot of friendly people helps a lot too. I have learned a lot by simply talking to other campers. Its like a large outdoor MOC. I hope it never changes.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Wordsmith and others, This is what brings more and more people to camping. People like you that will stop and lend a hand to a newbie and answer questions. Imagine what would have happened had no one stopped to lend this guy a hand. A few trips with no help and he would have started thinking camping was a chore not a time to relax. I am relatively young to this website, but have learned a lot from reading posts from knowledgeable people here. I have graduated thru the ranks from a pick-up camper to a TT, to three different fifth wheels. Each one had its learning process. And with out people like you I would have never made it this far. I truly thank all the people that have helped me along the way as without a helping hand, or a word of encouragement along the way I would have gave up camping a long time ago. Now it's my turn to lend a hand whenever I can.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote