Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #1
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
propane bottle

Has anyone had problems with the tanks refusing to be filled??? valve seems to be stuck, and we don't know how to make it don't.... Glad it is coming summer with only one tank!!!

Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RangerMelB

Has anyone had problems with the tanks refusing to be filled??? valve seems to be stuck, and we don't know how to make it don't.... Glad it is coming summer with only one tank!!!
RangerMelB,

The same thing happened to one of mine the last time I filled them. The guy just banged the tank on the ground on it's side while turning it. There's a float inside that gets stuck. After that it filled just fine.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Thanks Ken.. Just call me Mel, lots less to type. we did that a bit... maybe we'll just have to get STERN with it!
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mel,
I heard that this same problem could happen if you have a long line to the regulator. The propane flows too fast and the "valve" thinks there is a leak and closes. To prevent this open the tank that is farthest from the regulator slowly. No to reset it, yes I hear you have to get a bigger thump, vice hammer.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Bang on the ground worked once for us. Also some fillers seem to open the little vent screw on the valve. Try taking it to somewhere where they do a lot of filling, and really know the ropes with propane tanks.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Mel,

I fill my own propane tanks, ( I own a fleet of school buses that run on propane) . These new style of propane tanks have a Overfill protective valve in them ( sort of a auto shut off )& are very hard to fill. The old style tanks would take maybe 1 to 2 minutes to put 27 litres of propane in them and the new ones might take up to 8 - 9 minutes. very very slow.
maybe there is a special attachment for the new tanks to fill them and i just don't have it.
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, I've had that valve block outgoing propane when the flow was excessive but have never had that situation when having it filled. To get the flow going I turned the bottle clear upside down and back upright several times and let it sit upside down for maybe a minute. It then worked. I may have just been lucky but this has worked all three or four times I've had to do it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Same thing happened to one of my tanks two weeks ago. Haven't been able to fill it yet.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago and the "filler" told me he had no idea what the problem was - evidently the next filler did, because it filled with no problem. Maybe that relief valve is the secret. I'll definitely remember the "thump it on the ground" procedure if it happens again.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:43 AM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I have seen two types of OPD valves. One type has a toilet tank kind of float and the other has a ball check kind of affair. From my understanding, the toilet type can stick, especially if not kept upright. Don't know how to tell them apart without taking unit out or tank.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, did you get that tank cleared and filled?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote