Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2004, 03:49 AM   #1
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
More on wireless

Since joining only a week ago, I have noticed a few comments about wireless internet connections, most with rather disappointing results.
I am a self employed computer tech, have owned my own business for almost 25 years now, and have done many wireless installs.
I did a site survey for a KOA in Colorado a year ago, and I can tell you wireless in a RV park is not an easy task.
The signal trasmitted does not have much power behind it. That's why it is limited to 300 feet, LINE OF SIGHT, with NO obstructions. By the time the signal gets through an aluminum trailer, it's pretty much shot. While doing the KOA survey, we tested the signal behind a variety of 5th wheels and mhomes, with pretty much the same results.
Many of the wireless receivers in notebook computers tend to be directional, if you turn the notebook 90 degrees, you might either cancel or double your signal strength.
Here is one suggestion that I have not tried, but should certainly work while you're in a RV park!
Purchase one of the extension antennas, some of these require an AC power source. Rig the antenna up to your external TV antenna, so that you get elevation, and you can even adjust the "directionality" by turning the antenna from the inside.
I don't have access to a wireless park at the moment, but if someone would want to try this, let us know the results!
One in-home install wound up trying to get the signal through 5 walls and the Central Furnace!, Replacing the internal PC antenna with a external ethernet-wireless bridge (DLINK DWL810) gave us a moveable antenna that solved the problem.

Al and Rexann Schlafli
2001 3280RL
2000 F-350 Powerstroke 4WD SuperCab long bed
2 kids in college, gotta keep working!

skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote