Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2004, 05:07 AM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Ceramic Heaters

Hi Everyone,

Looking to buy a Ceramic or other type of heater to use in the bed room on cool nights instead of running the furnace. Any suggestions? Of importance would be, needs to be very quiet and under $50.

Thanks,

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 05:52 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Shop at Lowes or Home Depot. Lowes had the bigger selection. We bought a combo heater/fan and it oscillates. But finding one that's "very quiet" could be the problem
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:17 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I noticed in today's (Sunday) Target store ad that they have ceramic heaters on sale, 2 for the price of 1...$29.99

I don't know a thing about 'em or if they are quiet, but if you have a Target store in your area it might be worth checking out *today* because the ad says quantities are limited.

Store ads are designed to cater to the region so I wonder if your Target ads are the same as ours.

Good luck and let us know what you do end up buying and if you like it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:50 AM   #4
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
One thing I found when looking at ceramic heaters a couple of years ago was that they are all not created equal. We bought and returned 3 different units before settling on the one we bought (Windmere). It was the only one that would heat our trailer at freezing temperatures without having to turn on the furnace.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is a great topic that creates questions for me. Doesn't the underbelly protection of you water system depend on the heating ducts under the flooring to provide heating necessary for that protection?

I understand running electric heat to reduce propane usage and let the campground provide your power source for heating. Maybe I just don't have an adquate understanding of the plumbing weather protection system.

Perhaps you close off the bedroom area and set the furnace at a lower temperature and use the electric heater to suppliment in the bedroom. Please enlighten me.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, you are correct. In freezing temperatures where freezing water lines and/or tanks is a possibility you need to have the furnace run enough to put heat in the belly. Below freezing we shut off the electric heater downstairs, set the furnace thermostat to 55, close the door to the upstairs and run an electric heater up there. Above freezing it's no problem running the electric heaters. Saves propane.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thank you Steve. What a relief to find that I realy do understand something at my age.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by azstar

Hi Everyone,

Looking to buy a Ceramic or other type of heater to use in the bed room on cool nights instead of running the furnace. Any suggestions? Of importance would be, needs to be very quiet and under $50.

Thanks,
Hello,
Check out the Holmes twin ceramic oscillating heater. Wal-Mart $39.95
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:39 AM   #9
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Stiles, just to clear up that concern. I was talking of the electric heater only at freezing temps not below. In my experience the trailer has been warm enough inside to keep things from freezing but anything more than a couple of degrees below freezing you would need the furnace.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
After a lot of searching and actually buying a couple only to return them. Too noisy. I have ordered a newly designed mod. from Walmart.com It's a Holmes, "Ultra Quiet Ceramic Mini Tower Heater". Mod HCH4948-U $34.88. I'll have it in about a week. I'll post my ratings on it ASAP. Good news is, I'll be able to return it to any Walmart if it's a dud.

Happy Camping
Old 11-24-2004, 01:21 AM   #11
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
azstar,
I looked at this heater (Mod HCH4948-U) online and the discription does not give the BTUs. What does it say about them on your unit?
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bob & Donna,
I couldn't find that info even on the Manufacturer's web site. I hope it's on the unit. I'll post it when I get the unit, next week.