Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Maiden Voyage

Well Folks, I reckon we'll be pulling out of port on our maiden voyage within the hour. Didn't get a very early start, but I wanted to make sure everything my feeble mind could think of was taken care of. I'm sure there will be unforseen problems, or irritations, but thanks to all on this forum, we believe we are leaving with alot more knowledge and confidence. It's only a 4 day trip, but it should give us a pretty good idea of how good the Montana is. We'll let you all know how it went when we get back. Thanks to All.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Have fun out there LonnieB, Cant wait to hear how it went.

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Be safe Lonnie and ENJOY! Let us know how it goes!
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
LonnieB, Here's to a fantastic maiden voyage!!
I know the feeling that being a MOC member gives you when you're out there on your own.
Have a great time!!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Maiden Voyage. RV The Movie. Are these 2 things supposed to have anything in common?? Actually, the Montana performed almost flawlessly. The only problem she had was 1 of the rollers on the pocket door between the BR and LR , and that was on the way home. I think someone forgot to latch the plastic lock that holds it in place, so it bounced out. Didn't take long to fix though, a piece of duct tape to hold the roller while I hung the door, flip the lock in place, and on the road again. The "camping" experience was something we almost felt guilty about, LOL. It was way too comfortable. We are now hopelessly in love with our portable castle.
The natural, and "human" side of the trip is where things get a little comical, and a little hairy, once, even scary. We were going down the drive to the highway when we noticed the absence of our dog, Rozz. I stopped, looked, and found her in her favorite place, the seat of my Polaris Ranger. Normally, this is not a problem, but this time it was on a trailer hooked to the rear of the Montana. After calling, begging, pleading, and finally lifting her out, (twice) we were off into the wind, literally. I'm talking about typical High Plains wind, 25 mph sustained with much higher gusts, against the port (left) side, on a 2 lane road that was built for horse drawn wagons and widened 6" when it was paved in the early 60's. Needless to say, it was slow going. Things improved a little when we got to the "good" road, about 130 miles from home. Still 2 lanes but smoother, wider, and the wind had quit. Then we hit I-25 North at Springer, YEEHAW......oops, only about 3 miles, then off again on one of those wagon roads. Into the mountains through Cimmaron, Eagles Nest, Red River, and Questa, to the gravel road of Cabresto Canyon. Up the canyon past a couple of nice campgrounds, one of which we have camped at in the past, toward our ultimate goal, a campsite at the top with beautiful meadows, tall pines & aspen trees, and lush green grass. We have visited this site several times in the past, and always wanted to stay there, now was our chance, if it was vacant. About half way up it's raining a little - no big deal. About 2/3rds of the way up, it's snowing a little - no big deal. About 3/4 of the way up, more snow,sticking to the road,road getting slick, no place to turn around, 11:00 PM - BIG DEAL !! After several minutes of walking around in the slushy, muddy road to evaluate the situation, ( 22' long pickup, 35' long trailer, 14' long trailer attached, 1/2 mile from turn around )OK, decide to keep going up. 4 wheel drive engaged, 1st gear, ease forward. Get through roughest part, 2nd gear, things are looking up. 10 minutes later, WHEW we made it........NOW WHAT?? Stay put and take a chance on getting snowed in? Not us! Back down the mountain, same scenario in reverse order, pull into CG previously passed up for "greener pastures", wiping of the little chrome latch that holds the door of the front compartment open, ( BTW only damage done ) with the corner of the pickup bed due to the difference of the road and CG entrance grades. It is now midnight, it's cold, it's wet, and our nerves are no longer functional. Shut everything down, went into trailer, turned on furnace, and went to bed. The next morning we leveled the trailer, parked the pickup, and spent the next 3 days haveing a wonderfull time. The weather cleared, the snow mostly melted, and we pretty much had the whole mountain to ourselves. All in all, it was the most fun we have had in a long time.
Sorry about the length of this, but I didn't know how to shorten it up, and still "paint" the picture.

Sorry, I forgot to say THANK YOU to the well wishers, Bluegill, Steve & Tara, and Wifeofdano.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:08 AM   #6
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Wow!! What a unique maiden voyage!! And don't apoligize for the length, you tell an awesome tale!! Glad that all turned out great!!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Whoooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeee

What a ride!!

Ever heard the pilot's famous line??? Any landing you survive is a good landing?? Any campout you survive is even better! Bet that trip up and back that snowy road was a bit "exciting"! Ya done good!

Cheers,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:20 AM   #8
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Lonnie,

No apology necessary. It could have been 2 pages longer and would have been great. Thanks for sharing your trip. Sounds like a true adventure. Glad everything turned out OK for you. Now all we need are some pics

I love that part of the country; we went to Red River for family vacations years ago with the kids. We need to go back.

Blue
Old 09-26-2006, 03:30 AM   #9
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
It sounds like a great Maiden Voyage to me! Nothing like making your first trip in the new trailer exciting! Kinda reminds me of our Maiden Voyage....Very different but very exciting to say the least...Glad you decided to get back down that mountain and not get snowed in....Although I must say when we moved up here to Montana we drove pulling the trailer through a lot of slushy snow and it pulled great. I couldn't have been happier because I was driving and I was scared to death. Happy Trails! Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie!

Great story! My worst nightmare - SNOW. Fun driving in it, but not with the Monty on the back. Always pictured it coming around and passing me from the side! It snowed on us coming home from the Dealer. Roads weren't icy, but it sure killed me to put it away dirty.

That must have been close under the nose to grab that door holder!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
TheRanch
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6226
Ya gotta love it!!!! Sounds like ya hadda lot of fun! We enjoyed reading about your adventure!
TheRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sounds like a really great trip and one you will remember for a long time! Glad you like your Monty. Here's to the next great trip!
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sounds like you weathered the storm quite nicely though. Glad you're safe and sound!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #14
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Lonnie,
You tell a great story! Enjoyed every word of it; sent shivers down my spine like a Stephen King novel! Man, you must have nerves of steel to have pulled all that on your Maiden voyage in the snow! Good job fella! I am impressed.
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Lonnie - Maiden voyages are fun and sounds like you put the Monty through the paces. I just hope you don't have any frame or slide problems now that you have voided the warranty.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
You guys are all way too nice, but I thank you anyway. Blue, you're right, you need to get back to Red River and when you get ready, let me know we'll meet you there. The pix are forthcoming, just need a little help from a puter GURU, like maybe, Glenn?. Brad, it was close alright, the road I was turning off of was about a 7% grade, and the CG entrance was about 12%, thats alot of difference. But the only choice I had was another 6 miles down the canyon to another turn around, back up the canyon 6 miles to get in a different entrance to the same CG. I thought, (LOL) I would be ok if I was very carefull and took it slow and easy. I'm just glad it was only the latch. Tara, you flatter me. Maybe once I had nerves of steel, LOL, now they are more like a bowl of limp noodles, that's ok though, I'll get 'em back to normal in no time.
Thanks again, to all of you.

On Edit- Phil, I checked everything out real close when I set up at the CG, and again when I got home. Everything seems to be a-ok, but just for grins why don't you let me in on the voided warranty secret.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
You betcha Lonnie, I'd give ya hollar in a heart beat. Now that you have the experience of the roads in that neck of the woods. You can teach me a thing or two.

I think what Phil was refering to was... you pulling a trailer behind your Monte. If you alter or have a hitch put on your Monte and pull a trailer behind it, then it voids the warranty.

( My DisClaimer )
This is only from what I have read on this forum and I have no personal experience to speak of.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
After reading the edit to my last post I realized that it sounded a bit rude, didn't really mean it to be. Phil, if towing behind the Montana is what you were referring to, I honestly don't feel it's an issue. The reciever hitch was installed at the dealership. It was approved by Jack Sizemore, the owner of the dealership, and according to him, one of the founders of Keystone. However, he would not replace the kingpin hitch with a gooseneck ball hitch unless I signed a waiver releasing Keystone from any warranty on the frame. To keep the warranty, I elected to keep the factory kingpin hitch. If, for some reason the frame fails and Keystone will not stand behind it, I'm certain Jack will. A mans word and a handshake still mean something in this part of the country.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #19
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We were just at the Factory at Goshen this past Saturday for the Rally and Keystone reps were there along with the Montana Service reps. All I know is that they twice said mounting anything to the back of the frame of the Montana voided the warranty. All some people wanted at the meeting was some little ole rack to mount the bicycle on and that was a firm no.
So if you have a dealer that will stand behind you and fix frame and slide issues - you have the best of both worlds.
But looks like the other 99% of us will have to continue to haul our bikes around on ladders that can break. Myself and others were disappointed because there is not a lot of alternatives to hauling bicycles unless you do what I seen one person do and that is mount them on the front of the pickup with a receiver hitch.
When I was at the factory I took a real close look at the rear frame and I believe I can understand their concern. It would probably hold a receiver for a bike rack but like the Keystone guy said - you approve a receiver and somebody would try pulling a bus behind it. LOL. I imagine a lot of legal issues also come into play here as Keystone does not make the frame - Lippert does.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:55 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
lonnie, that was quite a first trip! The one thing I dread is losing traction, Snow is not a RV'ers friend.
You came through it like a veteran, with your sense of humor intact.
The rest of the trips should go well!
Take care, and stay safe.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote