Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
Garmin 2620 GPS system

Well, I just received my new Garmin 2620 GPS system. Now all I have to do is figure out how it works. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions. I know many of you have the same or similar model GPS, and hopefully, you will be able to help me.

I just entered a route and am going our now to try it out. Wish me luck!

alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
you will love the garmin 2620.Its all preloaded with the maps which is a very nice feature.i have the street pilot 111 deluxe.Its a step or 2 down from the 2620 but its been a life saver when traveling roads you don`t know.Type in your route and your on your way with voice prompts and turn by turn directions.After you get back from your test drive with it,you will be smling.And you won`t be lost.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Let us know how you like it, I have the 2610 and am thrilled with how well it works. I do have to load different areas into it when I travel far. I really like the verbal directions.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
I used it and it seems to work fine. It seems like it is best to plan a route from my house, rather than in the truck.

Here's my first question: is it possible to plug more than one device into the cigarette lighter? I have this GPS system, a CB radio and a cell phone charger. Are there splitters or something that can add more devices?

Also, I don't see how I can use the Find to find rest areas on highways.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:16 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You can buy a splitter at Radio Shack.
On my 2610 when you are on the interstate hit Exits and you can scroll the exits by no, select an Exit it will tell you services available and it will show you the rest stops as well.

Just get out their and use it you will love it
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Their sure are devices you can use.Radio shack has one that you plug into your cigg.lighter and has 3 outlets.I have one and use all 3 all the time.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I have had three Garmin handhelds and they have been great. I use the 60C because it doubles as a hiking/hunting/fishing unit as well. Enjoy.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:26 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I think you will like the Garmin. I have the Street Pilot III version and it's been great. I just ordered the new updates to the city maps (City Navigator North America V6) that Garmin recently released. I can't imagine traveling without my navigator....most times it takes the confusion and stress away from finding your way. Definitely has improved me and my other half's relations when traveling! I now can blame the Garmin when I make a wrong turn!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:38 AM   #9
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
I've used it a few times and it works great. I will be using it this afternoon when we go to our daughter's house, which is about 80 miles away. I can't wait to use it on the trip.

Is there a fast way to enter addresses. or is all just trial and error? I think it is something I just have to get used to, and that I will get better at it with practive.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:17 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
You will get use to rocker pad after some use. The only problem I've had in finding address is when the post office uses a different name than the actual location, e.g. the location may be Route 6 but garmin will have the street name of columbus road. These situation can be problematic in getting a hit on the address.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:35 PM   #11
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
It worked fine on my long trip.

SITUATION: I had a route from my house (Point A) to my daughter's house (Point B). I then made a route to a restaurant (Point C). The route went from Point B to Point C.

QUESTION: I want to go back from Point C to Point B. Is there a quick way of doing it without going through the hastle of adding a new route of Point C to Point B?
Old 11-26-2004, 12:11 AM   #12
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Yes there are shortcuts to do what you have asked. I don't have the Garmin in front of me but I think it's as follows:
Select route
Select recently found places
On top of screen - select address and then pick from the list of
addresses (previously entered) the location you want and then
select route to it.

After using it you will quickly pick up on the shortcuts, such as setting way-points, re-routing with different parameters and quick selection of previously entered addresses, cities and points of interest.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:35 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Alan, I believe my prior instructions should have been use the "Find" key as the 1st key in lieu of the "Route" key. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:28 AM   #14
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
Steve:

I found a button on the Route menu that says "Return to Start." I'll bet that button will do what I want. It should take me back to the start point of my last route. From my example above, if I have a Route from Point B to Point C, but not from Point C to Point B, this "Return to Start" button will probably take me back to Point B from Point C. I will try it out later.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #15
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
I was able to get back to Start using the 2 methods described in earlier postings.

Also, I had a few other questions, so I called Garmin technology. They were very helpful and were able to answer all my questions. They walked me through everything. It's really not difficult, you just have to use it often and you will get proficient at it.

Thanks for all your help!javascript:insertsmilie('')
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #16
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
[quote]Originally posted by alanzuck

I was able to get back to Start using the 2 methods described in earlier postings.

Also, I had a few other questions, so I called Garmin technology. They were very helpful and were able to answer all my questions. They walked me through everything. It's really not difficult, you just have to use it often and you will get proficient at it.

Thanks for all your help!()