Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2006, 05:05 AM   #21
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
315RLS
I did a search on the portable air compressors for 12v. You might try looking at ReadyAir.com. They have one in a wooden box with 25ft of hose and a set of jumper cables to use on your truck battery or I would imagine even the battery in the Rv to air up your tires. It sure looked like a neat unit to me. Al

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #22
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I carry the Portable ARB Air Compressor we take with us in the Jeep when off-roading. Runs off the battery and will inflate up to 100psi. A very nice unit ... but not cheap.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #23
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I have been carry around a Fire Department (SCBA) breathing air bottle with a regulator.
It will take up a little more room than the bottle, but I have a 4 gallon pancake compressor for my brad and finish nailers.
One of the things to add to your emergency kit.
You can pick it up at a auto supply store or I have seen them at Walmart.
TIRE PLUG KIT
It somes with the tools and plugs to repair a hole in a tire.
If you have a puncture hole in your tire, leave the tire on the vehicle and move it so it is accessable so you can push on it.
The tire needs to be inlafted up.
Simply push the reamer into the hole, then use the tool with the plug and push into the hole the reamer made and pull the tool out.
One day I waited 4 hours to get a tire plugged and I said never again.
Hope this may save someone a lots of time and aggreavation.
Also, when we come back from FL vacation, I use the compressed air to blow out all of the water lines and drain all the systems, I usualy do it at the Flying J in NJ
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #24
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Thanks for the tip Carlson. I have two of those kits in the shop and one of them needs to go in the Monty. It could save me alot of heartache on the road sometime.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

One of the things to add to your emergency kit.
You can pick it up at a auto supply store or I have seen them at Walmart.
TIRE PLUG KIT
It somes with the tools and plugs to repair a hole in a tire.
If you have a puncture hole in your tire, leave the tire on the vehicle and move it so it is accessable so you can push on it.
The tire needs to be inlafted up.
Simply push the reamer into the hole, then use the tool with the plug and push into the hole the reamer made and pull the tool out.
One day I waited 4 hours to get a tire plugged and I said never again.
Hope this may save someone a lots of time and aggreavation.
Also, when we come back from FL vacation, I use the compressed air to blow out all of the water lines and drain all the systems, I usualy do it at the Flying J in NJ
I never plug a tire on my RVs. Two reasons: The hole starts small with a nail or screw, then you push a reamer in which is larger. This makes the hole larger. Second reason, you now have a weaker tire in the area of the plug albeit will hold air. I just don't like driving down the freeways at 60 mph knowing I have a tire that has been plugged.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #26
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Looks like everyone has already experienced the long fill time with those little 12v compressors. Just this last week (before I saw this thread) I decided to test the one I've been carrying around in my TV box for the last 3 years. Yup - 15 minutes to go from 60 to 80 pounds in just one tire, then a minimum of 20 minutes cool down before I could start on the next tire. It worked, but I'm glad I was in a campground and just experimenting. I'm not sure I want to carry around a unit as big as a pancake compressor, but will be looking to replace what I've got with something a bit more powerful.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #27
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Orv,
I too would be apprehensive about using a plug for a permanent fix. It just seems like it would be a good alternative to changing a tire on the interstate(or anywhere for that matter) and getting it to a service center. Of course a good road service would definitely be better.

You now have me curious how RV dealers and service centers deal with that.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #28
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
A plug is a good way to do a temporary fix on a tubeless tire. I have used them for years on our touring motorcycle, and when you only have two tires you get picky. They have at times lasted quite a while but we're talking relatively light loads here. I would not hesitate to use them on the Monty to get off the side of the road and to a tire shop. There are at least two different kinds of plugs I've seen. One uses a plug that looks like a six inch stick of rubber that you cut to fit. The other type, the one I've used, looks like a rubber rivet and is inserted using a gun type affair. The reamer is not to make the hole bigger its purpose is to make sure the object that flattened the tire is removed or push thru and out of the way. The gun inserts the plug untill the flat surface on the base of the plug head is inside the tire and expanded then you pull back on the plug till it seats, trim any excess off, and inflate the tire. Sometimes they work great, sometimes not so great, it usually depends on the size and shape of the puncture. But with a little practice on old tires laying around it is mush faster than changing a tire. Especially on a motorcycle.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote