Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Called Team Montana..Spoke to Craig...Vendor is Irvine Shade & Door, Elkhart, In phone 574-522-1446 There should be a sticker on the shade somewhere,Ours was way on the top out of sight. Spoke to the vendor they are very nice folks and can provide you with what you need to replace or restring the blinds.... You will need to know the width and length.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Can't find the post by John on how to remove the valance other than rip it off the wall. Helen says she will take care of it????
Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rich,

I think OUR shades are held on by brackets UP, way UP on the inside top of the valance. To take them off becomes an exercise for yoga fans! And, I think you need that square headed screw driver thingy (oops there is that word again!).

Ya gotta get the valance off first, there is no doubt about that. Then work on getting off the shades.

simonsrf,

Isn't "thingy" in the dictionary yet?? You are forgiven!

Your description of raising shades is very good, may I add, that we also kinda roll that grabber thingy (oops), aka, the handle. If you roll it out a bit and also put just a tad pressure to pull it away from the window and then raise or lower slowly with even pressure, that helps. SteveR has a great way to describe this, I believe we learned that rolly trick thingy from him. (more thingys than I know what to do with here, )

Knock on wood, we have only had one bad shade and that was over the desk and the holes that the cord goes through enlarged.

We have a love/hate issue with our shades, specially since we have no drapes!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #24
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I found it...Thanks John (OntMont)!

http://tinyurl.com/2t9gfs

Hope this helps!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #25
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Unfortunately, that link does not work. My ISP at the time, anikast.ca was sold to another company, in the process, I lost that website. I'll try to get it reposted somewhere.

In short, the valences are held in place by one or two square headed "Robertson" screws (robertson screwdrivers are color coded by size, the one you want is the Red one, unfortunately, they are hard to find in the U.S.) I find that a long manual screwdriver works best.

Once you have the shade removed, (it is held by two or three more Robertson screws), lay it out on a clear open surface and work carefully and methodically to remove the end caps, slide out the shade, taking particular note of how the strings are threaded, they criss cross inside the rail. (Take pictures if in doubt). Once you figure out how they are strung, it is not hard to replace the cords and reassemble them. Just take your time, and don't rush.

The ones I have restrung, I used white braided nylon mason's line, but you can probably get the proper line from Irvine Shade, of some other source, just make sure it is braided, not twisted.

Now my soap-box piece: Don't tighten the cords any more than is necessary to hold the shades up. Over tightening the cords is what makes them difficult to operate. If you examine the little spool at the bottom you will see that the cord can be wound around them so that you can use them to adjust the cord tension by slightly rotating the spool. This allows you to fine tune the tension and get them operating smoothly and evenly. End of soap-box.

Good luck!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thank you John....Not a job for Ole Rich..Helen can handle it.