Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Re: A/C Freezing Up '05 Mountaineer

We were out last week in our new to us FW.Picked it up in December and this was the first time I ran the air for any length of time.It runs fine for a couple of hours and then the air flow inside slows down and the air isn't cold. I turned it off for about 5 minutes and then the water started to run off the roof, kicked it back on and it worked fine again.
Besides cleaning the foam filter is there any other maintenance.

Thanks
Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

Ray

We had a 05 Mountaineer before and had the same problem, found out it was pulling air from the Attic. We used foil tape to close it up better, this seamed to help on ours. Just a suggestion to try, there will be more suggestions to come along.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
turley
Established Member

M.O.C. #8163
being a/c man i found that most a/c need to run on the high fan setting at least that has been my experience...
turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
Same experience as turley. If the fan is on low, run it on high, especially if it is humid outside.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Ray

Ours only had one fan setting and that was High, how about yours?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Same as Cruzin2, someone forgot to put the foil tape to seal out the attic air. It froze every time till we found out what the problem was. Also low fan setting will freeze an A/C up.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yepper, air flow is the key. If the ducting was sized right, you could get by on low, but it is too small, that is, too much resistance in the ducting for the size of the units. You could run it on low speed if you utilized the 'dump damper', the damper that lets all the air blow down into the area below the A/C unit, but then it wouldn't cool the rest of the trailer very well.
All of this speculation is based upon a unit that is in good condition, fan speed, refrigerant charge, and all that stuff.
It's always very hard to troubleshoot a unit over the phone, or Internet, because you just do not have all the facts.
Try the high speed, if it freezes up, try the 'dump damper' It's always possible the main air ducting is blocked by something.
Good luck with it.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
We had the fan on high, the first time it happened we had the ceiling fan running which is under the return. I thought maybe it was resticting the inbound air flow. The next two times the fan was off. All three times we were were basically in the desert, Hemet Ca. and near Quartzite AZ both low humidity.
Where do I look to check the attic leak??

Thanks
Ray
Old 03-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Gary Christy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7469
First Question are you a person that likes it really cold in the coach. Low setpoints and low out side temps, when the days are hot and nights cool and setpoint low = freezeups. Setpoint at or abve 70 deg generally elemantes that. Second a unit alittle low on freon will cool but freeze up after ashort period of time. The time frame you mentioned is about rigth. Hope this helps. As mentioned previosly low air flow as well.
Gary Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:25 AM   #10
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
I had the temp set at 72 and the one day we were outside and it went up to 77 before I realized there was a problem.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our Monty's AC froze up too. We had a Durtherm man out here several times. He taped the attic up, changed a part, and did several other things. He finally said the AC was defective. Durtherm replaced it under warranty. Helps if you have an authorized Durtherm man working with you on this if it has to be replaced.
Some will charge a trip charge but if you shop around some charge less than others. After the AC was replaced it worked fine. In high humidity, low humidity, never had another problem with it freezing.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:22 AM   #12
Gary Christy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7469
Jack
Under those conditions it should not freeze up. Here is one test you can do. With a good thermometer check the supply air temp out of the closes grill to unit. Then check the return air going back in unit. The temp differance should be about 20 deg. Lower dif at say 15 deg. unit could be short of gas. Higher split say 25 deg =low air flow. On my coach I run it on low most of the time with no problems.
P.S. Before checking the air split be sure to start with a clean coil no frost at all.
Gary Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Thanks all. I will try the suggestions and get back to you all.

Thanks
Ray
Old 05-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #14
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Finally got around to messing with the A/C again. I was going to remove the plastic cover to check on the attic sealing tape. Took off the filter and tried to remove the four screws that are visable. Two came out and two just spin and won't back out. Either the factory
or the previous owner put them in too tight and stripped them. There are two round circles on the other end of the A/C grate and I suspect that there might be screws under them. How do I get those covers off.

Also how to I get the stripped screws out.

Thanks
Ray