Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 03:45 PM   #41
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It just occurred to me that although JimnPat started this thread, they have not joined in since. I hope we have not scared them away! Are you still lurking out there Jim and Pat?

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #42
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

When we left New Orleans heading west, we took a lot of side roads, and had the most enjoyable drive!! Much more smooth and scenic. Did not regret that at all.
Carol and Al, now you know exactly why we try to avoid interstates when we can! And usually it doesn't take much longer to take the US and State highways. Sometimes it's even shorter.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:23 AM   #43
Ormee and Ginette
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #262
Hi folks, we really appreciate all the advice been given on this thread about the routes to take, I will most certainly avoid the I-10 and take another route out of New Orleans and get to see some wonderful country... If any of you have more suggestions keep them coming since my route from Quebec to Mission is not cast in concrete I am willing to change at any time...

See you all down there, have a safe drive and enjoy....
Ormee and Ginette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #44
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
DON'T go across I-10. You won't have any stomach left. Ann broke dishes in the rig on that road. Go up to 1-20 and then across.
You might also run into bad weather across the "hills" in P.A. (Call them hills now after being to Az.)
We have travelled the route to Tx. about 10 times now and I could offer many diff. routes. We are heading down the Natchez Trace Parkway this time. It goes south from West of Nashville.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:49 AM   #45
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ormee and Ginette: We always goes across the lower section of the Lake to Cleveland then head south. You have to watch the weather in case of Lake effect snow. You can also run into bad snow in N.Y. and P.A.
Keep your eye on the weather channel and decide on your route. I will monitor this site when we get to Tx. next week and I will certainly give you some decent routes which DO NOT mean taking the Interstates all the way. We hate the truck traffic and always go on the back routes. Email me if you want a few different routes.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:25 AM   #46
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
As all the other folks have said, there are many ways to Texas. Like OntMont says we usually travel through Detroit as well to avoid the storms south of Lake Erie. We have gone a number of ways but usually head as far south as quickly as we can...Jan. is cold. We take 75 S out of Detroit to 71 (to Louisville) which is south of Cincinatti, 65 S (at Louisville) and then swing West on 40 at Nashville, 30 (memphis) to Dallas and 35 out of Dallas to San Antonio and then 281 south to Mission, 83west to Benstsen Palm Drive. Have a good trip and hopefully we'll see you in Texas!!!
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #47
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Thanks to everybody for travel tips. I think we should be able to find our way there when the time finally comes for us to make the trip. Any additional info is more than welcome!

Safe travelling to all.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:36 AM   #48
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ann and I plan our route so we don't hit any major cities like Houston, Waco, Dallas, San Antonio. We also don't go through any of the bigger cities up north. As said by others, there are a lot of good roads without hitting the interstates.
Heading south today. Safe travels everyone. See you in Tx.