Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2006, 06:05 AM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Which Montana floorplan has largest living room?

While we aren't in a position to purchase a Montana yet, we hope to in the not to far future. We do favor the 3295 floorplan at this point. One of the high priority items on our list though is open floor space. I favor a floorplan with the most living room space. However, I want to be sure we still can have a washer & dryer and a TV in the bedroom (which I think all the Montana floorplans offer the washer & dryer option as well as a TV in the bedroom, but please correct me if I am wrong).

Anyway, you all are the pros so I come to you to ask which floorplan would give us the largest living room sq. ft.

TIA.

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
From what I've seen, the 3670RL has the most "open" space of all of them. All appliances and furniture hug all exterior walls, which provides lots of walking area for more than two people with ease. Washer/Dryer is by the entry door. I haven't seen the new 2007 Brochure, so I'm not sure if they still manufacture that unit. Good Luck! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sandi,

Your definition of largest might not be mine. I think on this one, you need to go sit in one for an hour or so, hopefully, you can go from unit to unit and sit in each.

3295 does not have the largest, if you consider the island as taking away from the front room. (does that make sense??) Personally I agree, the 3295 is a bit more "cut up", for lack of a better description. The 3500 has distinct rooms, and that front room is nice!! The 3400 feels larger, but does have the island thingy going on too. The 3600RE has a nice feel to it, and they have changed the entertainment center some, and I think I could actully work in that one with the tv and the computer desk as they were in a unit we saw at the Rally. 3650 is also a great unit, rear kitchen, front room open. Note, the last 3, the 3500, 3600 and 3650 all have the washer dryer in the bedroom, very front, I think you can only get Spendide type units in there. The 3400 and the 3295 have the w/d closet right inside the front door.

When is the RV show in Novi (was that in October), what about the one at the Silverdome?? Or, is it time for a visit to one of the dealers and have the salesmen leave ya alone so you can sit and contemplate and not have to listen to him tell you what YOU need or want!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In my opinion the Monty with the greatest amount of floor space is the current 3475 RL which will soon become the 3485RL. You can see the floor plan of the 3475RL here The 3485 has the W/D closest in the front right where the Stor a Lot Drawer stack is currently located.

3400RL and 3600RE--Counter protruding into the living space
3500RL--Sliding doors between Living and Dining/Kitchen areas

This is precisely why we went with the 3485RL as we were not interested in counter space as much as we wanted living space. The W/D closest is in the bedroom and only takes the W/D combo in which we are not at all interested in.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think Glenn may be correct. The 3670 according to our tape measure had the most open space. The 3475 is/was very similar and the new 3485 looks like it has a lot of open space.. make your tape measure a part of your wardrobe and don't leave home without it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
And, the precise reason I did not discuss the 3475 is because it is just about gone from the lineup and Sandi is not buying NOW. And you guys are 100%, it is a very very nice layout, specially if you don't need or desire a lot of kitchen counter tops/cabinets. If Sandi wants the 3475, she will probably have to purchase sooner than I thought she was gonna. BUT, maybe that would push her into a purchase!

However, Sandi, if you want the 3485 with the fully enclosed bath, that one has a nice open front room too! And, it is a brand new model, so hot off the presses that most of the dealers don't even know about it yet. (They are always the last to know! )

I'll stand by my first comment, time for her to get to a RV show or better yet, into a few dealerships and agree, take your tape rule!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thank you everyone. We were to a couple dealerships this summer and into I think most all of the Montana floorplans. While we liked so many things about the 3295, I just wonder if we would be happier with a floorplan that seemed more open/bigger in the living area.

While I don't do a lot of cooking, we do eat/cook at home a lot so I am not sure we would be happy with the small counter-top in the 3475/3485. I am not sure I would like the all in one washer/dryer either (but again maybe I would love it).

Also, I wonder about some of the floorplans where you would not have any windows on the one end (thus no windows on either end other than the slide out windows facing the ends).

However, as we all know, you have to give up one thing to gain another and that is what makes it so darn hard. LOL This is such a major decision and choice and we want to be sure we get it right the first time.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
It is my opinion, but I feel the 3400RL has the most "open" feel to it. That was one of the main reasons I picked it over any of the other floorplans. I also wanted a coach that you could view the tv from every seat in the living room. I do not like to sit to the side and have my head turned to watch a 2 hour movie. I also did not like having to pull the tv out and turn it to watch it, thus the reason I did not like the 3670RL.

I did not want a washer/dryer in my bedroom. Having a bedroom washer/dryer forces you to get a combo unit. I want a stackable unit that takes less time to do laundry with. Again these are just my opinions....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We looked at lots of floor plans and different brands and kept coming back to the 3400RL because of the open floor space and the cooking counter top space. We liked the 3475 years ago when we say it but I tried to think where I would place pans etc when cooking. If you don't want to cook and eat out the 3475 would be better than the 3400 as it gives you just about the same floor plan but doesn't have the island. I hate eating out all of the time because I like to smell that home cooking when I get back to the RV, plus I think I am a pretty good cook

Carol mentioned going to different models and sitting in them for a period of time. What great advice......do a little pretend camping.
We did that in several models. If they let us take these units back and exchange them then it wouldn't be so important to be sure that what you are buying is what you truly want. Happy searching..... we found what we wanted in the 3400RL.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We looked at floor plans for weeks and more or less settled on one model. I found a Dealer that had all current models in stock, and we went inside all of them. We sat, stood, looked around - just to get a feel for the inside. Even though the living rooms were the same in some models, they really changed just by the layout of the kitchen. I'm glad we looked, as we ended up ordering a different model altogether after getting "a feel".

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

It is my opinion, but I feel the 3400RL has the most "open" feel to it. That was one of the main reasons I picked it over any of the other floorplans. I also wanted a coach that you could view the tv from every seat in the living room. I do not like to sit to the side and have my head turned to watch a 2 hour movie. I also did not like having to pull the tv out and turn it to watch it, thus the reason I did not like the 3670RL.

I did not want a washer/dryer in my bedroom. Having a bedroom washer/dryer forces you to get a combo unit. I want a stackable unit that takes less time to do laundry with. Again these are just my opinions....
Dave, The 3400 and the 3485 living room and dining areas are identical. It's the L shaped counter protruding into the living space in the 3400 that takes a substantial portion of living space out of the picture. This is not the case in the 3485. As far as storage? We currently have a considerably smaller 2955 and have all the storage space we require for a full timing couple. Keep in mind the more stuff you store the more weight you are carrying.
For us the W/D cabinet in the bedroom is perfect as we do not want a W/D anyway and it will give us a larger wardrobe/storage area and our wardrobe/storage will weigh considerably less than any W/D combo.

Driftwoodgal, I love eating out. I could eat breakfast and dinner out everyday. We rarely do lunch. Usually we eat out about everyday with a once or twice a week meal AT the trailer. I say AT the trailer as when we do not go OUT to a dinner I usually cook OUT at the grill so the huge counter is just wasted space and again more weight. Add that weight to the weight of the 4th additional slide in the 3400 and it all starts to add up.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
For 3 years Helen had a tape measure on her person at all times.The tape tells the tale in terms of open living space and counter space. Look and feel can be deceiving. As for storage space..you tend to make do with whatever you have..As someone mentioned a short while ago..At the max you have 400 square feet of interior space.It is a matter of how it is allocated.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Well I'm going to vote for the 3400. I agree with Dave about the space and the TV viewing. The large LR is what sold us on the 3400.
To each his own.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #14
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Hey there all...where is a link to this new 3485 you all keep posting about? Any links or anything?

GQ
Montana_6085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The original web site where we had a glimpse of the 3485 has apparently been pulled BUT while it was there I did manage to get the pictures. You will see them in my Photobucket at http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...timingit/3485/

Click on any pic for a larger view.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #16
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Thanks so much. It isn't wjhat I thought it might be. But at least I now know. We will stick with the 3295RK. Please pray that we will sell out place before too long. :-)

GWQ
Montana_6085 is offline   Reply With Quote