Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
Anyone have a mosquito bite home remedy?

Phil & I went out geocaching the other day and I always wear jeans and hiking boots. Well, this one time I didn't and instead wore shorts and sandals and am I ever paying the price! I have 42 (and yes I counted) mosquito bites just on my lower calves, ankles, and tops of my feet. I've practically bathed in calamine lotion (doesn't work for me) and last night I made up a paste of baking soda with a little water mixed in and lathered that on my legs and ankles. That seemed to help but what a mess. Once it dries it flakes off with any slight movement and it can't be worn under clothing. It vacuums up easily but sleeping in the bed is out of the question. Today we went to a sports store and I bought Mitigator and StingEze. They take the edge off, but the itchiness is still there driving me crazy. I find that at night is the worst and usually wake myself up clawing at my legs -- something I restrain during the day. I've also tried cortizone cream and it's not much help either. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Oh, by the way, Phil wore shorts also and he didn't get a single bite. The old fart is just too bitter and tough tasting I guess!

catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Mosquitos eat me alive too! I feel your pain. I find that chigarid put on them will stop the itch. As will Caladryl. It's basically clear Calamine lotion that dries with a film over the bug bite. You'd probably get the same effect from just painting clear nail polish over them. I've tried everything, vinegar, oatmeal baths, calamine lotion, etc. No luck till the Chigarid or Caladryl.

And I always wear 99% DEET outside. I know it's bad for me, but I hate being bitten.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I found this in a file I had on helpful tips.....don't know if it will work?

To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area
and you will experience instant relief.

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Try benedril ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I use those "itch stop" creams/liquids, come in a ink pen sized tube with applicator (exact name escapes me)

Benedryl will be of great help after 12 hours, even before,

but, the other stuff, basically is a little tube of ammonia. You dab it on.

Now, ya need to get on as soon as possible, and if you have been scratching/digging at the bite, and the skin is irritated, this is gonna burn like crazy, so, don't dig and apply as soon as possible.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I tried them all. I think the Mitigator and StingEze worked the best. I still have some angry looking red welts but the annoying itchiness is subsiding. Next time I hit the store I'm picking up some B1 vitamin to take. Someone said that affects your body chemistry so that the little buggers don't like your taste.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Cathy- Next time you go out put several dryer sheet in your pockets with some of each sticking out! They will keep the pesky little Alaskan State Birds away! We used them when we were up there and never had a bite. Did get a few chiggers however! Also, they say not to eat bananas if you are going to be outside in the summer! There is suppose to be something in the banana oil that attracts mosquitos! I'll check our homeremedy book and see if there is anything else you can use! I'll repost when I find out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Try raw ammonia or some meat tenderizer
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Hairspray is also supposed to stop the itch.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OK Cathy I'm back with the preventatives and the cures! To prevent the things from biting you here are a few things to try:
1. The dryer sheets- article specified Bounce but any will do and I talk from experience here!
2. Vitamin B-1 as mentioned earlier in the thread.
3. Plant marigolds around your house-- little tough to carry a pot of marigolds around with you while you're out and about!
5. A 50/50 mix of Avon Skin So Soft and alcohol! Not the drinking kind!
6. Dab on some pure clear vanilla before going out! How this works is beyond me but it does. I would have thought it would attract them but it doesn't.

Cure for after the bites:

Vicks Vapor Rub-- This does work since the DW uses it on her chiggers also. She said it will not make them disappear but will cause the welts to go down and disappear in less than a week. It also stops the itching.

There's also the final cure for the things--- Buy a FROG and keep it on your shoulder with you while you're out and about!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Rhondo hit the nail on the head with the Marigolds. We use the marigold spray on the horses to keep mosquitoes and flys away. I also sale a ton of it at the feed store where I work part time. You should be able to find it on the internet pretty cheap. It usually runs about $14.00 for the big bottle. We don't carry the small bottles so not sure about them.
One other thing for the bites is a product your doctor can prescribe called Cortane-B. I use this stuff for chigger bites and man does it help!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
If you dare...apply ice on the bite.

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We use Chiggerex Plus for all of our bites. It contains 5% Bensocaine, Aloe Vera and Chamomile. It will even work on bull nettle etc.

Glad to know about the B 1, guess we need to buy some to use while we are down here in the Padre Area adjusting losses.

Bounce will be on the list as well.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Preventative, Rub Orange or Lemon rind on the areas most likely to be bitten.
Stop Itch, Lanacane Maximum Strength Anti-Itch active ingredients 20% Benzocaine, 0.2% Benzethonicum Chloride.

Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #15
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
Thanks all for the info. I've started taking B1 and hopefully that will help keep the little buggers away from me. It takes one bad experience to learn the lesson and I will at least practice a little common sense when I next venture out and make sure I have some bug dope with me!

Cathy
Old 07-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #16
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Apply Absorbine Jr liquid to the bite--makes the itch go away. I use it all of the time as if there is a mosquito or other biting think within 5 miles it will find me every time.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #17
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Absorbine Jr. is the best remedy for bites. we have been using it for years, sometimes you apply twice but it sure works... we live in Ontario where we breed them to ship all over North America.. lol
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #18
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
The shipment hasn't arrived here yet, haven't seen a mosquito since we moved here 3 years ago.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Les-- No fear! I'll just set up my trap and catch you a couple thousand and ship them down to you via Express Mail and you can enjoy them like the rest of us!!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
No one has mentioned ALOVERA. YOu can buy it in gel form or carry a small plant of it with you in a pot. It's great for burns, bites, itches, etc., and if you have a stomach ache it's been said you can eat some to get rid of it. I've not gone that far yet, but I have used it for all the other items. There is almost immediate relieve. Use liberally.

Edited: They also sell it in a spray at pharmacies along with the gel.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote