Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Montana 3150 vs. Moutaineer 324

I know everyone has their own preference for RVs so asking an "opinion question" will be highly individualized.

That being said, I am finally ready to take the plunge. I have done a years worth of research and didn't want to actually go to a dealer until I was ready to deal. I have been to several RV shows and am going to one this weekend. I am ready to buy now.

I had narrowed my choice to the Montana 3150. I going to drive about 150 miles out of town to an RV Show this weekend and I know one of the dealers there has this model. I went to the local Montana RV dealer today who is working up a quote for me on the Montana 3150. He didn't have one in stock so I would have to order it. I should get the quote tomorrow. Thing is, they had a Mountaineer 324 on the lot. It has basically the same floorplan as the Montana 3150.

From my research, it seems as though I have learned that the Mountaineer is a step (or maybe more) below the Montana. Of course the price of the Mountaneer is likely to be several thousand less, if not close to $8K or more less. I don't mind paying more for substantially better quality. I plan on this being a unit I will use a couple of times a month with one or two longer trips were year (say two weeks at a time). Of course I hope to get many years of use out of it.

So, the tempation is to 1.) save the money on the lesser expensive Moutaineer and 2.) buy the unit that is already on the lot here locally. On the practical side, if I ordered a unit here I was told it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get. If the quality is so much better that wait is nothing Or, who knows, I might get quote this weekend at the RV on the 3150 that is "too good to be true."

All of that to ask this - even though I am willing to shell out maybe an extra $8K - $10K more for the Montana 3150 has it been your experience/knowledge that the Montana brand is substantially better than the Mountaineer? Thanks for any opinion or advice.

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We looked at the Montana 2955 and Mountaineer we have now. Decided on the Mountaineer because it had two bathroom sinks (his and hers). After being in it since 2006, I don't think the quality goes in the Mountaineer than goes into the Montana. For example; our kitchen drawers toppled after 3 months. Shoddy construction out of white pine furring strips. Just one of the many things I have found. I believe the Mountaineer has been upgraded since we purchased ours, but if you pay 8 grand less, there has to be a reason. Check the Mountaineer very closely against the Montana.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
bubbabc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9722
I have a 2010 326 Mountaineer. The Mountaineer is constructed the same as a Montana. The biggest difference I see is the inside materials and the exterior grafics. My Mountaineer has most of the goodies that the Montana has including, Remote control set up, electric rear jacks, power awning, huge storage area, chrome wheels,big screen TV, Fireplace,ect. The cabinets are real wood but not as heavy or fancy as a Montana. The interior wood trim is vinyl covered. The drawer sides in the master bedroom are pressed wood. The grafics on the exterior are rather plain Jane compared to the Montana. The windows are not as plentiful or as large as a Montana. I think the Mountaineer is a good bang for the buck. I am wondering if it will be discontinued because of the introduction of the Big Country? I am only a weekend camper so the Mountaineer was a perfect fit for me. It still has all the comforts of home at a great price.
bubbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
It's really a pretty simple choice. Walk into both. Sit down and close your eyes. One will feel right and more like home than the other. Then just buy it. You won't make a bad choice either way. Good luck and happiness for years to come.
hydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We had a Mountaineer and now have a Montana. the suspension is a little different and the insulation a little less in the Mountaineer. Someone told us that what you have in the Mountaineer is what the Montana had about 2-3 years ago. We liked our Mountaineer, just wanted a different floor plan, etc. just compare them both, side by side if possible. the Montana will have a little more "eye candy"
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
TODO
Established Member

M.O.C. #9970
I think Hydman has it right. We just purchased the 3150RL and have had it out 4 times. So far, our research has paid off. Very few complaints and a lot of wow features we didn't even know about until we had it out on the road and spent a few weeks in it. It is our first Montana and our first fifth wheel. We are very pleased with it.
TODO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

We had a Mountaineer and now have a Montana. the suspension is a little different and the insulation a little less in the Mountaineer. Someone told us that what you have in the Mountaineer is what the Montana had about 2-3 years ago. We liked our Mountaineer, just wanted a different floor plan, etc. just compare them both, side by side if possible. the Montana will have a little more "eye candy"
I would agree. We got the old Montana front cap; Montana had the newly designed tight radius cap. We got formica cabinet tops; Montana had the molded counter tops. I'm not complaining, just pointing out the facts. We knew this when we bought it. Someone mentioned drawer glides. Our bedroom chest has the 100% metal glides; very good. But dang; my 8 year old granddaughter could have done better on the kitchen drawers. My understanding is that the Montana the same year had a prefab drawer unit that was very good. Buy whatever suits your needs, but like I said before, if you save 8 grand, you're coming up short somewhere compared to the other unit.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Slickwillie has some very good points. We have a 2002 3295RK that I have replaced all the drawers and drawer glides. I can not understand how the Montana quality control team can let some of these things get by. Have you thought of looking at a used Montana a couple of years old? When we bought I had a price that I was going to spend and waited for the right unit to show up. I wanted a Montana because it is well built and the layout. You can do a lot of upgrading for the $8,000. I am sure you will be happy with ether unit.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Drifty1 may have a good idea on the used unit. Of course you don't get the warranty deal with it but there have been some here on MOC at the end of forum posts and they really sound like some great deals. there is also the Good Sam warranty program also that could be used t incase things should break. We purchased ours from a private owner and it is a 2004 but just like new and I've updated to make things more comfy!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Whatever you decide don't buy what's on the lot just to get it quicker. This is a large purchase. You should carefully look over several units and get what you want. You will be glad down the road you didn't rush into anything. Everytime you trade one of these things you lose a lot of money.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
we ordered ours, got an upgraded unit and paid about 8K less than the plain jane unit on the lot. The ordered unit had less overhead in it. Go figure.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I looked at the Montana, Big Sky, and the Mountaineer I have (324RLQ) before buying

All had essentially the identical floor-plan, only differences noticable to me were upgraded finishes in the two "higher end" units. Personally (and this is a personal choice) the "upcharge" amount for fancier cabinets and trim did not sway me to them.

I've had my 324 for a little over a year now, full-timing in it, and hauling it to 3 remote locations over that time period, and for me, I wouldn't change my choice. I've had minimal issues, nothing that I would reconsider over.

Either way, someone previously posted, that when you make your decision, One will feel right and more like home than the other - buy that one!

Happy trails!
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote