Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
AC Issue upstairs.....

I responded to another similar post, but still wanted to start a new thread to get some attention, Im so frustrated. Been having this problem since day one. My upstairs AC will turn on and cool the room to the set temperature on the thermostat, and then shut off, as it is supposed to. When the temp rises in the room, it will not kick back on, unless I shut it off, and back on again. I have had it in to CW twice for this, the first time they replaced the thermostat, which didn't resolve it. This last time, they replaced the control board, at the direction of Dometic, that didn't resolve it either. Anyone, any ideas, tricks, tips. BTW, this has nothing to do with the unit being in HOI, LO, or AUTO, results are the same. and it is not freezing up, as it happens the first time I turn it on. While testing it tonight, it ran for about 5 minutes to get to temp, then shut off. I used a hair dryer to raise the temp, and it didn't kick on as it should. Temp here right now is about 60 degrees outside, and not humid.

kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
Did they replace the tstat with the same model? I saw in some other posts that there was a bad model out there doing what yours seems to be doing. I don't recall which one it was, you can probably find out in some of the past posts.
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
actually, no it is not the same model. it is a different one they installed.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Their is a freeze/frost sensor that should be mounted in the fins of the evaporator coil.one of my units it was laying in the drain gutter the other mounted in the wrong area should be mounted lower right side of the coil about an inch from the the bottom of the coil.
I made the fix in Oct seems to have fixed our problem but got cool and could no longer test
Headed North in a few weeks anxious to see if this fixed the problem
I have two Dometic Brisk Air II units
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
what does this freeze / frost sensor look like? Id like to look and see if that is my issue.
I have another new TStat installed last night, the unit ran and shut down as expected, sometime overnight. This morning I checked on it, the unit was off, it was cool inside. I turned the tstat down to 56 degress and it never kicked on. I am going to stop after work today, in theory , the unit should be running, since it is going to be 90 here today. if it is not, and its hot on the coach, ill know that it was not cycling on and off as it was supposed to . Id like to do the test and see use a hair dryer and see if it kicks on and off with me there. CW says they test it each time, and it works, I am starting to wonder if in fact when I let it run overnight, that its freezing up and this is when the problem occurs. Did someone say on a thread that the fan should be left on HI or LO instead of auto to keep it from freezing?
Old 06-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Sensor looks like a small silver pencil with a metal pigtail going to a electrical box. It should be stuck in the fins in the lower part of the evaporator coil. The fan should be set on HI not auto.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Good discription should be stuck in the bottom of the evaporator coil left side approx 1 inch from the bottom of the coil
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
uptrapper
Established Member

M.O.C. #17903
I'm having the same problem with both of my AC's I agree it's not a freezing problem. On a hot day it will run all day as long as it never gets to the set temperature. On a cooler day it runs and cools just fine until it hits the set temp it then shuts off and will never turn back on. I'd love to know the answer.

Mike
uptrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
Poppa Bear 62
Established Member

M.O.C. #20004
Duotherm issue

I`m new to the forum so apologize if I am doing something wrong. I have dual AC units. I have the original 5 button control panel.
Both units worked last fall. I went to turn the AC units on yesterday and only the one works. I can see and modify the settings on the one zone, but the other zone is blank. If I turn the control panel off and back on then I see the other zone and can modify it, but it goes blank again after a few seconds. Can someone point me in the right direction???
Poppa Bear 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:35 AM   #10
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Is this happening with the dual zone T-stats only or in coaches with individual T-stats as well?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #11
Poppa Bear 62
Established Member

M.O.C. #20004
Not sure what you are asking
Old 06-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa Bear 62 View Post
Not sure what you are asking
Keystone had been installing 2 AC units with a 2 zone T-stat. I read Keystone went back to a separate T-stat for each unit. Is the problem with the zone T-stat or does it occur with separate ones as well? My neighbor with a 2015 has the problem with his zoned units. My 2017 HC has separate units but has not been used enough to determine if it will follow.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:55 AM   #13
Poppa Bear 62
Established Member

M.O.C. #20004
It is a 2 Zone T-stat The one zone still operates and the other zone on the same t-stat goes blank.
Wouldn`t there be a separate temp sensor be in each end of the unit???
Old 06-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I think eliminating the 2 zone T-stat "due to customers finding it confusing" may be an excuse.