Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #21
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Bob and Jean, now that you have your new Duramax we have even more in common than our appreciation for the Montana 2955RL. We had a Chevy gasoline 3/4 ton before we got the Duramax and we were very pleased with it, but Colorado "hills" left it with little margin of power. We came over Wolf Creek Pass in July (coming from Vallecito Lake to Buena Vista) and with the Duramax we had power to spare. We also appreciate the "tow/haul" mode when going down the mountain. it really saves the brakes. We will be in Crested Butte in January, but that will be by automobile. This will be my third year to ride the lifts basically "free" because of my advanced years . Our daughter lives in Buena Vista so we park our Montana in her yard for a couple of weeks every year. It's a great way to visit your grown children and not have to be their house guests. BTW, we have not yet gone over Monarch with the RV, but I wouldn't be afraid to do it.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:47 PM   #22
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
Welcome to Montanaowners.com. We have a 2001 2880RL and love it. Just got back from eastern Canada and New England and put 8,000 miles on it and had a great time. We have had a few minor problems but nothing big so far and think it's a very well made rv. Would buy another one in a minute.
THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 PM   #23
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
SGF, good point about the single motor cooling the condensor also. That's a little thought about fact. Household a/c has a seperate cooling fan so it always runs the right cfm, the common shaft motor does double duty and is more efficient at higher speed.

Good Info!!

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #24
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
I also have the 2955-2001 and love it. As other members stated there is a chance your unit did not have the upgrade to the crack in front of the bedroom slide. As they mentioned call in your Vin number and if this hasn't been corrected Keystone will get it done.
I did have one other problem and that was the plastic pannel just behind the hitch, where they mount the catch to hold up the front compartment door. When they mounted the catch they must have cracked the plastic pannel. We took it on a short trip over some rough roads, even going at a slow speed the vibration caused this small crack to expand 3 feet. When we returned home I called the dealer, and in return he contacted Keystone. Keystone sent out a new pannel and our dealer installed it at no charge.
I think you will be really happy with your unit, just keep your slides and other movable parts lubricated and you should have no problems.

Good luck,

Bill & Rita
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:07 AM   #25
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

We had a Chevy gasoline 3/4 ton before we got the Duramax and we were very pleased with it, but Colorado "hills" left it with little margin of power. BTW, we have not yet gone over Monarch with the RV, but I wouldn't be afraid to do it.
We have a 2001 3280, and it has been wonderful!!!
Padredw, we started with a Ford, w/ 460 gas, and it really struggled up the hills. You know those dang salesmen will tell you your ____ (fill in the blank) will tow just fine!! Two trips, and we upgraded to a diesel, and haven't looked back!
Monarch isn't as steep as WolfCreek, pretty easy up, and slow going down (I have to loaf in low gear, the Monty just pushes too hard in anything higher and I am real conservative when it comes to brakes) Hope you enjoy your trips to Buena Vista, that's a real pretty part of Colorado! (Not to mention pretty good fly fishing too!)
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:29 AM   #26
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Thanks, Al and Rexann, we will be coming to Crested Butte in January for a ski trip. But we will be coming in the Toyota Avalon. Will stop by Buena Vista, of course, and our daughter will join us for skiing. BTW, she is in New Orleans this week end. Got tickets for $85 round trip Denver to N.O. She runs an Internet Service Business dba "Mountain Computer Wizards" in Buena Vista.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #27
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
The tire wear problem caught my rig. But by the time it showed up, all the related warranty periods had expires. Everybody (Dealer, Keystone, Al-ko Kober) all listened but offered no help or any real answers. Anyone buying a new/used trailer should insist on a axle alignment. Buyer beware. Buying a set of tires and doing a alignment after only two years is expensive. All I can hope for now is that the problem is solved and I don't redo it in two years. Other then that all I've had has been a few fit-n-finish items handled by the dealer.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:11 PM   #28
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Welcome Ray & Judy

I have a 2001 model.3280RL.I am having the bed room slide crack problem as I type.Had it fixed at my local dealer and it wasn`t done right.Crack reappeared in under 15 miles away from dealer.Will be taking it to another dealer to have it fixed right.Mine has the 10 inch beams as well.make sure yours does also.No sure if your model as the island kitchen with the wood plank flooring,but if it does make sure when running in and out your slide that it isn`t marking up the wood.Had this problem also but was fixed.All at no expense to me.Keystone picked up the tab and will do so for the crack problem as well.Other then that it is a beautiful rig and love it to death.Good luck with yours as well.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:04 AM   #29
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Hi Harley. Thanks for your comments. I am not sure if I have the problem of the crack or not. I was wondering if anyone had posted any pictures on the net to show what it looks like. I do have have the 10 inch frame and the wheels and axles are Ok as far as I can tell. I don't have any tire wear now. The tires look pretty new to me. If I have cracks near my bedroom slide they are so small that I can't see them with my tried old eyes. Before I bought the unit I had the dealer check with Keystone to see if my unit had been repaired in the past for it. He said it had not. My son checked the shackles and frame for the crack problem but did not see any.

I am glad that you are making progress with your problems.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 04:26 AM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ray and Judy, I forget whose Montana this was but this is the crack on their unit:
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote