Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Suggestions when buying

Whether you are buying off the lot or ordering I suggrst you tell your dealer that you want to leave your unit on the dealers lot long enough to check it out.I mean everything.I am buying a 319BHD so far I have found every thing that is or has been wrong with this unit.(THIS FORUM IS SUCH A GOOD THING)Just about every thing I have found has been discussed on this forum.As far as the dealer goes I dont think they have found anything not to say that I have a bad dealer I don't think I do,I even had the owner of the lot say to me that I am doing things the right way.Read about all the people that have problems with their units after they leave the dealers lot and think about this posting. I hope it helps

crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Excellent advise crandallbradley. A buyer should never complete the sale until he has done a very very thorough PDI (PreDelivery Inspection). It is also required that the dealer allows the buyer sufficient time to complete the PDI. If for any reason your dealer balks at such a request you would be advised to find another dealer. In fact he should be adamant about the buyer doing his own inspection as he should not want any rig being delivered unless it is 100%.

There are PDI links HERE. It would not be a bad idea to present a copy of the PDI you will be using to your dealer in advance of your inspection. This way he has time to do his own PDI and make corrections before you get there BUT no matter what he says or does you still do your own inspection. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That we discuss our problems with our campers and how we correct them is the outstanding feature of this forum.There are some that feel uncomfortable with folks doing that but as you can see it is very helpful to others..It was very helpful to me and still is. Every single item that I checked on our Pre-PDI came from this forum.Our 3400 came off the lot perfect and we have yet to find a major issue.Should we stop sharing we will stop learning. Crandallbradley..you are doing the right thing//do not sign a paper or write a check or leave the dealers lot till you are 110% satisfied with your unit.We all told spent over 20 hours going over our camper on the dealers lot..pre-PDI and PDI before we signed a single paper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
And DO make sure your awning matches your graphics the way YOU want it to!

Sorry...Couldn't resist.

I agree 100% with the value of this forum.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Well I`m back, I haven`t been on the forum in a while. Its Great to see the helpful info is still out there. One thing I learned from experience is that next time I buy a 5th or any trailer is to have the alignment and tire balancing done as part of the deal!! I had to purchase a new set of tires and the unit is only 2 yrs. old. I went to a different alignment shop and the computer printout showed it was out almost an inch on all the insides of the tires so they looked like this / \, and they said I was basically dragging the unit. Get it in the offer as it is NOT!! done at the factory. The Dealer is dealing again with Keystone to find a solution.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:14 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
crandallbradley,

Because of the forum we towed away a problem free Monty. Our dealer knew that we were going to be looking at everything. We spent numerous hours going over our purchase before and then the day of the sale.

The service manager was very appreciative of having the heads up that we were going to pick it apart.

The one thing that I didn't catch on our pre PDI was the decals. I didn't notice the scrathes as the Monty was dirty on our first outside inspection. I found several places on our first outside inspection, but once clean I found two other places. The dealership fixed the first ones that I found and has ordered decals for the new places.

I am sure that things will go wrong down the road but we will deal with them by fixing ourselves or if major taking it back to our dealer.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote